bad looking

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/bad looking

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#1]
hi, i'm working on a World Creator in Blitz3d and trying to give a loader to blitz Max. When i run the bmax code, same machine, same world i get two differents results for the .bb and the .bmx :

(using .bmp or .jpg images). The codes are very similar due to MiniB3D uses the same comands an sintax.

ideas?

thank's

Juan

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
MiniB3D uses OpenGL only doesn't it, whereas Blitz3D is DirectX only?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#3]
I cant see any difference between the 2 shots

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
Me either, but I figured it was because I am pushing 64.

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#5]
The only difference I see is the window frame.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#6]
still i saw a big difference between the 2 shots. the sky part particullary seems to be pixelated on bmax or with say few colors, don't know how to put in english, sorry.
ans thank's for your answers

Juan

degac(Posted 2009) [#7]
The difference in the texture resolution. I dont' use minib3d but you should look in this direction I presume...

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#8]
Keep in mind that B3D is DX7 and miniB3D is OpenGL... there are bound to be slight differences between the two.

Vorderman(Posted 2009) [#9]
The skybox texture looks very pixellated on the BMax window, nice and smooth on the other one.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#10]
that's the difference i'm talking about!
i scale the skybox first and then paint the surface both in blitz3d and in bmax, that order hasn't any problem in blitz3d, should it be the source of the problem in bMax?

thank's people for your interest

Juan

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#11]
I'm pretty sure that problem comes from filtering.

Either this is done differently in OpenGL than DirectX 7, or the textures are loaded with different flags.

On top of that, you could have particular settings for DirectX and OpenGL set in your video card's control panel.

One other thing that might cause the problem is the texture format. Are you using .DDS in B3D? That causes artifacts, even though it's highly compressed into video memory.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#12]
at this time is simply a skybox made with 6 surfaces based on 2 triangles ecah, done by code on the fly and painted with paint mesh. I used .bmp and .jpg with same results and in my machine the efect is still on bmax under ubuntu. I'll try to test on other machines later, but i think that sould be the config of the 3d card, mine is a Toshiba L305 with an Intel 4100 i think (movile intel 4 series)

thank's for your opinions
will have to work on some more

Juan

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#13]
was my fault!

(is my pc, ho has change the default opengl config other than me?)

i check the OpenGL config and reset it to the default settings and voila!
(now work in bubuntu too!), but in ubuntu i detect some strange lighting efects, i try to debug them to see if is more than one light or a kind of light (it seems like no range are aplied..)

thanks for your help

Juan