Blitz promotion

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitz promotion

skn3(Posted 2010) [#1]
Brucey I regularly check this forum to see the crazy module work your pumping out. Don't you think it's about time it was integrated into blitz in some way?

It could be via promotion of blitzes feature list to include all of the modules, with download links to uptodate builds.

It could be integrated into the official IDE for the user to install blitz packages from a list.

I just think it's a shame that your modules (And other peoples) are not helping to sell blitzmax (and increase the size o the community) as much as they could.

Recent example would be the torrent module. Even If it was just clearly stated somewhere on the product information it would help things along greatly!

Ps any more thought on doing chromes JavaScript engine as a module.. Heh heh

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#2]
Well there was someone who wrapped the v8 engine but I'm not sure how far that module is now. I believe it was hosted at GitHub but I can't find it anymore.

True, there are a lot of modules out there and some way to index them would be nice. Most of them are available through Subversion or Git repositories. I think a nice tool which helps indexing the modules and a way to retrieve/update them (some GUI or commandline tool) would be welcome addition.

To publicly show what modules are out there a neat web interface and online documentation lookup (like CPAN) would be cool.

Sounds like a nice community project :-). Anyone up for this? (although hosting this kind of stuff can get expensive...)

plash(Posted 2010) [#3]
True, there are a lot of modules out there and some way to index them would be nice. Most of them are available through Subversion or Git repositories. I think a nice tool which helps indexing the modules and a way to retrieve/update them (some GUI or commandline tool) would be welcome addition.
Funny you should mention that.. I was having the same thought just the other day.

Here you'll find the v8 wrapper.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#4]
Well, Perl has CPAN, Ruby has gems (Gemcutter) and RubyForge, PHP has PEAR, Lua has LuaForge and LuaRocks.

But I think CPAN is the best example. It's easy to search and it's easy to retrieve modules.

What about the old "Update Modules" function? Wouldn't that just do to update installed modules? No use to reinvent the wheel if updating is already possible.

Ideally I think would be a website which indexes all modules (authors can manage their own namespace) and can fetch them from the respective repository. Through a website one could individually download a tarball of a module and through some console and/org GUI app someone could easily manage their installed modules. As said earlier the website could also host the documentation. The BBDOC generator is available so that should just work.

I'd be really cool if we could set this up.

plash(Posted 2010) [#5]
The indexing website sounds like a great idea, and I was basically thinking of a gem/aptitude clone.
Ideally, I think, it would be a good idea to have a central sources list (in addition to the site of course) that has all the information for each module: description, getline (svn, git, etc.), dependencies, etc., and continuing with aptitude's model, a way to tie-in third-party source lists.

@Htbaa: Hop on irc, maybe we can get something rollin' =)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#6]
And thus, Maximus is born :-).

Looking forward on the collaboration! Lets see where this takes BlitzMax and the community. Hopefully a clear module listing and updater will be the end result.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
It was Skidracer who created a v8 module for Blitzmax:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84900

skn3(Posted 2010) [#8]
Sweet, what language are we thinking? I can probably donate some time. Got php/XHTML/JavaScript/css/mysql/jquery/mootools/drupal/smarty/Ajax(yes I know it's not a "real" thing and just a term) experience (Its my job).

Don't know if I could take a lead role (time limitations) but I would like to help. Could do some nifty JavaScript stuff or anything needed really.

plash(Posted 2010) [#9]
Sweet, what language are we thinking? I can probably donate some time.
Not sure how the website will work out yet, but for now Maximus will just be a 'sources list'-based grabber and module compiler.
It would be ideal to have the website on GitHub as well for collaboration (maximus-web, or somesuch).

For what it's worth, I'm not much of a web guy :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#10]
Well I am :-P, it's my day job. Perl, PHP, Javascript, CSS, (X)HTML etc. I do 'em all! I prefer MooTools over JQuery by the way, MT just makes more sense. I also manage Linux servers at work so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Looking at the MooTools Forge - Every plugin is hosted at GitHub. They only list the plugins and automatically update their listings if a new tag is pushed to a Git repository.

Not sure if we should use GitHub as our storage provider as it would make us dependant on their tech and service.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#11]
Do we see this having a desktop application of some sort?

Do we see this having a home-created website (with backend)?

Can we get any designers on board to do some layouts?
I can do web "design" to a high standard, but not I am def not as good as a professional designer!

Seems mootools is the choice for any js stuff then! It is by far the better of the two, jQuery requires WAY too many plugins. It also mutates the javascript language into something horrible!

With regards to using a sole resposit service as the main storage provider...

I don't know how complicated it is integrating into most of these hubs, but, perhaps we could have various storage "plugins" for a project within the system. So depeneding on which you select the page would update from the apropriate location. E.g.:

[project storage options]
- No external storage (source code entry into our database.. like a code archives)
- Remotely hosted on server (http://www.yourdomain.com, no automated updates)
- Hosted on GitHub (system will update information direct from git using a cron job)
- Hosted on <insert repositry provider here>

It would be upto the plugin to translate data from the various locations into the fields that get stored into our database.

With that we could simply add new storage plugins over time. The administer of a particular module/project could specify whether they want to override automated update of fields (via a checkbox in the configuration) and then enter the fields that we store into a web form.

Just some thoughts at the moment.

plash(Posted 2010) [#12]
Do we see this having a desktop application of some sort?
Yes, that's what Maximus is.

Do we see this having a home-created website (with backend)?
What do you mean by 'home-created'? A website that can be managed locally or an actual website (I was thinking the latter)?

I don't know how complicated it is integrating into most of these hubs, but, perhaps we could have various storage "plugins" for a project within the system.
To be more clear, I was suggesting GitHub (for the website) merely for the open-source and collaboration aspects (so that anyone can jump on quickly). I don't know if that's what you got from that or not..

So depeneding on which you select the page would update from the apropriate location. E.g.: ...
Yep. That's the idea. You could gather from actual source lists provided by other module developers (Brucey, for example), or tie in modules automatically from repositories such as Git (doesn't have to be bound to GitHub alone - there are others), SVN, (again, this could be SourceForge, GoogleCode..), etc.

Maximus will be based around the master list, which eventually the website will provide (the basis of my ideas).

