Which audio driver?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Which audio driver?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've deliberately avoided FreeAudio and DirectSound as they both had problems in Vista before, and been using OpenAL.

Now I'm having problems with OpenAL (see the bug reports forum) which I'm told may be a problem with OpenAL itself. I've just tried DirectSound and FreeAudio in Vista, and can see no issue with either.

I also found out that I can use Directsound with MaxMod2, which I didn't know before - thought it was OpenAL only.

Are DirectSound and FreeAudio stable now for Windows? What would my audio choices be for Linux?

Abrexxes(Posted 2010) [#2]
Did you know that BASS has now a Linux port? I this an alternative for you? I think brucey has already covered the linux version in his mod.

The Linux version you can find in the un4seen forum. Win and Mac on the mainpage.

bye

Ked(Posted 2010) [#3]
Are DirectSound and FreeAudio stable now for Windows?

I remember beta testing 7 and DirectSound worked flawlessly. I'm ignorant on how different 7 is from Vista, though, hardware/software-wise.

What would my audio choices be for Linux?

BASS is always a possibility, but is there problems with OpenAL on Linux? IMO, I would rather go with that if nothing is wrong.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
BASS is always a possibility
BASS is an expensive possibility, so it kind of rules itself out right there.

but is there problems with OpenAL on Linux?
The biggest problem I found, is that I don't know how the hell you're meant to install it, or distribute it with your game. I'm new to Linux and there are certain aspects of it (i.e. doing anything) that I find agonising at best, and would be down right impossible without Google.

MGE(Posted 2010) [#5]
Bass is not expensive at all. Research it more. It's a perfect solution for both mac/pc.

*(Posted 2010) [#6]

The biggest problem I found, is that I don't know how the hell you're meant to install it, or distribute it with your game. I'm new to Linux and there are certain aspects of it (i.e. doing anything) that I find agonising at best, and would be down right impossible without Google.

This is the bane of Linux tbh, things that require external libs dont work without em. If I read correctly you can make a script that gets run before you run the game/app and this installs the required lib. something to do with sh or something like that. Purebasic has one that tells you if you have the required libs installed and if not asks you to install them.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
I just got OpenAL installed today and all it does is churn out crackly white noise, with bits of 'proper' sound occasionally.

I've tried to like Linux - I really have. But every experience I have with it is a crap and painful one... almost as if it doesn't want me to like it.