Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

Goober(Posted 2010) [#1]
I was wondering if I am able to include .bmx files into a solution file and have syntax highlighting & intellisense for them.

I searched the forum and almost found what I needed, but the link is 2 years old & broken.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#2]
try the blide IDE if you want similar functions to VS

Cheers
Charlie

Goober(Posted 2010) [#3]
Blide IDE? Is that developed by blitz?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
No it's a third party product.
http://blide.org/

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#5]
No, but it's by far the best BlitzMax IDE out there: www.blide.org.

Goober(Posted 2010) [#6]
But, back to my question there is no plug-in currently out there to import into MSVS?

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#7]
As far as I know no.

Goober(Posted 2010) [#8]
Do I have to buy Blide? What if my game is going to be making money?

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#9]
no, there's a free version.

Cheers
Charlie

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#10]
What if my game is going to be making money?
Then you'll have to buy a license. they're very very cheap.

Goober(Posted 2010) [#11]
urg, nevermind then. Ill just deal with the Blitz IDE or ill make my own MSVS plug-in

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#12]
The time you have to invest to get module support etc all working is two magnitudes larger than the small fee for blide, really.

you aren't going to help your productivity in any way with that, especially not if you use the least productive IDE on windows, the official one.

Even Project Studio IDE is better but easily killed by Blide

Goober(Posted 2010) [#13]
least productive? I'm practically in love.

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#14]
Agree on that.

But fullscale autocompletition including autocompletition for own sources and autocompletition for all modules makes it worlds more productive unless you know all modules inside out with all function memorized

Thats what I mean as less productive. Wasting time on the docs that would be self explaining with the superb autocomplete is a whole different world productivity and dev time wise

Goober(Posted 2010) [#15]
Well my nice little intelligence tells me everything I can use!

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2010) [#16]
Don't give up on IDE's man.
Try Protean, I forgot the url. It's cheap, and there are no royalties.
Is that the reason you want to use MSVC.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#17]
MSVC is a damn site more expensive than BLIde. ;)

If you're referring to using a plugin with the free express versions then I'm afraid you're out of luck. The express versions do not support plugins.

Brucey started work on a plugin for Eclipse, but that hasn't had any work done on it in a while: http://code.google.com/p/eclipsemax/

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#18]
Goober: Nobody says anything different.
But even you can't hold 20k functions from the various mods in your head with their full declarations, optional parameters etc.

But Blide can and that without any problem and provide them to you through auto completition.

I would recommend that you at least try it out before you decide that you don't like it and that you rate your own time at $2 to develop your own fullscale plugin over the course of a week or so instead of paying less than half a day of your time is worth to buy Blide

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#19]
There are many times I've discovered methods or fields of the original modules which I never knew existed, by looking through the autocomplete list and reading the descriptions!