OpenVG ^| DirectDraw && BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/OpenVG ^| DirectDraw && BlitzMax

beanage(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey,

just popping in to poll some intelligent opinions. I recently came across some theory about OpenVG (and presumably its commercial complement of DirectDraw), and how its so more fast [and intuitive] than OpenGL concerning 2D Graphics. Now, question is obvious, why would you NOT want to use those APIs in bMax instad of GL_ORTHO? ...

So there are guessable reasons:
- Lack of widespread OpenVG drivers (?)
- Need for Implementation of OpenGL ES to maintain the ability of direct OpenGL Command calls in BlitzMax Code despite OpenVG deployment
- BlitzMax Users are to be able to easily modifiy and understand existing BlitzMax Graphics driver code. OpenGL knowledge is more widespread under those than OpenVG knowledge(?), therefore OpenGL is more appropriate (?)
- The performance improvements of OpenVG are minor than proposed, and irrelevant on a Desktop System (?)

Finally, has there already an attempt on a graphics driver deploying OpenVG [or DirectDraw]? Has anybody experience with those APIs?

Thank you,

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Isn't OpenVG just a vectorgraphics library which runs on top of OpenGL? I fail to really see how it would be `faster than GL` considering GL is hardware accelerated by the GPU?

beanage(Posted 2010) [#3]
Er, no. [afaik], it does NOT run on top of OpenGL [though can be used WITH OpenGL utilizing OpenGL ES], and CAN run hardware accelerated. So, it *might* have a speed benefit from not being forced to fake 2D as Ortho 3D... yea but again, I dont know anything! I am realy just interested in getting whether OpenVG might be a favorable 2D alternative for some reason!

Abrexxes(Posted 2010) [#4]
No, openVL was designed for small screens with small hardware power. In 12 months every f****** mobile device will accelerate openGL ES by hardware and openVL is (like directdraw since directX 8.0) dead.

jm2c