Writing text to a separate command prompt window

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Writing text to a separate command prompt window

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#1]
I want to write a program in Bmax that can send keystrokes directly to an inactive command prompt window. Possible?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Possibly.

I'm pretty sure that there's some code in the code archives that shows how to stuff text from Blitzmax into a different application window (essentially shoving a string into the edit window of an open notepad process), which might work with a command prompt as well...

(Note entirely sure, since the command prompt behaves different than most 'normal' windows, not sure if that will become a problem)

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#3]
It is a problem in AutoIt3, which is why I'm here :/

I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

I found a B+ program for sending keystrokes, but that wouldn't work with an inactive window.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#4]
If you need this for a practical purpose, check out http://www.autohotkey.com/

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#5]
I saw that, and it works, but its syntax is foreign. I was hoping there was another option.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Just in case it helps you, here's the code snippet that will send text to a new notepad session if it's open:

Const WM_SETTEXT = $00C
Const WM_COPYDATA = 74

Extern "Win32"

Function FindWindow( lpClassName$z, lpWindowName$z ) = "FindWindowA@8"
	Function FindWindowEx( hwnd1:Int, hwnd2:Int, lpsz1$z, lpsz2$z ) = "FindWindowExA@16"
	Function SendMessage( hwnd, msg, wparam:Byte Ptr, lparam:Byte Ptr ) = "SendMessageA@16"
	Function GetLastError()

End Extern

'win=FindWindow( "SciCalc", "Calculator" )
win=FindWindow( "NotePad", "Untitled - Notepad" )
edit=FindWindowEx( win, Null, "Edit", Null )

SendMessage( edit, WM_SETTEXT, Null, "16" )

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#7]
I'm not sure how to get that to work with a prompt, but it looks like something that might do well.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Note that the "Edit" field above actually is the name of the main textfield inside notepad. You can find out the names of those through a resource editor which will list them.

In the case of the command prompt that may proof to be a showstopper, since those kind of windows are fairly different from normal GUI ones...