BLIde Plus Update 00.09.99-a available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BLIde Plus Update 00.09.99-a available

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
There's a new BLIde Plus update available. For newcomers, BLIde is a powerful IDE for BlitzMax for Windows. You can find more infor about BLIde here: http://www.blide.org

Now, the small changelog for this version:
[*] Local shortcuts window updates faster when code is being edited.

[*] Fixed: The underlaying HTML browser was updating the status bar text even when it was not visible or focused.

[*] Fixed an issue in the Welcome page that was making it possible to load another application in the middle of a debug session, leaving the BLIde debug session in an inconsistant state.

[*] Reduced CPU load when debugging an Application from within BLIde. Data reading and stream flushing is done on separated threads while the main BLIde GUI is left alone processing only any possible windows event.

[*] Fade in/out effect can be disabled for solutions being loaded.

[*] Improvement: Added additional assembly information and strongname to BLIde internal DLLs to benefit more from NGen so BLIde executes a bit faster in some areas

[*] Improvement: Removed offline documentation in favor of smaller updates and deployment. Also, being an online resource, it will be kept updated more easily.

[*] Several fixes on intellisense. Object instancing intellisense now provides much more detailed information.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi Ziggy,

Just updated...

Now when I try to quit BLide I get this error:

[Edit: Fixed :))

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#3]
I get the same error. Windows 7 64bit here.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#4]
Ok. It's a 64 bits error as the Blitz3DSDK dll is 32 bits called from a 64 bits assembly. I'll be providing a patch for this in -hopefully- some minutes.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#5]
EDIT: Commited a small update/patch for 64 bits windows running BLIde. It will come due regular BLIde update system.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
hey ziggy, is there any chance to see Blide on mac?

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
hey ziggy, is there any chance to see Blide on mac?
Likely just as much as it will be seen on Linux.. not at all.

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hey Ziggy!

Is the BLIde syntax engine able to cope with Then'less single-lined If statements, yet? E.g.

If MyFunctionCall() DoThis() Else DoThat()
Last time I checked, it didn't like it.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#9]
@SebHoll: As far as I know, this concrete example works perfectly. Don't know if there's any IF sentence that does not work as expected? As far as I know, there are non issues regarding the code analyzer understanding IF sentences. I've tested it on different source code files from several people and I think any possible issue has been completelly ironed out but, just in case, if there's any concrete sample of code producing false possitives, I would love to take a look to them and fix anything. The small single line if you've written above is properly parsed in current version without any issue.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#10]
@Naughty Alien: That's not planed. I don't code in a Mac. I don't know why but I've tried several times to code in a Mac, and never get used to it. I don't like the whole xcode tools, and the monodevelop IDE is too unstable for me to be used to compile BLIde for the Mac. Also, some components of BLIde depend on windows speciffic APIs (not everything on BLIde is managed .net code). While most of this APIs could be replaced by the OS speciffic counterparts or by Wine-based developments, All in all is not a trivial task and additionally, the amount of work involved in a Mac version of BLIde would make it economically not viable.
If I ever were to make a mac version of BLIde it would mean: Mono has evoluted a lot and it provides a framework also to cover some windows apis (like a managed version of wine). All in all, I would better start from scratch using Java or BlitzMax + wxFramework + wxscintilla instead but, as I've said, I don't see it as a viable project unless somebody wants to pay for the whole development of it.

Other parts of BLIde, like the fontmachine editor, have been developed with mono in mind, and can be runned directly on a Mac or Linux machine with the mono framework installed. It even runs on Linux machines with non x86 processors. BUT, all in all, the GDI+ implementation of mono has some bugs and does not let the Font Machine Editor produce very nice looking bitmap fonts, as oposite to what happens with the same binary files being executed from the original Microsoft .net on a windows machine.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#11]
Can anybody confirm the 64 bits issue if fixed on current 00.09.99-B version?

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2009) [#12]
I am still getting the error therevills describes using version 00.09.99-B

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#13]
@CyBeRGoth: I've sent an email with a Fix I would love you to confirm. I'm 99% sure it's completelly fixed now as I've managed to make BLIde not depend any more in the offending dll. The email has been sent to your BLIde Plus user account associated email. (hope you don't mind).

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2009) [#14]
No problem Ziggy.

I have tried the new version you sent and it works perfectly now :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#15]
Ok then, update commited to all people using any 64 bits version of Windows. Current official version is BLIde Plus 00.09.99-C

Pete Rigz(Posted 2009) [#16]
Can also confirm version 'C' works fine, thanks!

therevills(Posted 2009) [#17]
Thanks for the quick fix Ziggy :)

I've edited my original post, so its a bit less to scroll...

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#18]
Great! Sometimes it's a bit complicated to ensure everything will work out of the box for any possible of the windows plaforms BLIde can run on. Fortunatelly this has been an easy fix!

therevills(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks for implenting the option on the fade in/out... only I thought it wasnt going to dim the background at all... sometimes I remote desktop and operate BLide and the fade/dim really kills the connection.

