Blitzmax coder for paid projects wanted.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Blitzmax coder for paid projects wanted.

Kemi(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm looking for an experienced Blitzmax-coder for some casual-game projects waiting to be finished (no code yet, you'll start from scratch).

Game style is puzzle, search+find and some action.

Needed technics include pictures, tiles + basic animation & some fx. No big deal on this side.

You will get all finished assets (gfx, sounds, music, concept etc.) and have to create the Blitzmax-code on Mac (!) and a Win-compilation.

Fixed payment for finished project.
Sourcecode has be be documented.

If you are experienced, one project should not take more than 2-3 weeks to finish.
If cooperation works well there'll be at least 10 projects to do.

If you're interested, send your info + some samples of your work.
Absolute reliability is essential!
First project has to be finished within 3 weeks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
hmm I must ask, why must the blitz max code be coded on a mac? would it not be the same to code it on windows and email you the source which should work on a mac just as well???

Winni(Posted 2009) [#3]
hmm I must ask, why must the blitz max code be coded on a mac? would it not be the same to code it on windows and email you the source which should work on a mac just as well???

Do you really still believe in the "write once, compile and run anywhere" myth?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#4]

It depends what you're doing, but if you stick to the default command set you can very easily write BlitzMax code that runs on any supported platform. I wrote the BlitzMax RockOut sample on Windows over a period of (probably) a couple of months, and it ran first time when I tried it on the Mac; same with Linux.

Only using external libraries and reading/writing files manually (ie. ReadByte/WriteByte, etc) are generally a problem, and easily fixed in the latter case with the 'endian' stream functions.

It's not a myth at all.

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#5]
@Winni: In BlitzMax, yes! I've not come across any issues with my code not running on OS X / Linux. As long as you don't do daft things like fail to use compiler directives to only import the DirectX drivers on Windows, etc.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#6]
Eschalon exists as one code base and compiles on Win/Mac-Intel/Mac-PPC/Linux just fine.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#7]
Hehe, Winni do you even use BlitzMax?

John G(Posted 2009) [#8]
Only using external libraries and reading/writing files manually (ie. ReadByte/WriteByte, etc) are generally a problem

What is preferred to 'reading/writing files manually'? Curious.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#9]
They don't always implement the entire standard (whatever that standard is) correctly(we could be talking about Apple/BRL/Microsoft / Sun microsystems (hey, just look at whatever the heck Sun had to do with their website graphics just to (I assume) get their website to display as intended across all browsers)).

I believe what Kemi is saying is that he is in a big hurry and wants close to or zero issues with the game, and does not have the time to test the code him/her-self on a Mac, and requires that the offeree own and have a Mac set up to program on to be able to manage problems as they occur.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#10]
I'm looking for an experienced Blitzmax-coder for some casual-game projects waiting to be finished (no code yet, you'll start from scratch).

Game style is puzzle, search+find and some action.

Funny thats exactly what I'm making (except I don't have graphics, sounds etc) lol...

Unfortunately, your timeline is ridiculously unachievable for me.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#11]
Someones rent must be due, or the bailiffs are knocking! :P

Probably the worst advert for help creating a non-finished, not-existing, puzzle/search/find and some action, I'll own the code (after heavily documentation of it) and I want it yesterday game I've ever seen.

Dabz

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
Honestly 2-3 weeks would produce perhaps the framework of the game... no polish, no beta, no nothing. More of a tech demo level lol

I myself have a serious time restriction working full time and having a family of 3

I just need artwork... I'd even go halvers for a good artist.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#13]
I didn't want to troll Kemi's thread but since you guys have beaten me to it... I doubt any BlitzMax coder, even the famous Grey Alien, could finish a game in 3 weeks. It's just insane.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#14]
well if you already have a framework that allows you to drag-drop and play like flash then sure I can do it in 3 weeks. ;)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#15]
(no code yet, you'll start from scratch).

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#16]
oh thanks skully, I guess I didnt read thouroughly. Have any of yall seen the show dinner impossible? this would be the program impossible equivalent.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#17]
OT, sorry, but thought I should answer this (as best as I can anyway). Perhaps you're already aware of this, but by way of explaining my comment...

