Pantson Theora II

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Pantson Theora II

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#1]
Ok, have the playback of an ogv working - however, when it comes to playing a 2nd video - it results in a segmentation fault.

Any ideas?

markcw(Posted 2010) [#2]
Contact the author?

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#3]
I found a work around the problem.

Using the playback demo - it plays the first video fine.

However playing a second video in the same project resulted in the afore-mentioned error.

So I created a seperate project for playing Ogv video files, then called the executable created via system_

markcw(Posted 2010) [#4]
Sounds like it's not releasing some system resource.

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thats what I figured.

PantsOn(Posted 2010) [#6]
Hi Yeshu777

First of all I must apologise for not replying sooner. I haven't logged onto the BLitz site for an age. TBH I havn't got Blitz installed any more. Not because of its capabilities, but priorities in projects.

Sorry to hear you having issues with the theora plugin.

I'd love to fix it for you, but this may take while. Tomorrow, my first child is due to be born and I feel this may be the ultimate project ;-)

In the gaps between sleeping, feeding and working I'll install Blitz and have alook for you. This may take a while and I will reply when I have an update.

Do you have issues playing 2 movies at the same time, or one after each other?
Are you playing it back yourself, or are you using the PlayTheora command?

I've also noticed that the theora lib has been updated to 1.1, so I may update the code at the same time.

pcjohn(Posted 2010) [#7]
I can confirm that the library has a problem. I set up
a program to cycle through 13 videos in the attract mode of
my game. No matter what I do, after a half hour or so a memory
leak starts. I call GCMEMALLOCED() after each video is played and
while the number stays stable for a half hour, it suddenly increases
after each video is played. Eventually the program crashes. This
happens in both Linux and Windows. I've tried everything including
NULL, CLOSETHEORA, LOCAL, GLOBAL no matter what the same thing
always happens. If you play a single video it is fine but loading a new
video causes the problem to start.

I pulled the video routines from my main game and set them up as
a standalone program and the same thing happens.

JD

LT(Posted 2010) [#8]
Works fine for me, so far. I have incorporated the plugin into my engine and have two videos rendering as textures on two separate objects. Task Manager shows no leaking, but I have not tested for an extended period of time so I will run it overnight to test...

@pantson - Congrats! This seems to be a nice plugin. I'd be more than willing to pay for a version with sound (hint :P)!

LT(Posted 2010) [#9]
I can now also confirm that there is a memory leak. Running it with two videos overnight caused an eventual "Unhandled Memory Exception Error." :(

Cobra Blade(Posted 2011) [#10]
I really like this mod. Its super simple so even the most code illiterate can still use it.

Just pop
Import pantson.theora
at the top and then place
PlayTheora("filename.ogv",xPos,yPos,True)
anywhere in your project... such a bummer about the crash caused if you try to load a different ogv later in the project...

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#11]
Just an FYI: Brucey also created a Theora player module, which adds support for sound with the videos.

bah.theoraplayer, which can be downloaded by SVN at Brucey's repository: http://code.google.com/p/maxmods/source/checkout

Cobra Blade(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thank you for the link xlsior.

Seems a little more complicated and can't seem to get it to work as yet. But I'll keep trying until something happens.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#13]
you'll need:

theoraplayer.mod
theoraplayerbass.mod
theoraplayeropenal.mod

Cobra Blade(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks for being so helpful xlsior.

Its cool though, when searching for more info on the Theora player module I discovered the QuickTime module. It also saves me the step of having to convert my mov videos to ogv every time.