Rhodesy(Posted 2010) [#13]
Interesting. I'll keep my eye on this.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#14]
I've taken the liberty to create the maximus-web Git repository. I'm currently not at home but will be later today, so then I'll pop-up on IRC again.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#15]
I've already worked on the basics of this. :-p

As far as I'm concerned, the website should be :
* very lightweight (like CPAN)
* basic pages
* minimal imagery
* multilingual
* searchable
* REST API access for apps (downloads via simplified REST-type URLS. - /mod/download/zip/6 )
* on-site repository.
* user-driven release process - with history.
* on-site, searchable bbdoc documentation.

I've been looking at an HMVC/ORM driven site based on Kohana 3.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#16]
The only reason I haven't really mentioned it before, was because I didn't think there'd be that much interest - only once it was finished.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#17]
Nice database layout. Thanks!

With on-site repository do you mean the Maximus website should provide SCM? Because I don't think there's any need for that. There are enough free SCM providers out there. Or do you mean simply hosting the source of a release, like CPAN?

The searchable docs speak for them self. The Maximus website, or service rather I guess, will be and should be a lot like CPAN.

I wonder how important it'll be for the site to be multilingual but I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep all links, menu's etc. localized.

User-driven release process, that's fine, but when a module is hosted inside a public Subversion or Git repository we can make use of tag detection.

Another note, why teams? Is it to have multiple release maintainers?

+1 for the dependency and platform tables by the way.

Considering Kohana. I've heard of it but never used it before. Although I use Zend Framework at work I'm not very happy with how Zend is pushing version requirements and it almost seems like only paid requests are being processed. There are quite some bugs, mostly minor, that are around for ages but simply being ignored. They also don't really care about breaking backwards compatibility.

What does the H in HMVC stand for by the way?

I don't know about Kohana's ORM capabilities but for Perl there's DBIx::Class which is very powerful and easy to use. Also comes with DDL upgrading capability which is nice for upgrading when scaling to multiple servers will be required. Catalyst, currently the most popular MVC framework for Perl has a lot of extensions and is very powerful. But it can be a bit of a dependency hell. There's also Mojolicious, which takes away the dependency hell by being self contained.

A service like this will need to run quite some background jobs and I'm not convinced PHP is suitable for this. But please, do prove me wrong if php-cli has improved over the last years.

For a project like this a stable and good codebase is required. DBIx::Class and Catalyst are just that. Catalyst has plugins for authentiication, authorization and ACL, REST, XML-RPC and what not. These have been very well tested. Kohana's ORM library seems very light/limited compared to DBIx::Class.

I don't want to write off Kohana right away, but the project still seems very young. Having over 3 major releases (1.x, 2.x, 3.x) in only 3 years doesn't look good to me. I can be wrong, but Maximus is supposed to run for a long time, if the core libraries it's running on changes it's API every year we won't get a lot of happy maintainers. That's time being spend on keeping the site compatible with the codebase, instead of being able to improve the service.

Just my 2 cents :-).

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#18]
Or do you mean simply hosting the source of a release, like CPAN?

Yeah. The author will upload a release, filling in the relevant details for it - release notes, etc.

A service like this will need to run quite some background jobs

I wasn't thinking of a service... just a fast, lightweight, central repository, that authors can use to upload their modules, and everyone has very easy access to.

I guess we are looking at this in quite different ways. I even already registered a domain I liked.
But it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#19]
Well it's not something I should come up with by my self. This should be a community project so everyones idea should be looked at. I also don't want to push my preferences. I'd be happy to adjust as long as it's sensible.

Generating the documentation is something that should be run as a background job for one. Fetching sources from repositories and create a tarball out of it is also one of them.

The idea behind it all is that fetching and updating modules should be easy and painless, as well as releasing a module. If I tag a certain commit on one of my Git repositories I don't want to be bothered updating some other site(s) with info, a new download etc. etc. Easy and painless is what I aim for.

On another note; a little bit of more info about CPAN for those unknown to it. CPAN is the module hosting facility for Perl. There is also the cpan commandline utility to install the modules, fetch dependencies and so on. Uploading modules is done through PAUSE, which is also a web interface.

In our case cpan equals maximus. CPAN and PAUSE (the website) equals maximus-web.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#20]
Well it seems like the project has some direction already!

I think we have to remember that the most important part of this project is to make it so the end user does not have to deal with repo's, compiling, versioning, etc (if they choose not to)

Blitz is targeted at all skill-levels, this should be as simple as possible for the user. Ideally a basic "user" should be able to visit the site, search for a particular term like 'webcam', have a very visible 1-click to download a compiled module, extract it into their modules folder and be ready to code.

The extension of the desktop application could be just as easy with an easy to use "package manager" style approach.

I read above mentioned that as little imagery as possible. I think it should be kept to a minimum, but graphics are important to help certain people locate and understand the system. I think it is important to encourage developers to supply some "branding" for their packages. I envisage this to be just a simple icon or small button banner.

Some examples
php -
mootools -
cocos2d -
box2d -

I guess another major question is for actual module/source developers. Not everyone who makes a module is going to be comfortable with GIT and similar systems. They are going to want to use maximus as their only way of releasing modules and source.

I don't know if it is the best idea but I propose that it would be better to focus on making this a platform for blitz developers to release their code and then have a secondary aim of making "importers" that can fetch information from the repositories and add it to maximus.

It depends, do we want to re-invent the wheel and make a collaboration hub that does everything (compiling/documentation/version-tracking), or do we want to just make a glorified blitzmax plugin archive?

Personally I think that there are tons of services that offer the full package; blitzmax just needs something. Users should be able to find something to help with their coding projects, without having to follow a tutorial on compling/version-control. Developers need to be able to quickly manage their module projects without having to "learn" anything in order to use the service.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#21]
Oh and to the question of php running background tasks. I havn't dealt with it much aside from small scale tasks. I have coded a cron task to access a local web address to do a search index on a website system. So there were no issues really and it seems to cope well.

As I said I can't offer full time help on this, so whichever direction it goes I would be happy to help where my skill-set can. I focus a lot on users that are not as tech savvy as say a full-time-developer. Always trying to dumb-down tasks so the user can perform complex operations with as little effort as possible.

plash(Posted 2010) [#22]
There are quite a bit of modules out there on repositories (as are there assorted archives of modules).
The command-line/gui will be quite independent of the site. For non-repo modules, users can just upload their archives to the site (as you already said), and it will be done automatically for repositories (which get repackaged into archive(s)).

