Blitzmax - Facebook

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax - Facebook

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm not the worlds biggest fan of Facebook, but I do utilise it to play a lot of casual games against friends etc to pass a bit of time now and then.

I see that there are quite a few 'wrappers' out there to allow programmes coded in other languages to be hosted within Facebook and talk to the standard Facebook windows / user profiles, etc.

Not that I would have the least bit of knowledge of how to do this (or for a while at least, wish to try!) but has anyone attempted / considered the possibility of creating a game in Blitzmax that could find its way onto Facebook?

Would be interesting in hearing any thoughts on it as some of the games on there (albeit some of them are particularly bad!) are played by literally millions of people!

Here's something similar, but using Java:

http://gathadams.com/2007/06/18/how-to-write-a-facebook-application-in-10-minutes/

Note: If there is a more suitable sub-forum for this topic, please move as appropriate!

Cheers!

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
Unless you were to embed your app onto the webpage (using some kind of browser exe-plugin framework), it wouldn't be very useful to anyone - without having to download it... which isn't what you are after at all.

Flash is probably your best target at the moment.

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2010) [#3]
Very good point there Brucey and I had a feeling you may be one of the first to reply. ;)

After further reading on some other sites, I learned more about the 'hosting' if you like, of the actual game itself. I did see some examples of 'plugins', but apparently they're quite unreliable and may require further installs, etc. on the users machine, which is in no way ideal.

Oh well, the thoughts and reading passed my lunch-hour!

Cheers,
M.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
Would it not just be a matter of wrapping the REST API?

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/API

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#5]
Or try like OSI/OSA kit or whatever, to embed blitz in a browser, then you can use the iframe to point to it?

Seeming as Unity3d has decent plugins that work quite well, although requiring a downloading, it would be nice is blitz had some reliable and 100% working way to embed games in a webpage without requiring a download, but maybe that's a tall order.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#6]
Even though the majority of facebook gamers elevator doesn't quite reach the top floor, I think that them having to install a plugin (as opposed to adding the app) might strike oddities, and if a single person lies and comments that your game is a virus - which I guaruntee one retard out there will, then it's a bit of a bust.

Facebook is really for marketing interactive web-games, be it php&javascript (For dynamic web interaction), flash, or possibly even java, but requiring 3rd lesser known plugins to download might be a wasteful investment of your time.

Just my thoughts as i've dealt with facebook api, facebook users, and facebook advertising...i'm not trying to drag down your ideas, just giving my thoughts on the process.

Anyhow, good luck.

MikeHart(Posted 2010) [#7]
I guess you guys don't have an IPhone or IPod where Social Scoring systems like Agon, ScoreLoop or OpenFeint is basically a selling point. Of course, any interaction with Social Networks can help pitching your sales and make your game more interesting for the people.

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#8]
Of course, any interaction with Social Networks can help pitching your sales and make your game more interesting for the people.

Yes but using blitz with some 3rd party osakit plugin isn't going to get much of a market, if any, compared to using something like flash in a social network environment.

Are the most popular games on facebook made in unity? (no)