Avoid V135 RC5!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Avoid V135 RC5!

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

Just a quick note to warn people to avoid V135 rc5!

This contains a bug in the directsound audio driver (which is now the default!) which can cause mysterious 'bad refs' errors at runtime.

Please revert to rc4 instead - this is the version currently available from the account page.

Note that rc4 also has an audio bug, but only in threaded mode.

I'm currently working on a proper fix for this bug (not the half hearted hack I tried in rc5!) which should be out very soon, hopefully tomorrow.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#2]
Good to know, thanks for the warning.

Though, I think you really only need to avoid it if you are going to compile a release. If you are just writing and testing (non sound related stuff), then it really makes no difference since the fix will be out soon (as you say).

As long as the bug can't go crazy and format your hard drive or something. :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
RC4 also has a load of DX9 bugs that were fixed in RC5, so, probably shouldn't rely on that much, either. Wait for the new version.

BladeRunner(Posted 2009) [#4]
time again to whine for SVN. It's just a pain in the ... with all these full installs.

D2006(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's cool, when you have the option to use SVN to get a look in the most current development. But I don't need this and therefore I don't miss it.

It's cool, when you have the option to try out RC versions of new patches and may help with reporting issues. But I don't need this, since I want stable releases to concentrate on my projects.

So it's very uncool, if you have no option and are forced to use RC version of patches. Never knowing when you can use a patch to avoid annoying issues like the one described here.

I didn't pay for that. Just like nobody would have ever paid for the RC versions of Windows 7.