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#23]
To me it seems a bit too much to let Maximus download pre-compiled modules. It's not feasible. We'd need build servers for all platforms, some modules might need specific versions of other modules, or even BlitzMax. CPAN doesn't pre-compile modules and that's with good reason.

There are good en beginner-proof guides on setting up MinGW. If someone even considers himself/herself a developer he/she should be able to follow one of those guides to be able to compile modules that require a separate compiler.

Sure, the website could be seen as a module archive, but the app maximus will be the one who fetches and updates your installed modules. We're aiming for both commandline and GUI interfaces for easy operation.

Most modules are hosted inside a Git or Subversion repository, so we'll be aiming that first. Other modules that use other SCM's can be supported later, as well as plain file uploads.

Edit: As Splash said, the website will make sure all modules get properly packed inside a zip file which the maximus app will be able to process.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#24]
Yeah indeed it would not be sensible to have "build" servers, I was suggesting that perhaps the author can specify a current release version and provide the compiled downloads via link, or upload to server (depending on storage/bandwidth capabilities). That way everyone is catered for.

I like the idea of maximus but I feel it should be clear that while the cmd/gui is important, it is just as important for the website to replicate the majority of the function online.

In developing maximus it would give the ability to integrate into the blitz IDE's, which is always a good thing :)

So just to clarify, would the user have the ability to use the maximus-web to manage their module project (upload source, add release notes, comments? etc) or would it be required that GIT/SVN/Other be used to do that? (naturally from what has been discussed, the SVN/GIT method will always be an option)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#25]
I was thinking about being able to upload modules by oneself (without SCM support). So someone would just upload a ZIP file containing the contents of the module. Maximus-web checks the archive and if approved it can be downloaded from the website, or installed through maximus.

I think every release should contain a CHANGES file (although I haven't held myself to that... :-)).

plash(Posted 2010) [#26]
One problem that could arise with pre-compiled modules is that it could be compiled against a newer/older version of BlitzMax (hence, different code in the official modules) from the user's install, resulting in many strange errors.. or none at all (though that isn't to say nothing could be wrong).

It shouldn't be hard to pull the commit info and revision numbers for SVN/Git repositories for version changes, so, again, that is already done for us. Additionally, it would be nice to have editing (and adding, for non-repo'd modules) capabilities for version changes.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#27]
Well to solve the compiled version issue, we could make it so not only does the author have to specify dependencies, but also blitzmax build version.

I think it is sensible to assume that a module author is going to keep their module compatible with the latest blitzmax build.

Are we going to offer support for libraries written in b+ and b3d? (on the website)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#28]
I don't think so, it's a BlitzMax module manager.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#29]
Maximus is now on Twitter as well: http://www.twitter.com/maximusweb

For IRC users and anyone who wants to contribute or talk about the project can connect to irc.blitzed.org and join #maxmimus.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#30]
Cool well let me know if there is any web stuff that can be done, time permitting and will try help :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#31]
Sweet. Thanks for the offer. It's important to get the module fetching and packaging working so the maximus application can download the sources and install them. As soon as that works I'll be working on the front-end of the website, as in viewing and search modules etc. But also the ability to maintain your own namespace(s) and modules.

Currently maximus-web is able to handle single module zipped archives and it can fetch tagged and dev (trunk) versions from a Subversion repository. Although the latter needs some improvement but it's already quite flexible. After that I need to add Git support, which currently is a pain on Windows as it doesn't integrate nicely with the command prompt.

The idea is that when we can automatically fetch and process Subversion and Git repositories the module repository will be kept up to date automatically. In theory this would be enough for maximus to work with. So that's what I'm aiming for first. After that comes the website itself.

By fetching updates from SCM repositories modules will be kept up to date, automatically. So for these modules I've been thinking about parsing the source code of the module, find Import lines to figure out dependencies. For archived uploads this can be done when uploading the module.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#32]
Besides rigz.mod and bah.mod, are there more publicly Subversion hosted modules around? I'd like to test against them with maximus-web so I have different use cases.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#33]
Besides rigz.mod and bah.mod, are there more publicly Subversion hosted modules around?

Here's the ones I'm checking against:

And there's also a long list here of other downloadable content:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=87694

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#34]
Without the guarantee that my SVN will always be working - since they are in SVN - I can't support anything which might make these available as "complete" modules.
Given that this system is being designed to make it easier for general users to gain access to third-party modules I don't really want users to be downloading potentially broken modules of mine. It would reflect poorly on me, given the assumption that they are using an "official" release.
That's why I build proper releases, which are made available as public downloads...

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#35]
@xlsior: thanks

@Brucey: Besides checking out version tags we'll also support dev releases which fetches the latest source available. Dev versions are of course on a use-at-your-own-risk policy.

SCM isn't going to be required for releasing new versions to Maximus, as we're also going to support uploading pre-packed packages (no binaries though, they are stripped) with a simple HTTP upload.

Currently for testing purposes I'm checking out different Subversion hosted modules. As soon as we're going live it's eventually up to the author to decide if he or she wants the versions to be managed automatically (with proper tagging this is a breeze) or upload manually.

By default maximus will download the latest stable tagged version (as in a git tag, or subversion tag). Dev releases have to be forced, something like this:
maximus install bah.maxunit/dev

So dev versions are only installed if the user wants them. Otherwise it grabs the latest tagged version.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#36]
skn3[ac], does your offer on designing a website layout still stand? If so, could you meet us up in #maximus at irc.blitzed.org?

I've started working on the front-end stuff just so we can get manual uploading working soon. But it would be nice if it can get wrapped inside a nice looking layout :-).

Only problem is how you can easily work on the HTML and CSS stuff without really seeing how it looks live. I don't think it's feasible for you to install a complete development environment (Perl, MySQL, MongoDB). But the way I usually start out is converting a graphical design to a single html page so I get a clean template. Which I can later use in the applications' templates.

I'm using reset-min.css from the YUI (Yahoo) toolkit so more or less all browsers will be rendering the site in the same way. For Javascript we'll be using MooTools.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#37]
Ugh, well, I used a template from oswd.org (for now) :-).

I'm steadily adding adding features to the webinterface. Will try to get modscope and module management in there as soon as possible.

