First screenshot

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/First screenshot

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#1]
Lots of work remaining. Currently the game loads and displays a single "screen" - with the following working:

- Boomerang weapon
- Collision with NPC takes away a life
- Jumping on an NPC kills it
- Boomerang collision kills NPCs

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#2]
I'm retarded. This was supposed to be in a worklog entry. Oh well. What do you think? lol

Ked(Posted 2010) [#3]
Looks retro! (That's a compliment.)

However, I don't think the "mushroom" character fits in very well. I think it needs a 2 pixel line width border or something, like the other tiles.

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yeah I am working hard on trying to get the elements to fit together. It's surprisingly hard. I think I will add a thicker border on them, good idea.

This has been really fun to hack up - first actual game I've written in BM. Everything else I've done was utilities and stuff. We'll see where it goes :)

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#5]
Okay, one more set of shots... and a build! Try it out yourself! See the key controls after download instructions:

Mac users:
Download Davey3.mac.zip. Unpack it somewhere and double-click "Davey" inside it - it should be the only file with a blue BlitzMax icon and has a blue finder highlight. I'll clean up the Mac version pretty soon so it's a bit easier to run.

Windows users:
Download Davey3.sfx.exe and just run it. It will unpack itself into a temporary directory and cleanup after it's done running.

Controls:
Arrows Move
B Throw a boomerang - tip: the boomerang can collect objects for you
Space Jump
D Turn on debug - drops framerate considerably

I need some sleep
Hope you enjoy. I'm going to bed now.

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#6]
If people want to let me know their machine speed/ram/operating system and the framerates you're getting that'd be great. If I turn on debug after playing a bit the framerate is around 60 on my MacBook - drops sharply after turning on debug due to all the text drawing I think. Anyway, stats would be nice, as well as other comments. Thanks!

zambani(Posted 2010) [#7]
Not bad. Is the cave section suppose to me off-limits for now? I don't see a way to pass those 3 mushooms.

P.S. Frame rate stayed at 60 when debug was turned on.

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core 4600+ 2.40Ghz 2.75GB ram

Blueapples(Posted 2010) [#8]
Yeah there are only three screens for now, the last has 3 doors at the end of the hall and there aren't enough keys to open them all. ;-)

Sort of barely keeping up with the game's capabilities as I invent them for screens so it'll be awhile before there is much playable content.

Thanks for the feedback :)