OpenGL bug?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OpenGL bug?

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#1]
Didn't want to post this in the Bug Reports forum until I can confirm it is a real bug...if it is, please move it there.

We just released Eschalon: Book II for Mac and Linux. Now that we have a bunch of people playing it through OpenGL, we are getting reports of glitches. This is on different machines, and it has been reported on all three platforms under OpenGL.

Here are examples of the glitch. Notice all the "P"s using DrawText are solid blocks.

I don't make any special OpenGL calls in my game- it is all standard BlitzMax calls.

Thareh(Posted 2010) [#2]
Perhaps it's your font that's doing it? :O

Tachyon(Posted 2010) [#3]
Nope. The font looks good in DX7 and DX9, as well as using it other applications such as Photoshop.

Also, people who are experiencing this problem can often make it "go away" just by restarting the game.

GW(Posted 2010) [#4]
Is it only the letter 'P'?

rs22(Posted 2010) [#5]
I had a problem with text in OpenGL a while ago. It went away when I updated my drivers.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
You are running out of texture memory, I'd say... P just happens to be the fall-guy

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
Any idea how much video memory the affected computers have?

You may be able to dial down the necessary amount of video ram slightly by using a 16-bit screenmode instead of 24/32?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#8]
Or, if you can get away with it, load the font later than some of the graphics that you only use at the beginning.
Re-loading the font should also get things working again.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#9]
If it was about video memory, then why would there only be trouble with OpenGL?

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#10]
Why not?

beanage(Posted 2010) [#11]
Do textures take up more memory in OpenGL than in DirectX?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#12]
I'm 99% certain this issue has come up before with letter P's going AWOL in GL....

therevills(Posted 2010) [#13]
Ive seen this... was it in Skully's TileMax beta????? Can't remember.... getting old :(

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#14]
you could use a bitmap font instead

in the blitzmax changelog mark updated the library that allows you to load fonts, 'freetype' recently so that might be the problem?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#15]
This "P" issue, might possibly be the weirdest bug I have ever seen.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#16]
I seem to remember someone having problems with the letter P before too...

Cheers
Charlie