Maximus itself is already able to fetch and build modules. So overall it's progressing nicely.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#38]
I will try and have a look at this over the weekend :)

Any sites of interest that people like the look of ?

skn3(Posted 2010) [#39]
Also what "sections" or features does the design need.

- what type of menu ?
- what should appear on the front page ?
- user login box integrated ?
- what colors ?
- etc

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#40]
The colors are up to you I guess. Perhaps a color scheme from the BlitzMax logo could be used?

Front page will just be a normal text page, nothing fancy. Currently my simple horizontal menu would do just fine. There won't be much more than a introduction page, module overview page, a separate Maximus app info + download page. And of course the user login stuff, but when logged in another menu will be shown. It'll replace the current menu. So more or less the same structure as in my screenshot I guess.

Login box: It's just a simple login form on a separate page, not inside the layout which you often see on portals or forums (like phpBB).

skn3(Posted 2010) [#41]
Rodger Dodger, I will take a look into this tomorrow on lunch :)

skn3(Posted 2010) [#42]
Hey, I am still working on this. Just takes longer as dont have much spare time.. will hopefully get it finished at weekend.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#43]
No need to rush :-). I'm taking doctors orders so I'm laying a bit low. Perhaps I'll resume some of the work this weekend.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#44]
heh we have moved :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#45]
Yes I noticed. Makes sense though.

I tried to resume work today but couldn't really get anything done. Ugh, maybe next week.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#46]
Been twiddling with the site skin on and off. Havn't finished, gonna do 10 15 minutes more before calling it a night, but will post a screenie...

skn3(Posted 2010) [#47]
Ok here it is...

This is still a work in progress but here is a list of stuff I have done:
- created a logo in 3d studio max
- created cogs (background cogs) in 3d studio
- created valid xhtml/css layout compatible with ie6,ie7,ie8,ff2,ff3,safari,chrome

The cogs and logo can be rendered at any size if needed for other stuff.

The tabs at the top are not finished yet. :)

Click full fullsize

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#48]
Looking good. It's a clean look and I like the logo, although it does look familiar. Don't know where from but that doesn't matter :-). The 'aximus' in the logo, shouldn't it move to the right a bit more? And maybe some slogan in the rest of the header?

About the tabs, is that a fixed size? I assume they scale?

What about forms. Have you styled form elements? A clean solution I found for styling forms is using definition lists. Works like a charm :-).

I'll be having Friday and Monday off so I hope to get some work done after coming weekend. Need to get maximus-web up to speed with the maximus client.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#49]
Yeah the logo did seem familiar, its probably the cogs!

Someone else mentioned about the 'aximus'. I am probably gonna tweak it and add an outline of the letters that sits infront. Will have a play...

I will try a slogan top right.

The tabs do scale, I am going to make the inactive tabs look different; need to have a play around a bit...

I havn't started any of the form/tag/content themeing yet, they are next. I plan to make some themable building blocks like panels/etc...

Will post some more when get it done :)

skn3(Posted 2010) [#50]
bumpty bump.. I need to do some more :) (just a reminder for myself)

Arowx(Posted 2010) [#51]
This looks like it could be cool, would it integrate into the community IDE?

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#52]
It very well could be. The command line tool could easily integrate with the community IDE. Its interface will allow it to easily be extended with a GUI interface. Or it could be used as an external tool, just like MaxIDE calls bmk. Which might be the preferred method for the community IDE (or even MaxIDE) considering the dependencies maximus has (duct.mod, some htbaapub.mod modules, etc. etc.).

I plan to resume work on maximus-web this week. Instead of focusing on Git and Subversion auto-updates I'll focus on the web-interface first and will allow auto-updating in a later stage through commit-hooks. I'm also going to drop using MongoDB. Mongo is very nice, but to speed up development using plain old MySQL is going to make it all a lot easier. Both for developing the whole thing as well as deploying.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#53]
This is a very cool idea.

Don't forget about Mercurial when you're looking at SCM systems to support. It's almost as popular as git and supported by Google Code.

Muttley

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#54]
Any SCM could be supported as it's all designed in a modular way and it's all just modern Perl (Moose OOP). On top of that it's all open-source so anyone could contribute if they wanted to.

Are you hosting modules in a Mercurial repository? I thought you used Subversion.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#55]
I use both currently.

Mercurial: http://code.google.com/p/retroremakes-framework/
Subversion: http://code.google.com/p/muttmod/

Although I will probably be moving muttmod over to Mercurial soon as well.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#56]
Wow since when is Google Code supporting Mercurial? That's cool I guess.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#57]
Google Code have had Mercurial support for about a year I think.

Even Microsoft let you use Mercurial instead of Team Foundation Server on CodePlex. :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#58]
I plan to get modscope management and module uploading done this week. I'm going for a minimalistic approach meaning I'll focus first on getting the base stuff done so we can do some proper beta testing with Maximus itself.

plash(Posted 2010) [#59]
I'm going for a minimalistic approach meaning I'll focus first on getting the base stuff done so we can do some proper beta testing with Maximus itself.
\o/

skn3(Posted 2010) [#60]
god damn, been soo busy recently. Spare day this weekend so hope it doesn't get eaten up with doing stuff ! so can work on it

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#61]
In my case I'm mostly lazy :-).

Anyway, got the module archive downloading working again, now using MySQL. Yay! But still, much left to do :-).

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#62]
I've added a INSTALL guide for Ubuntu 9.10. This is purely for deployment, although when wanting to set it up yourself for development most steps apply as well. For ease of development I suggest anyone wanting to help out to use the build-in HTTP server (which also doesn't require HTTPS/SSL).

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#63]
Currently running on my desktop inside a virtual server: http://maximus.htbaa.com. Very minimalistic, but uploading single module archives should work.

I'm also running some other stuff on the same server, and the memory is limited to 256MB. I don't have a massive amount of free memory on my desktop, but this is just for testing. Don't expect it to be up and running 24/7. But this does allow you to take a peek.

Edit: Should be A LOT faster now. I wasn't serving static content (images, stylesheets and such) through lighttpd which slowed it all a lot down. Plus I added some SQL optimizations so it should now be lightening fast again :-).

skn3(Posted 2010) [#64]
I am not able to view the link... doh!

plash(Posted 2010) [#65]
He doesn't keep his computer on all the time ;)

Htbaa and myself were talking about hosting last night, and we'll probably test-run it for a bit on Slicehost/Rackspace (once maximus(-web) is ready and Ubuntu 10.04 comes out).

