3D in Bmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/3D in Bmax

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#1]
I need to be able to show a simple 3D model as a background in a 2D game I'm making. (Think Ikaruga for exactly how I'd be using the background)

What is my best solution? I've never dealt with with 3D in Max before.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#2]
If you know b3d then go with minib3d, it can be used in almost the same way. Apparently Xors is similar too, but windows only (..and iphone :/).

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#3]
If you've already got your game wroking in Max2D, i guess MiniB3d would be easiest as you can still use your existing code.

Cheers
Charlie

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
There are programs that turn 3D models into 2D sprites. Essentially they take a screenshot of the 3D model at each animation frame and save these as ordinary sprites to a regular image format. I've found this is a simple and easy way to get 3D-looking things in a 2D game but without the extra complication.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
Since you said Ikaruga, that means that your background needs to be real-time.
You can use MiniB3D like everyone said - it'd be quick, [somewhat] painless and you get Max2D support to overlay your 2D sprites over the 3D background with blending, alpha, scaling, rotation etc.

You need to use the .B3D file format for that engine, though. You can use several software for the conversion, such as Gile[s], PaceMaker, Blender3D (+ GandalDF plugin), etc.

(note that PaceMaker is a mesh animator, but that still doesn't forbid you to export a static "environment" mesh).

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#6]
I've dealt with B3D before, but my experiences with minib3d, and all third-party bmax modules in general for that matter, have been bad ones.

Well, first-off, where can I download minib3d and what exactly am I supposed to do to make it work.

Second, just because I've dealt with b3d before doesn't mean I'm good at it. Not in any respect. Some kind of example code that does something so simple as move a 3d model would be great.

As for file format, I was planning on using Mappy anyway.

nrasool(Posted 2010) [#7]
Hi there

Have you even looked at the Minib3d forum as the links to download the latest version is in there. The link is: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85487

Download that, unzip it and read the readme.txt file which is in the minib3d folder

It gives two way of using minib3d and there are alot of 3d example, so have a look at that, once you have installed it correctly