Open Pandora Console... BlitzMax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Open Pandora Console... BlitzMax?

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#1]
Anyone know if (potentially) BlitzMax would run on the Open Pandora (Linux based) console?

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#2]
bmx2 can probly but not blitzmax

bmx2 hasnt actually been made yet though sorry

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#3]
What would be the main issues? Pandora runs full Linux and Open GL. It has 256Mb RAM so it should in theory be OK? unless I'm missing something? ;o)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
What would be the main issues?

If it's running on x86, there should be no issues.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
It doesn't appear to be -- according to Wikipedia it has the following:
600+ MHz OMAP3530 ARM Cortex-A8 (32 Bit) and 430 MHz TMS320C64x+ DSP Core, NEON & TRADE SIMD coprocessor[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_console

At this point in time Blitzmax only runs on x86 (Windows, OSX, Linux) and PPC (OSX), nothing else...

There's a chance that at some point in the future there may be a way with bmx2 since it aims to support 'many additional platforms', but I wouldn't hold my breath at this point. :-?

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#6]
Ah right... thanks for the heads up. :O)

Cold Storage(Posted 2010) [#7]
It has x86 emulation capabilities, but only via Dosbox.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#8]
It has x86 emulation capabilities

I really don't think you want to go there! :-)

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#9]
Augh, I want ARM support!

Yan(Posted 2010) [#10]
ARM Support

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#11]
You know, I don't need to click or even mouseover to know (roughly) what that links to.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#12]
You can install WINE and run the blitzmax game...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#13]
You can install WINE and run the blitzmax game...

It won't work since Wine isn't an emulator but rather a compatibility layer with x86 in mind. Since the pandora is ARM based it won't work.
Also, the device is way to slow to emulate something like windows XP or Seven :( About x86 emulation the current horse power is barely more than a 486\DX.

Bmx2 will certainly have ARM support but it won't probably work out of the box since the Pandora is very specialized. You will have to wait BMX2 and probably add some tweaks before using it.

Better start to develop on the Pandora with C/C++ so no problem with the ARM processor.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#14]
The most ARM-Devices are specialized.
So any Bmx2 App must ported to work with Hardware-XY and Hardware-Z?
I think this is not the sense of Bmx2 i think..

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#15]
But thats what you will be going to do because ARM isn't ARM (See android as worst case example of the worlds of difference on the cpu, gpu and ram end) and mobile isn't mobile.
Assuming you don't intend to run slow because you don't use additional chips like neon etc.

if you don't want that, don't target them, you won't get anything from it other than angry users bombing you with mails on how crappy your app runs on their device (which you didn't have in your test lab)

danvari(Posted 2010) [#16]
i bought blitzmax because it does support "linux", now it does only support "linux 32bit".... for me it sounds like cheating.. sry guys...

byo(Posted 2010) [#17]
i bought blitzmax because it does support "linux", now it does only support "linux 32bit".... for me it sounds like cheating.. sry guys...

No... they're talking about hardware architecture not software. Blitzmax is not supposed to compile code for every machine that runs Linux. It's a PC/Mac games programming language.

Of course Mark has stated on his blog that a new Blitzmax version is on the way someday... we'll have to cross our fingers and wait. :)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#18]
I've been trying to find some definitive guides to give it a go, but most of what I've found is a bit vague - I'd want a page that says "download A, B and C, and here's how you compile a simple hello world binary".

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#19]
Dreamora: i have a wide range test lab (~40 different devices from win. mob. variant to normal small devices (midp1-, midp2-api support, sym etc.). I am knowing good ktools, ant, eclipse, c++, dev-kit etc. I do write about that what i do know:

I think to not use bmx2 so long it does not offer a api wich is not based on abstraction layers per programming lanugae &| project-target (xcode, java&ant, etc.).

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#20]
Brucey,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa239539(VS.60).aspx

;-)

Hehe, sorry not helpful I guess. I've been looking into CE a lot lately though, which is also often ARM. They ported AutoHotKey to it, apparently only took the guy many, many weeks of free time. :-/

theHand(Posted 2010) [#21]
GLBasic can compile for ARM, but from what I understand it is not open source.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#22]
But it's not just ARM you've to worry about. You need to link to the system libraries... so one requires a toolchain that is set up for the task.
It's the same for android (ndk), and that new samsung one... or even wp7... being able to simply compile up some ARM code is only half a job.

which is why I mentioned a lack of definitive guides to setting up the pandora builds.

byo(Posted 2010) [#23]
I'd want a page that says "download A, B and C, and here's how you compile a simple hello world binary".

Unfortunately that's what's in vogue today.
Programming has become so difficult and we're almost having to install many frameworks and applications to be able to compile a Hello World application.

After C++, we're promised a language with no include (recursion) madness. We're past the days of Visual C++ 6.0. Do you remember how many error messages and warnings it'd show you just because of a syntax error. Sometimes you'd be faced with 200. 300 error consecutive error messages (plus the warning messages that were always more harmful than helpful anyway). You needed a pragma just to make VC6 shut the **** up.

To sum it up, I'm seeing lots of new programming languages to become more difficult to install and deploy just because they depend on frameworks and libraries and dependencies.

Tell me if I'm wrong. And I'm sorry if this was uncalled for or offtopic. What Brucey wrote was simply the truth.