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#66]
yup! It's on now by the way. During the week expect it to be available from 6pm - 11:30/12pm GMT+2. On weekends it's more likely 10am - 1:30am GMT+2.

I think we'll be hosting it 24/7 within a few weeks.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#67]
have a look at http://www.vps.net for hosting!

Some impressive cloud hosting from these guys!

Oh and I have a spare morning tomorrow. Gonna do some web stuff. yay!

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#68]
They seem to offer more RAM and bandwidth for the same amount of money, but 600MHz to run everything on? So far I've had good experiences with Rackspace so I think we'll go with them.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#69]
Ah cool didn't know rackspace had started doing cloud. At work we looked at dedipower and rackspace for dedicated servers. At the time rackspace were incredibly expensive in comparison, but their support/tech lines were good.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#70]
Been doing quite a bit of work for maximus-web this weekend. I have been mostly writing tests but have also started implementation of dependency resolving. Thought I had it working until I found out I'm not making any distinctions between actual module files and example files :-). Luckily my unit tests help out here, hehe.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#71]
Whoop. I got some stuff done too. Tweaked the logo, finished the menutabs, started some building block HTML bits. Added in some nifty mootools templating functions (rounded boxes and error/status/sucess boxes). Hopefully do a bit more tomorrow.

<div class="jsRoundedBox jsCloseable">hello world!</div>

this will make he div with rounded corners and also make it closeable by clicking it (for things like page messages "file uploaded")

the template is designed to use png for images, but it falls back to gif (not as clean edges/blending) when the browser is ie.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#72]
http://widg.it/maximus/

Ok here is where I am at! (see above)

Thats all I can do for now but will get some more done soon.

Bits to notice:
- js themed clickable error boxes
- js themed rounded corners
- js themed input fields
- png (with alpha) theme.
- complete gif graphics replacement for ie6
- javascript form validation (try submitting the form)
- menu tabs

There isn't much left to do, the main bits are to theme page elements and html elements.

ta ta for now :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#73]
That's some very wicked stuff :-). I like it a lot. Nice job! The form warnings are really slick.

I must say I didn't expect you to make it compatible with IE6 :-).

For ease of maintainability, could you split your javascript from the MooTools code?

skn3(Posted 2010) [#74]
Sweet glad you like. The index.php compiles the Css an js at runtime. So can make it use individual files by commenting a few lines. :)
the form balloons are a mootools lib btw! Called formcheck.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#75]
Would it be possible for me to integrate your design now? Or is it still a bit too early?

Any changes after that will have to be made on the Git repo though.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#76]
Resolving dependencies is now working properly. I'm now using a Lexer to strip out important data from the source files. This was new to me though.

Because of my freaking health letting me down, disabling me to use a computer for longer than 10 minutes, I had hoped to getting this done earlier. Oh well, at least it's getting a bit better now and I can type a bit longer. Still not too great :-(.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#77]
Oops sorry didn't see the reply. I will take a look on Sunday and get a bit more done and upload the template to be used.

Blimey whats up with your health? I have a planned operation for a nose correction (breathing issues) but nothing computer debilitating!

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#78]
I'm having pain in the joints of my hands and wrists. It's not RSI but also don't know yet what it is.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#79]
I got serious wrist issues this year. Started using tube-grips any time at a keyboard and it really helps! Doesn't look like Sunday work on the template will be happening but will get it done on Tuesday after work :)

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#80]
So, what's the status?

skn3(Posted 2010) [#81]
Sorry matey I got heavily involved with an "internal" project. Have opened up the editor now to get something over :)

skn3(Posted 2010) [#82]
http://widg.it/maximus/maximus.rar

It will probably need some tweaks but it should work for now.

If you need help working out "bits" then just post and I will respond.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#83]
Thanks. Will implement this soon.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#84]
I'm having a go with it but it seem the compiled css is different from the loose css files. I'm comparing it with your online version and have some big differences. The font is different and the formchecker doesn't work.

Check it out at http://maximus.htbaa.com

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong would be nice. I'm not familiar with formchecker so I've got no clue what's going wrong.

degac(Posted 2010) [#85]
While playing with http://maximus.htbaa.com and I want to note this:

- choose Modules
- choose Duct (for example)
- choose time
- the page now has a 'title' (duct.time)
if you click on DUCT you get back to the 'root' of Duct

- I want go to htbaapub's modules, I need to click to modules link on the toolbar: I will prefer a short link in the modules-page.

And in modules I would like to see a 'search' button (because if I want to look for something about 'time' I dont' want to explore every single modscopes/modules)

Good job! BlitzMax usersbase needs this!

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#86]
Thanks for the feedback degac, much appreciated!

You're right with the navigation. Although the menu you link gets you there it doesn't feel very natural when browsing back.

I'll add the search function on the TODO list. Might be an idea for the client as well.

We've still got a long way to go with both the website and the client, but we're getting there :-).

skn3(Posted 2010) [#87]
I will have a look Monday after work (first oppertunity). Had a quick peek on iPhone and it looks cool. Maybe I could do a "mobile" css file...?

Are we going to try and accomodate the future bmx2 when it gets released?

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#88]
OK that's fine. I can't guarantee it'll be online Monday though. On work days it'll probably online from around 6pm GMT+2 till 11:30pm GMT+2.

Until more information is available about BMX2 I can't say if Maximus (website and client) should support it. For instance, is the module system similar or totally different? And since plash and I are currently the only developers working on Maximus it also depends on us if we're going to get BMX2. The project is fully open source so anyone can hook in, either to add support for it or fork the project for a specialized BMX2 Maximus.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#89]
Formchecker seems to be giving me an error now (at least in Chrome and Firefox). It's also probably the cause of long load times (15.32 sec onload).

FormCheck is not defined
https://maximus.htbaa.com/static/js/template.js
Line 18

This is kind of strange since I load the FormCheck file before the template file. I've tried both the compressed and normal version of formcheck.

Edit: Seems like a syntax error indeed.