What is preferred to 'reading/writing files manually'? Curious.

You would still do so where necessary, but for cross-platform purposes you have to be aware of endianness and act accordingly. This (simply put) is the way in which multi-byte values -- shorts, integers, and so on -- are interpreted, and is dependent mainly on the CPU.

When reading (for example) integer values from a file, the 4 bytes that make up a given integer may be read from first-to-last [bytes 1, 2, 3, 4], or last-to-first [bytes 4, 3, 2, 1], then combined in this order into an integer value. The order in which they are combined is usually dependent on the CPU and will cause the resulting integer value to vary between CPU types. (Intel x86 processors use "little-endian" interpretation of the bytes and PowerPC processors generally use "big-endian".)

For BlitzMax, this difference will generally only show up on PowerPC Macs when running such code (ie. reading/writing shorts, integers, etc from/to files and streams) which has been developed on x86 platforms, ie. Windows, Linux and Intel OS X.

If you use the Endian Stream functions (see Streams section in the docs), you can make sure that integers, shorts, etc are read the same way across all platforms, according to what you need.

Forcing a stream to be interpreted as little-endian (x86-style) or big-endian (PPC style) means that the results of ReadInt, ReadShort, etc, will be the same across Windows, Linux and Intel/Mac PPCs, so it's worth doing if you're writing game save files, custom map files, etc. In general, I would just force such files (when calling ReadFile or WriteFile) to little-endian, based on the fact that x86 is the most popular platform. This takes away the problem entirely.

Also, some file formats are specified one way or the other, so it can simplify things greatly for cross-platform code if you force a stream to be interpreted according to the format's specifications for endianness. This can be seen in action here in my image file information reader.

Each GetFormatInfo function in the above example forces little-endian reading on a stream, eg. Local gif:TStream = LittleEndianStream (ReadFile (f)), except for GetJPEGInfo (), which forces big-endian as that is how the file format is specified. Most formats were failing on my PowerPC Mac to begin with, before adding LittleEndianStream, since the Mac was defaulting to reading what are supposed to be little-endian (x86) values as big-endian (PPC). Because I'd already forced JPEG files as BigEndianStream (as per the specs) to work on x86 Windows, it could be left unchanged on the Mac.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#18]
I can do this. Send me an email (in my profile).

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#19]
I hope you get the graphics quickly and not delivered after 3 weeks lol

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#20]
Fixed payment for finished project.

Advise to both "employer" and "employee" (or buyer and seller):

Agree exactly what the above quote means and includes beforehand.

I've seen/been in many projects before where the developer-team and the customer had completely different views of what was to be delivered. Example:

Cust: "What, Isn't there a window where you can see the status of the messages?"
Devteam: "Umm, there wasn't any window for it in the specification ... there is a log-file you can watch over here ..."
Cust: "Eh, normal people need to see the status. That's implied with having a status on each message, as it says in the specification."

or

Cust: "But how can I see what happened on computer 2 when I'm here at computer 1?"
Devteam: "But the specification didn't mention any networking or common DB capabilities?"
Cust: "Look, when I ask for a window where you can write reports, it's implied that you can have several people writing and editing reports commonly between different computers!"

See, what I'm trying to tell you?

If you both want to be happy after the deal, write an document that explains a few "stories" or use-cases of how the system will work, at least in the normal case. Don't rely on anything being implied.

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#21]
I've tried to contact Kemi but no reply from him for the moment.
I hope it is a serious project.

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#22]
Strange for a project to finish in 3 weeks , I have had no reply yet.

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#23]
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to make a game in 3 weeks Granted - it won't be a megagame, but it's doable. It all depends on what is needed.

Take a look at 3 of my games: Zektor, Space Fury & Dingo.
They were all done for a competition in 3 months - each game in about 4 weeks (the two first took a little longer, the third one a little under).

I have a fulltime job...and friends, and I still found time to do the games, within the deadline, in my sparetime.