Also could you please consider my other suggestion about pressing Escape when BLide has focus to kill the running application, soooooo many times Im sure I clicked the button to kill and start typing just to find that I cant!! Pretty please, with sugar on top :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#20]
@therevills: I'll take a look to see what can I do to not dim the background... The problem is that BLIde will be modifing all the IDE layout to load the solution layout, and the amount of flickering and things being moved from one place to another would kill the connection too, and introduce flickering for non remote machines.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#21]
I'm not liking the new unmanaged solutions. I tried it and it created a subfolder for the main project file(?) Then when I tried changing the project folder, the IDE stopped responding. One of the reasons I used BMX is because I don't want to spend a lot of time twiddling around with project settings.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#22]
I'm not liking the new unmanaged solutions. I tried it and it created a subfolder for the main project file(?)
Is this the only thing you don't like? I've always tought that it is far more clean and organized to have each project in a solution stored in its own folder. Anyway, I can make this customizable for you, if you want me to.
Other than that, if you have any constructive suggestions -if you want anything to be improved or whatever- you can make them in the feature request of the BLIde forum website. That's where I look for requests/modification when I'm revising the development schedule for BLIde.
Additionally, as a side note, you have to know that the new unmanaged solution system bases its BLIdeUS files on the XML format, so if you have modified anything that affects the project structure, you can also modify the BLIdeUS by hand, to let BLIde act accordingly when loading the solution. Obviously I'm not expecting people to do this, I'm just saying that it's possible.

Then when I tried changing the project folder, the IDE stopped responding
How did you tried to modify this? I would love to replicate it and ensure BLIde does not stop responding in the next update. Obviously if you've opened the windows explorer and started moving folders and files for your opened project, then you can expect BLIde being unable to find files, etc etc (this will happen in any kind of project on BLIde).

[EDIT:] In next version, you'll be able to disable folder createion for any project added to a solution, so you can have a single folder for a solution and the projects it contains. It is not considered a good practicle for solutions containing more than one project, but for single project solution I don't see any harm, so it's up to the user now to decide. (by default it'll be checked as it is now).

therevills(Posted 2009) [#23]
I prefer the old unmanaged project (which I still use).

Im really liking the option switching between different BlitzMax installations, esp since the release of 1.35.

Another (small) suggestion, could you please show the installation path of the current selected BlitzMax somewhere in the IDE? Maybe in the BLide Engine console? Just to inform the user that their project will be compiled in what BlitzMax verison.

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#24]
New unmanaged solution is fine once you get used to it, it suits multiple projects solution better than old one, you can even have a module project inside.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#25]
New unmanaged solution system, additionaly does not rely on internal code dependencies, but in the project file tree the coder wants. So no need any more for additional media files, no need to refresh the project anytime a file is added, also you can add/remove/rename/move files in a project usually with a single file click, solutions are based on a simple XML schema much more SVN friendly, etc...

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#26]
New update available.
Version 00.10.01-a
changelog:
[*] Removed version information for the now unexistant Blitz3DSDKNet wrapper DLL, as it is no longer needed by BLIde and it does not exists on current BLIde distribution.

[*] Unmanaged solutionnow can be created without the need of a specific folder for the project itself. Anyway, this is not the default behavior.

[*] Committed Tommo changes on the C++ builder parser, so it now highlights symbols properly.

[*] Committed Tommo changes in the ANSI C parser for the same reason.

[*] Implemented new Build option: 'Rebuild ignoring QuickBuild'. When this is selected the solution/file is compiled with Quick Build OFF, even if Quick Build is enabled on the IDE. So in case you have to recompile something after a module/max update or whatever, you don't have to set off Quick Build, build the application, and set Quick Build on again.

[*] Several improvements on BLIde internal memory handling.

[*] BLIde was not releasing a file handle for the BlitzMax changes log information file, so this file could not be updated while BLIde was running.

[*] BLIde was not setting the correct default preferences when the blide framework folder of the host machine was missing.

[*] Changed the fade in/out mechanism so, when disabled, it does not produce any flickering or animation, so it is much more remote desktop friendly.

[*] A license embedding issue in one of the BLIde components was making BLIde display a watermark in some wizard controls. This has been fixed.

Enjoy!

A Free edition update will also come soon (maybe for christmas).

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#27]
Blide 10.0.1-a locking up!

With Learning module Keywords window and Restoring managed solution window open when opening default unmanged solution on BlitzMax 136?

Previously working fine with occasional lock up but after tidying up PC now locks up every time even when launching alternate project!

Windows Vista 64bit

Current Project - SaveTheSillyEarthlings - Game where you battle against peak oil, climate change and time is running out!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#28]
Hi, can you provide an easy step-by-step guide for me to replicate this? I would love to provide a FIX as soon as possible!