Also, small request, could you make a favicon? I tried to do it with Paint.NET but the plugin responsible for it doesn't load or something.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#90]
Run the file: formcheck-1.5-nc.js...

...through the script at this link: http://refresh-sf.com/yui/

There was a bug in the official formcheck plugin which I fixed and forgetfully forget to replicate over to the yui compress version (which I had just downloaded from formcheck plugin page instead).

The compiled css file is as you would have probably seen compiled from the individual css files. I had a look between the two and sites (from my local machine + your live server) I couldn't spot any differences with the css styling. Did you get this fixed?

Let me know if you want any design bits tweaked or page elements added. Eg something to give the FAQ a better layout, some kind of different visual style for questions/answers etc.

http://widg.it/maximus/favicon.ico Here is a fav icon
There is a handy online tool for future reference...
http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#91]
Thanks for the favicon and the link.

I can't try it right now but I did try the page with formcheck-1.5-nc.js and it didn't make a difference.

About the differences: just compare http://maximus.htbaa.com with http://widg.it/maximus. The overall font-size seems bigger. Just compare the menu's and the form fields. The form inputs are bigger on the widg.it site. Which I like better by the way.

Evil doer of this is a font-size:14px; Which isn't in the compiled version. But I can remove this myself.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#92]
I found the problem with formcheck. I used a full blown mootools-more. Formcheck doesn't seem to play nice with that which isn't something I really like...

Do you have a list of which -more components you used? Would be useful when I need to update the -more script or add components.

The long load problem is gone now as well. Although, not really actually. Apache wasn't really performing so I've reinstalled lighttpd. Much quicker now.

skn3(Posted 2010) [#93]
Hmmm interesting! (about the more causing issues)... I will have a deeper look into this at weekend. Hanging over at the mo after football and then early start to queue for iphone4 z_z

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#94]
It seems this is the latest incarnation of FormCheck (http://github.com/fyrye/FormCheck), which is at 1.6. Might try it later.

Currently having a nasty show stopper bug when uploading a non-archive. It magically triggers a eternal loop when the module responsible for it tries to extract it.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#95]
Just a quick heads up. It's been a while since I last posted in this topic but that doesn't mean that Maximus is dead. Unfortunately, due to health issues I'm unable to make much progress on the website. It still needs proper module management and the front-end for SCM auto discovery needs to be done. Auto discovery of modules in multi module hosted repositories (such as duct.mod and bah.mod) works, but lacks the interface to add the modules.

To keep going forward though I've put the current version online on my VPS and it can be reached at maximus.htbaa.com. It should be online 24/7. This means the sources list and archives should always be available. Currently only my modules (htbaapub.mod) are online and are being automatically updated. I could add others for the time being as well, but would like it if each author would create his or her own account and add the SCM configurations to his or her account.

If and when my hands allow it I'll try to add the missing functionality. If time allows it as well. Until then I ask of you to be patient. If not... Well... Try contributing :-).

ima747(Posted 2010) [#96]
This looks fantastic, I hope your health improves and you can keep moving this forwards! Will be happy to contribute if/when I can.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#97]
Glad to see this isn't dead. :D

I've tried to add my module Subversion repository (hosted at Google Code) but it says it can't find any modules. The URL is: http://muttmod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Also, can we have Mercurial support too? My open source game framework is using Mercurial (again hosted at Google Code).

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#98]
Try http://muttmod.googlecode.com/svn/ instead. By default the Subversion driver expects the default structure of /trunk and /tags. Although the codebase has support for it the front-end doesn't allow you to change this yet. In the future you'll also be able to setup tag filters so you can specify tagged versions in your repository, e.g. (logger.mod-1.0.0 etc.)

I just did a test with the modified URL and it discovers just fine.

Mercurial will be added later. My first priority is to get the front-end usable. After that a Mercurial driver wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Last edited 2010

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#99]
@Htbaa: Cool, I've made the necessary change to the URL and it discovered the modules. When will the modules start showing up in the Modules section?

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#100]
I've manually added your modules and have queued a task to generate the module archives.

After auto discovery the author is supposed to fill in missing details. Which is something that's currently missing from the front-end :-). But when entered in the database the back-end handles it fine.

...10 minutes later...

I'm seeing that it's having problems to parse your modules :-P. Your logfilehandler.mod has ModuleInfo lines in /src/TLogFile.bmx. Although commented out my BlitzMax lexer doesn't ignore those lines. Will get to that.

Edit: Seems like it can't open some files which it does for resolving dependencies.

Last edited 2010

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#101]
I've resolved the bug. The job queue has been processed and your modules are online now :-). Any updates to your Subversion repository will be automatically processed on the website. Repositories are checked every hour for updates.

Muttley(Posted 2010) [#102]
Great stuff :)

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#103]
We're back :-)

http://maximus.htbaa.com now hosts the latest and feature complete version of the Maximus website.

It's finally possible to manage your SCM configurations and modules. Both Subversion and Git are supported. Other SCM drivers might come later. The auto-discover function is also fully implemented. This means that if you have multi-module (or even multi-repo) SCM repositories you can let Maximus figure out which modules are in there.

I've been able to successfully auto-discover maxgui, duct, bah, and rigz, as well as some others. Currently I've added htbaapub and maxgui. Plash added duct.

I would like to invite every module author to help test the website by adding your modules. Please try out the auto-discover function for your SCM repositories. When using auto-discovery results are usually available after 30-seconds. Large repositories such as bah take a lot longer. Git performs better than Subversion, but use what you like.

I currently have about 15GB of diskspace reserved for this. I hope this'll be enough. My VPS has about 768MB of RAM which should be enough, but it is running other stuff as well.

Please keep in mind this is just a beta test. Anyone who registered before has to create a new account since I wiped the database. Secure login/signup can be done at https://maximus.htbaa.com/account/login or https://maximus.htbaa.com/account/signup. It's a self-signed certificate so your browser will probably warn about it. But it's perfectly secure to use.

For more information please read our FAQ at http://maximus.htbaa.com/faq

--------

If in the coming week it turns out no modscopes/modules have been added I'll be adding publicly hosted modscopes/modules myself. They'll be under the Maximus account and when requested I'll happily transfer them to your account.

--------

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#104]
Out of curiosity, is anyone still interested in this? So far we haven't had any response and my last post was over 3 weeks ago. Which makes us wonder if anything like this is wanted at all.

