Timing method for casual game?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Timing method for casual game?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have done quite alot of searching about various timing methods but... does anyone with experiance in creating casual games (match 3, etc etc) have any suggestions, small code examples to show how to do the timing for these please?

Amon(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi Snixx, I owned the Grey Alien framework when it was for sale. Grey had the timing code he uses in his games as a seperate file which he allowed me to give away (not as mine) with any source code games I released.

It uses his fixed delta time with jitter correction. There's no finer timing code available for blitzmax that I've found to compete with it.

Unfortunately with the sale of the Framework to Bigfish games I don't know how Jake would feel still about allowing the source code to be made available. It was quite some time ago he gave permission, way before the sale of the framework to BFG.

I suppose I could, or you could, email him and point him to this thread. If he is happy still for the source code to be released then I'll release it.

I really do think it would benefit alot of people.

I'll email him now, anyway.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
I asked this same question a while back which led to the creation of this great thread, well worth a read.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=83511#949204

Hope this helps,

Jason.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#4]
Shame it was removed due to the sellout to bigfish. $$$ anyhowwwww... i think i have a perfectly fine method going on atm now. thanks thou

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
I just use the delta version of millisecs() between logic calls and "don't call the logic" if (millisecs()-oldMS) produces a 0 delta.

Am I missing something about timing code that I'm not realizing?

This in conjunction with a Timer seems to work ok... no?

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#6]
I ended up with a fixed logic rate and a tween, Im just a bit OCD on this stuff.