Server control

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Server control

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, what is best method to control server (MORPG)(NO MASSIVE). i mean to change weather/exp rate/droprate/spawnrate etc.. or just check online players stats. first i made simple maxgui+raknet server, but there are some problems. When you move server window or dragscrollbar(textarea scrollbars also) then server will "stop" working.. and when i end draging its working again.. <= thats very annoying. now i have 3 different methods to avoid that "locking".
1. Use threads, 2. communicate between "real server" and "gui server", 3. Use "Server Client".

but what are benefits:

1. threads
2. process communicating
3. Local client

and what i think:
1. Threads
-what i have been readed that MaxGUI code must be in MAIN thread and make a new thread to the server.. and then there must be "lock mutex etc..." and i dont know so much about threads.

2. Process communicating
-i dont know if this is possible.. i have "main" server progran. NO console no GUI.. just "tight" mainloop. And then i have other app which is "GUI app" and that is Server control app. this sends commands to "main server" and receive commands FROM "main server".. <= is this possible with pipestream?? if its is can you give some expample code...

3. Server Client
- i think this is easiest way to do this. server is just simple process (systray icon and small window telling server status) and this "Server Client" is just "client" which connect to server and send/receive packets. and this client must be in same local network where "main server" is.

what you think what is best method to do this?

Thareh(Posted 2010) [#2]
Create a console application, with an input line :)
I'm using the module 'grb.conio' for my console apps.
It gives you more control, and your app doesn't have to freeze when you input something.
I can give you an example if you want ;)

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#3]
Cool i will check conio module.