The current status of the project is that the website is considered stable and can provide all that's required for the client. The client still needs a little bit of work to make it fully usable, and a lot more to make a user friendly (binary and installable) distribution out of it.

The thing is, the project probably won't get the required effort and polish to make it a lot more user-friendly for the general user if no one's interested. If that's the case then why put any effort in it at all?

So it kind of depends on the interest of the community in this project. Even if there's not interest at all I (and/or perhaps Plash) most likely will put in the effort to get the client in a state where it can successfully install and update modules. If there's hardly any or no interest I'll most likely take the website down and host it in my local network, unavailable for the outside world. I can use my server resources for other stuff. There'll probably be no binary client available as well. Still, the sourcecode is freely available under the MIT license so anyone could in theory host his own module archive and compile the client himself.

PS: I understand that due to the length of this topic not everyone knows what's going on or what Maximus is all about. It does however seems a bit early to make an official announcement on the frontpage when there's no binary for the client ready yet. Because without the client, all you can do is download modules manually and install them by hand. Any thoughts and feedback on this will be much appreciated.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#105]
I can't be bothered reading this thread to find out what it's about. I suggest you start a new thread describing your product and what it does and I will read it :)

kfprimm(Posted 2011) [#106]
I've been curious about it for a while but as I'm only proficient in PHP and Rails, I can't contribute too much to the web app side.

But, I do not mind assisting with the client. I'll fork the repo and take a look at it.

Also, I've attempted to sign up but it keeps telling me that my passwords do not match. I've tried several times, so either it's got an issue or I have a serious problem!

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#107]
Thanks for the report kfprimm. I'll look into it.

That's OK, the website is feature complete for the client so it's not in a need of other contributors. Although all the help is welcome of course :-).

If you're going to help with the client note there are quite a lot of depended modules you need to download (if you don't have them already). Also, gman.zipengine has a bug for which a patch is available (https://gist.github.com/971092) but has not yet been applied by gman.

Some time this weekend I'll make a new post in the forums announcing the beta of the website so the project catches a few more eyes. We'll see from there.

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#108]
Signing up should work again now. Just rebooted the services so should be up in a few minutes.

kfprimm(Posted 2011) [#109]
Working again! Thanks.

Also, could you move the maxb3d, sys87, and prime modscopes to my account (kfprimm, obviously) when you get a chance? Thanks again.

And yeah, I managed to collect all the modules. (I think this a further proof of why we need a module hosting service!) I'll apply the patch.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#110]
I assigned the modscopes and SCM configurations to your account. You should be able to manage them now. Let me know if this is not the case.

Yup, that's exactly one of the reasons why we need a central module hosting service and a client to install them. I for one am not very happy to manually update all these different Git and Subversion repositories. It just takes too much time to have them all updated.

Also, with Maximus you can install only those modules you need, instead of entire modscopes. For large modscopes such as bah.mod which takes a lot of time to compile this is especially nice.

kfprimm(Posted 2011) [#111]
Looks like everything is in order!

jsp(Posted 2011) [#112]
I try to compile the client but get:

Executing:maximus.exe
Automatically updating old sources...
fetching: http://maximus.htbaa.com/module/sources/json -> sources.tmp ...............
[ERROR] Failed to fetch sources
Reason: Bad response code: 0

Process complete

Anything I overlooked?

plash(Posted 2011) [#113]
@jsp: Can you access http://maximus.htbaa.com/module/sources/json in a browser?

jsp(Posted 2011) [#114]
Yes I can

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#115]
Can't replicate it. After setting BMXPATH I can use it just fine.

set BMXPATH=C:\BlitzMax

I think in your case it can't write to sources.tmp. I'm on Windows 7 and it stores it's files here: C:\Users\christiaan\AppData\Roaming\maximus

Are all your modules up to date (most recent version)?

plash(Posted 2011) [#116]
@Htbaa: The errors for write permissions and response codes are quite different; the log jsp posted is implying he is getting a response code of 0 from either curl or the server. Even if Maximus was failing to recognize a write permission error, it still should've returned a proper code from the GET.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#117]
I think it's because of outdated modules. The error comes from cURL.

Jsp: Make sure bah.libcurlssl and htbaapub.rest are up to date. Also install OpenSSL 1.0.0.4.

jsp(Posted 2011) [#118]
Cool, it's working now!
Htbaa you were right, the was a newer version of bah.libcurlssl.
But after updating I got an error during compile: ld.exe: cannot find -lssleay32 and I had to rename
ssleay32.a to libssleay32.a in C:\MinGW\lib to get rid of this.

Probably it's best to provide the client precompiled, but I understand it's not yet ready. So what is still missing?

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#119]
Technically using bah.libcurl would suffice, but htbaapub.rest is linked to the SSL interface so will have to use bah.libcurlssl. I simply use the OpenSSL setup which I believe makes sure the linkable files are put on the right places.

We currently need to implement support for the meta.maximus file. This file will contain a bit of information about the installed module, allowing the client to see if the module is being managed by it and if it should update to a more current version or not.

That's the main reason there's no binary yet. But other than that it seems to work fine. Though not tested a whole lot.

Other than that some minor stuff. Module listing isn't alphabetically sorted I believe :-).

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#120]
What they should do is set up a user store for BMX modules. Then module authors would have a motivation to document and support their code.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#121]
Could you please explain? I don't really understand what you mean with that. How is Maximus not a place where authors can store their modules?

kfprimm(Posted 2011) [#122]
I believe he means store as in a place to buy/sell modules.

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#123]
Yeah, they should really make a minimal version of BMX free and then have a store to buy both BRL modules (file io, MaxGUI, etc.) and third party modules, and BRL takes a 30% cut.

-No additional development work of BMX required.
-New features get added by third parties, but BRL doesn't have to take responsibility for them.
-10X increase of user base that will buy stuff from the store. I can't imagine BlitzMax is reaching many new customers right now.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#124]
potentially buy from the store, that is; those who prefer to get a free version probably don't want to purchase anything.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#125]
Well, that's usually when Open Source Software jumps in, if there's no provided solution one will be created.

The amount of free and good quality modules by far outnumber the amount of commercially available modules. So I highly doubt if anyone would be waiting for a module-store. Like Kryzon says, it's not guaranteed people will actually buy something.

