[Suggestion] - Backup Files

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/[Suggestion] - Backup Files

Goober(Posted 2010) [#1]
I couldn't really find a suggestion area so I found this to be the best place.

I simply would like to choose where .bak files are saved. I love the idea, and I do not want to turn the option off. But the folder i am working in really pisses me off as I have to scroll through many different files. (I lay my projects out in a C++ sort of way with header files)

Maybe I missed the setting, but it seems like an easy update that would be useful.

beanage(Posted 2010) [#2]
Thank you, great suggestion! I had to turn bak's off for the exact same reason.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
But the folder i am working in really pisses me off as I have to scroll through many different files
Right-click>>Sort By>>Type.

Danny(Posted 2010) [#4]
Same here - in B3D you could at least set them as 'hidden' ;)

1 vote

Goober(Posted 2010) [#5]
Gfk, admit it, that won't exactly fix the problem.
Everyone just imagine for a second that your working on your own programs... Adding a custom directory is not that hard.

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#6]
I count 4 driver.bmx files in my mod tree, but the custom directory for .baks could of course be made optional, as IMHO all future changes to maxide should be.

I have a half decent archive option that was added to an orphan of maxide which I'm just checking can't be integrated into current ide without any fuss.

Goober(Posted 2010) [#7]
<bump>

GfK(Posted 2010) [#8]
Gfk, admit it, that won't exactly fix the problem.
I'm just highlighting a windows feature that's there to help you find stuff easier. I didn't claim that it fixed the problem.

That aside, you'll probably find it much easier to turn off auto backups completely and use something like TortoiseSVN. Very easy to use and you can revisit any committed code version at any time.

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#9]
Sorry for the delay, still on summer holiday time down under. I've ported the archiving feature from my old max-edit project and it seems to be working.

It's based on latest MaxIDE which seems to be several generations ahead of what Mark has been using for official build so there may be other issues with this beta release which it would be great to know about.

Source and windows executable included, bang the .exe in your BlitzMax folder and you should be good to go. Every save will be archived in %BlitzMax%/History and there is a new History node below the Projects node in the navbar so it's quite quick to review versions.

fork of latest maxide with archived backup feature

dmaz(Posted 2010) [#10]
very nice.... I also like the additional format for bracket matching!

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#11]
Thanks skidracer. Works fine here in OS X.

[edit]Well, apart from it crashing if I change the output Window font and save[/edit]

beanage(Posted 2010) [#12]
Awesome, thanks!