Augmented Reality

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Augmented Reality

Pengwin(Posted 2010) [#1]
This has probably been asked before, and if it has, my apologies.

I recently got Invizimals for the PSP (I know, a 38 year old running around trying to catch Pokemon type creatures is a laughable prospect) and I'm fascinated by the AR being used. I can see a lot of games implementing this in the future, as well as the numerous iPhone apps and Eye of Judgement on the PS3 already.

Has anyone worked on a way to do something like this in BlitzMax? Is it even possible? Love to here from anyone about this.

Arowx(Posted 2010) [#2]
Wow that's quite a complex set of technologies being tied together their, 3D, video camera capture, shape recognition, 3d graphics...

Well beyond the basic capabilities of BlitzMax but there are lots of modules available and you can link BlitzMax into c libraries so it's possible just not easy.

wmaass(Posted 2010) [#3]
Actually I believe you can do some stuff via BlitMax and Brucey's OFX module. I had some success creating a "hand-pong" game and also some crude headtracking with it. Not to the level you are talking about but I bet with some time and creativity you could do something cool.

Danny(Posted 2010) [#4]
fwiw,

Dare I say this sort of real-time tracking technology is becoming close to common - with that I mean there are many universities and companies who have developed their own variation of it. But yeah, it is complex stuff because few of them actually work anywhere close to 'good' in most reasonable conditions. But since most companies aren't able to develop a valid business model around it, they sort of disappear back into the shadows again - unfortunately.

The Invizimals uses this star shape thingy for recognition and reference point, but I've seen systems that are able to create a more advanced 3D depth map behind it (working with 2D color footage only!) and enable a 3D character walking around your desk and even behind your own laptop for example - in real time :) It's super cool stuff to play around with.

I believe there are some crude working free and experimental libraries out there (sorry, I used to have links to them at work, but that's a few jobs ago). But I doubt these are up to the level of 'usable' in a commercial game.

But there's no reason why B3d or Max couldn't do this - if you don't do it inside B3D or max :) - Instead a driver can do 98% of the work such as performing the low-res (320x240) video capture, tracking and depth calculations. What it then outputs is a real-time camera and a surface reference - which are just a couple XYZ's that can easily be used by B3D or Max to offset your own scene to. And rendering a few characters with some effects is no biggie..

D.