Attaching to apps/games to read/write in RAM

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Attaching to apps/games to read/write in RAM

kronholm(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hey guys :)

I'm trying to make something close to the software called "Cheat Engine", where it is possible to scan the system memory for values, and change them on the fly. For instance granting unlimited lives and whatnot in games.

I've tried in vain now for a couple days to find any info on this, on how to accomplish it in BlitzMax. I thought I'd make a post and see if anyone could be kind enough to throw a bone my way, and point me in the right direction? Maybe someone has a snippet to look at, or knows if I should "just" do this via Extern? (Not too savvy with that yet)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#2]
Modern OS prevent applications for writting and reading to non shared memory areas of other applications. These attempts are called memory access violation, and you shoudn't be able to do it, unless there's a vulnerability on the OS.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#3]
This is a very advanced topic, and you might do better to stick with Cheat Engine for Windows or scanmem for Linux.

kronholm(Posted 2009) [#4]
@ziggy:
I can attach fine to game processes with Cheat Engine, AutoIT, AutoHotkey and similar apps, so should be possible to do the same via. BlitzMax.

@theHand:
Yeah I realize it's advanced, but I can't find any info on how to even get started, trying to make this happen with BlitzMax. And I really want to :)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#5]
You could just get good at the game like a real pro, and not need to cheat ;)

kronholm(Posted 2009) [#6]
Trust me, I'm a pro gamer, I don't need to cheat :) Besides, it's not specifically for gaming.

It's more of a learning thing for me really, for future projects, and also to get started on a new skillset. It interests me a lot. I'd like to be able to poke around in memory and know what I'm doing, and I want to do it from within BlitzMax, which I prefer for coding :)

Zeke(Posted 2009) [#7]
this is what i made...

i dont know if this help you anything...

kronholm(Posted 2009) [#8]
Super! That will definitely help me get started, by the looks of it :) Thank you thank you thank you!!

Is there any chance I could persuade you to translate the comments in finnish to english? :) No biggie if not, just thought I'd ask ;)