MP3 playback module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/MP3 playback module

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#1]
I need an mp3 playback module. Right now I'm using ogg for the music for my game, and as a result the music alone contributes to about 90% of the total size of the game. mp3s are smaller, but I can't find a way to play them with blitzmax. Help?

EDIT: I'd still like a find, but I definitely can't afford a licence to use it in my game. o_O

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
mp3s are smaller
No they aren't. You get far better compression/quality with OGG. Plus, OGG is licence-free - MP3 isn't.

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#3]
Super-high quality isn't an issue here, and my oggs are huge, and when converted to mp3s they're a decent size.

Is there some sort of ogg compressor I don't know about?
EDIT: Yes, there was. This isn't necessarily an issue now.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
There are a few things you can do to make OGGs smaller.

1. Change from stereo to mono.
2. Compress at a lower bitrate (wouldn't go lower than 64kbps tho).
3. Save as variable bitrate instead of average bitrate.

You could also look at REDi's MaxMod2. If you're playing music, it allows you to stream the OGG file from hard drive, OR, load the OGG file into a bank, and stream it from there. Saves wasting resources by loading and decompressing the whole file at once.

Not sure if MaxMod still supports MP3. The older versions did.

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#5]
I got my solution at http://www.xiph.org/downloads/, they have an OGG compressor and now the file sizes are down to only a megabyte or two each, and there's no noticable drop in sound quality. ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#6]
The number 1 ogg compressor / handling tool is likely Audacity.

Also mp3 are never smaller than ogg on the same quality settings.
Only MP3 Pro are smaller at the same quality settings.

But as other mentioned, MP3 costs you a few thousand bucks per title to be entitled to play back mp3

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#7]
I couldn't find any compression options using audacity.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#8]
I couldn't find any compression options using audacity.

when saving a recording, go to File -> Export, choose the filetype you want, and then click on the 'options' button to set the compression settings.

Pineapple(Posted 2010) [#9]
Thanks much