I'm sure I could've done them in 3 weeks if that was my deadline...but I'm glad I didn't have to. :-D

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#24]
He's saying he can, but with a deadline of 3 weeks and still no reply it makes you wonder about the validity of the offer in the first place.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#25]
Sokurah, yes it's possible to code a remake but try doing that with an original game, it would take at least twice as long.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#26]

Yep :-p

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#27]
Did some try to contact Kemi ?
I believe he isn't so hurry for his game project because it seems he doesn't read this post and not reply to email...
Maybe it is a joke ?

Making a game from scratch in 3 weeks seems to be difficult to do else it will be a very very small project...

okee(Posted 2009) [#28]
Maybe some BMax programmer mailed him on the day he posted
and got the job instead of sitting on here picking apart his job

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#29]
He still could have posted "Position Filled" as a courtesy.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#30]
It's really mysterious. Kemi hasn't posted in 3 years and all of a sudden he wants to hire a programmer for a dodgy project.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#31]
I have a similar position available (deliver game every 3 weeks), although in NZ the programmer pays the designer so you will need to bring cash to the table also to be considered for the role.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#32]
LOL

Well, I'm in Canada and here the designer gives the programmer a cr*p load of money as a down-payment and the programmer refunds what he feels is fair ;)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#33]
Its Rui Barbosa and that Bero lark all over again!

markcw(Posted 2009) [#34]
Oh yeah I remember that guy, here's the thread.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26622

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#35]
Nice memory GfK! lol

GfK(Posted 2009) [#36]
Oh yeah I remember that guy, here's the thread.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=26622
Yeah, that's him. Although it didn't get entertaining until he started having eppies of richter scale proportions when everybody complained he'd practically disappeared and stopped replying to emails.

What a guy!

Nice memory GfK! lol
Jesus, didn't realise it was six years ago? :/

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#37]
Good god, I remember that too... Wheres the time gone! Oo

Dabz

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#38]
I skimmed through but can't be bothered reading it all. What's the summary? Did anybody sell a game and make money? How do you know it's the same person?

MGE(Posted 2009) [#39]
Working full time, I could code the game in 3 weeks if the guy has a good (finished) project sheet in place. But...the kicker is the price. I would charge alot more than he could afford that's for sure. ALOT more considering he wants source as well.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#40]
What's the summary?
He got loads of people showing an interest (some even wrote games), then he did a u-turn and said he wasn't using Blitz any more because he didn't like the community (everbody complained he wasn't replying to emails, or ever on MSN as he claimed, on answering his phone). Then everbody pointed out he shouldn't be conducting business activities like that on a public forum, and that's when he did the Jekyll & Hyde bit and started throwing a childish wobbler.

Did anybody sell a game and make money?
Is the pope Welsh?

How do you know it's the same person?
Its not. I meant its the same scenario.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#41]
Anyone interested, this thread is priceless http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=29193

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#42]
Yep, a genuine classic that one Czar! :)

Dabz

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#43]
wow haha there have always been some people to spice up the forums, I wish I had been here to see that haha..

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#44]
_Skully: The companny will reimburse you for the $100,00 that you have payied to your modeller.
e-mail me privately the directions on how you want to receive that money.
Also, please bear in mind that I was on vacation --- I completely understand that you must be upset, but I will work on it, ok?

Never did get my $100 back or the media (which was the board layout they wanted)... At least vertigo (the guy doing my GFX at the time) got his doe

Sanctus(Posted 2009) [#45]
I always work on websites such as www.getafreelancer.com
That way I know I can use the escrow system and I never get cheated.
Just as a basic ideea, if I were to start a game development team to work over the internet how many of you could start working? A lot of people here might be valuable and BlitzMax is a fairly good language at least for casul games.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#46]
if I were to start a game development team to work over the internet how many of you could start working?

Thats such a loaded question LOL

There are lots willing to work for $, but an agreement needs to be established...

As for a cooperative/shared approach there needs to be a show of contributable talent before anyone will take that seriously. For example, I would be very willing to get involved in a team effort... I can code np, so its those with artistic / audio skills I would be looking for. Probably someone to build levels as well depending on the project... but I have time constraints as well... so the complexities start to develop right away.

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#47]
Indeed, Kemi can't give a lot of money for his project.
So i think no serious developer can make it with this short timeline and given the source code for low price.