It's a little too late for that for BlitzMax if you ask me. Perhaps for Monkey, but if BRL decides to do so they should do it soon.

John G(Posted 2011) [#126]
Would sure like to hear from BRL reasonably soon whether BMax will be updated for iOSX 10.7 and Windows 8. I proposed an annual subscription model for BMax but was shouted down by the majority here. I believe more free Modules would be paid (and maintained) if there were some repeat income potential.

Looking back on 29 years of programming, way too much time/effort was wasted switching languages! My recent app/game programming has been mostly hobby.

PS: Just to be clear regarding the subscription idea, you would be able to use whatever you purchased forever. If Windows, Apple, or Linux breaks what was previously working with new OS versions, you would have to pay for BMax/Module updates following one year of free updates.

Muttley(Posted 2011) [#127]
Great to see this still moving forward. I've just re-created my account, but though my modules are included they're not associated with my account. Any way to fix this?

Also, I'm definitely willing to help out with the client. Will get git installed (I usually use Mercurial or Subversion) and aquaint myself with the code.

How difficuly would Mercuruial support be? I'd like to get my game framework up on there too. :)

JoshK(Posted 2011) [#128]
This is why free upgrades for life is a bad idea:

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#129]
@Muttley: I assigned the muttley modscope to you, as well as the SCM configuration. Concerning Mercurial, I have a ticket open on that one. I have zero experience with Mercurial, but figure the process is much like Git. If you know a little bit of Perl you could give it a go if you want by taking a look at the Git driver.

I have yet to install Mercurial and haven't had much time for it yet. Might plan some time on it soon though and stick it in the 1.0.0 release. But no guarantees on that.

Concerning the client, Plash told me he no longer has any interest on working on Maximus. For several reasons, but the main reason being he no longer uses BlitzMax anymore. Which is fine and I can fully understand. I'd like to thank him for his immense contributions to the project.

With that it means that the Maximus client no longer has a core developer. I do intend to pick it up and continue work on it. But welcome the help of anyone else.

I am happy to see there are at least several positive replies in here which show there's still interest in this project :-).

Muttley(Posted 2011) [#130]
I'll have a look at creating a Mercurial module. I'm a Perl coder by trade (for my sins). ;)

I've grabbed the client code now as well, so will have a root around to see what's what. :)

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#131]
Nothing wrong with Perl ;-).

Make sure gman.zipengine is patched. Last time I checked gman hadn't updated his module yet, even though he said he applied the patch. An official release might come later though. Otherwise I could upload a patched version to Maximus some time soon :-).

PS: When you tag a module release don't forget to update its version before you tag it :-) http://code.google.com/p/muttmod/source/browse/tags/stack.mod-1.0.4/stack.bmx. The tag is 1.0.4 but the ModuleInfo part still says 1.0.3.

PS 2: Alongside with maximus-web I'm now using the git-flow model for the Maximus client as well. You don't have to use it, but do note that from now on all development will be done on the branch develop, and no longer master. The master branch is supposed to always be in a stable state.

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#132]
I am happy to announce the first public beta of the Maximus client! Maximus 0.9.0 was just released.

You can get a Windows binary from here: https://github.com/downloads/maximos/maximus/maximus-0.9.0-win32.zip (914KB)

If you want to compile the client yourself (Linux, Mac OS X) you can download the source here: https://github.com/maximos/maximus/zipball/0.9.0

Main feature is installing modules that are available from the Maximus website. Modules installed outside of the Maximus client won't be touched, so existing modules will stay untouched. Even so, please remember this is a beta release so no guarantees.

I'd like anyone who's interested in the project to help test this release and report any bugs you find at the issue tracker.

Please read the README first as it contains important information about the environment variable BMXPATH.

As soon as we can consider the client stable and reliable I'll get the 1.0.0 release out, get the website up to date on the client and create a usable installer for the client (would anyone like an installer at all?). When 1.0.0. is ready I'll also make the official public announcement on the frontpage of this website.

Thanks, and have fun.

Update: The website has also been updated with downloads to the client: http://maximus.htbaa.com/client

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#133]
For ease of use I've also created a installer with InnoSetup.

https://github.com/downloads/maximos/maximus/Maximus-0.9.0.exe

This will install Maximus to C:/Program Files/Maximus (or any other directory) and also update your PATH (if you want to) so you can simply call maximus from the command line. Uninstalling Maximus will reset PATH to its original value.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2011) [#134]
Can anyone post a link to the linux build? thanks

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#135]
There's no Linux build (yet). I'm not currently running Linux so I can't build one. Maybe I'll get a virtual machine up and running later and compile a Linux binary.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2011) [#136]
Ok I tried to build and got all the dependencies just to notice that my unstable packages was not compatible with with the stable release of libssl... :ยง

Sub_Zero(Posted 2011) [#137]
Ok now i've built the linux bin... Check your email, I've attached it there...

Anyway, I get this when running it:

jalla@debian:~$ ./maximus
Automatically updating old sources...
fetching: http://maximus.htbaa.com/module/sources/json -> sources.tmp ................
[ERROR] Failed to fetch sources
Reason: Bad response code: 0

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#138]
Thanks for taking the effort to compile it for Linux, got your e-mail.

The reason you're getting this error is because of some outdated modules (so it seems, JSP had the same issues)

Make sure bah.libcurlssl and htbaapub.rest are up to date.

Have you also patched gman.zipengine? You can get the patch here: https://gist.github.com/971092 (small 1 line change)

Sub_Zero(Posted 2011) [#139]
Ok I've successfully built the maximus bin for linux now... check your email

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#140]
Thanks to Sub_Zero we now have a binary for Linux. Get it here: https://github.com/downloads/maximos/maximus/maximus-0.9.0-linux.tar.gz

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#141]
Not sure if anyone is waiting for this (or hearing me talk Engrish :-D) but I created a screencast on how to install, configure and use the Maximus client.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBEVIfRRwlQ

Do excuse my Engrish, I'm not used to talk in English a lot. I usually only type it. Also, first time I created a screencast. Which was fun :-P. It does however has a few synchronization issues with the sound. For some strange reason the load on my system skyrocketed.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#142]
Maximus 1.0.0 available now (binaries for Windows and Linux available, as well as a installer for Windows).

Frontpage announcement coming up soon.

Get the client here.