Grey Alien Framework V1.10 released

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Grey Alien Framework V1.10 released

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#1]
This is a support release for existing customers only. I'm afraid that it is not public because Big Fish Games now owns the framework.

Please go here http://greyaliengames.com/forum/ , logon and visit the Framework Downloads forum.

[EDIT] *** Just released V1.11, the final version which is compatible with BMax 1.36. Go get it!

Old text:
Note that this version of the framework is only compatible with V1.35 of Bmax and that I am working with framework customers to make it compatible with BMax V1.36 within the next week.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#2]
Is this even legal? Did you retain the right to still update it for people who had bought it? Just curious.

But, normally, if a company sells the rights of a product to another company, they do not have the right to do anything to it anymore.

I realize that this would put your previous customers in a bind with this new release of BlitzMax, but it is kinda just the way it is in business.

Unless of course, the right to keep the people who had bought it updated was stipulated in your contract with BFG of course.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#3]

Unless of course, the right to keep the people who had bought it updated was stipulated in your contract with BFG of course.

I'm guessing that's the case.

Thanks for the release, Grey. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#4]
Is this even legal? Did you retain the right to still update it for people who had bought it? Just curious.
Yes, I made sure the sale contract allowed me to honour my 1 year of support agreement with customers.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#5]
Big thanks Grey, way to stand by your word! :)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
That's great Grey Alien!

josk(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks for the update.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#8]
Since it's no longer available to new customers, why make an public announcement? Why not just mail your userbase?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#9]
I despise clone factorys such as Big Fish but its cool that they let you do this.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#10]
Do people really buy 10 match 3 games of the exact same kind?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#11]
I dont know but it makes my brain hurt due to the feeling of pc originality dieing game by game.

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#12]
Bah even BFG has some nice new games on there that people like to play :)

@Czar: Bet on it. hobby players / casuals are often genre oriented and buy the "same base mechanic with a twist" over again. And why not, don't forget, its only $6.99 or potentially even less with the club membership. After all you get 10 games for the price of a single retail pc game and its guaranteed that you will spend dozens+ more time on these games than you will do it for a "one way through 5 hours" CoD

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#13]
Since it's no longer available to new customers, why make an public announcement? Why not just mail your userbase?
Your question was already asked and answered here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88088

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#14]
I despise clone factorys such as Big Fish but its cool that they let you do this.
Actually, although Big Fish Games sells plenty of 3rd party clones (because we are a portal), we only make a few games a year, many of which have innovated in a big way and pushed the quality envelope. There's the Mystery Case Files series which started the whole Hidden Object Game genre! (and made it onto Nintendo DS and got to no.1 in the UK chart) Then there's the Azada series which brought back the point and click adventure/puzzle game into casual games (was a big risk at the time it was released). Also check out Drawn for a great looking adventure game. My own games Fairway Solitaire and Unwell Mel put quite a big twist on traditional genres (cards and match-3) and are very popular, check em out sometime. We also have a community site with many original games designed by John Cutter. We've also made a unique MMO called Faunasphere. Plus we have some more interesting things in the pipeline ... Hopefully I've made my point :-)

Yup. Small differences are enough to keep people buying. Do people watch movies of the exact same kind? Do people play AAA games of the exact same kind? Do people eat food of the exact same kind? I believe the answer is yes.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#15]
Thanks for the update Jake :)

MGE(Posted 2009) [#16]
Making a match 3 game is the easy part, getting it in front of enough eye balls to make any money is the hard part. Like Jake says, BFG has a huge number of these eye balls who love to play match 3 variants. ;)

Duckstab[o](Posted 2009) [#17]

lol yeah if you like toast you eat toast same goes for games

ive played rpgs for almost 15 years man if i stop because someone said it was a clone or the sametype of game i would have stopped playing them 14 years ago :)

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#18]
ive played rpgs for almost 15 years man if i stop because someone said it was a clone or the sametype of game i would have stopped playing them 14 years ago :)

wow...or should I say, WoW. ;)

It's true as anything and everything these days contain a clone of 'something'. To be unique anymore, you need to put a bunch of cloned ideas together to make a new mixture - call it game design chemistry.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks for the update Grey.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#20]
lol yeah if you like toast you eat toast same goes for games
Made me chuckle in a special place. :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#21]
Just released V1.11, the final version which is compatible with BMax 1.36. Go get it!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#22]
I'd love to see what you have in there... if only for my own sense of security LOL... I know I know.. I've read it ;)

thalamus(Posted 2010) [#23]
Really disappointed I missed the boat on this. :(

Don't suppose anyone wants to sell their copy to me? :)

(Would that even be legal, Jake?)

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#24]
Yeah I think so. I'd need the name and email of the seller, and yours.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#25]
I'm not using my copy of Grey's framework if you're interested? (and Grey doesn't mind)

I stopped using BlitzMax for game development shortly after buying it (and switching to Mac), so it's just collecting virtual dust, which is a shame, as it's a great framework.

Last edited 2010

GfK(Posted 2010) [#26]
I might have it if thalamus changes his mind. I missed out buying it by a few days. Give him first dibs, though.

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#27]
@GfK: It's been 2 days and I've not heard off thalamus, so please let me know if you are interested in my copy of Grey' framework.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#28]
Doh! Thanks matey but I just got sorted with somebody else selling theirs. I woulda waited if I thought for a second that thalamus was gonna go cold on you.

Soz.

_JIM(Posted 2010) [#29]
I might be interested though :)

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#30]
No worries GfK.

If anyone is interested, please drop me an email.

Amon(Posted 2010) [#31]
Mine is for sale also if anybody wants it! Drop us an email with an offer and I'll email Jake to get the transfer sorted.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#32]
Trading the framework as if it's a limited set of priceless ancient artifacts all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#33]
Why are you people trying to sell your framework license? is it not good?

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#34]
Quite the opposite (in my case). I no longer use BlitzMax for game development, so the framework was not being used. I'd rather see someone else making full use of it.

Last edited 2010

Grey Alien(Posted 2010) [#35]
Ancient "Alien" Artifact.

thalamus(Posted 2010) [#36]
Sorry Joe, had a hectic few weeks - I'll drop you an email off-list...