ResizePixmap too chunky, FreeImage crashing...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/ResizePixmap too chunky, FreeImage crashing...

ima747(Posted 2009) [#1]
I need to resize a fair number of large to VERY large images to more reasonable sizes.

ResizePixmap creates a chunky low quality version as one would expect.

I installed Brucy's FreeImage module which works beautifully except it's crashing with the message "List index out of range" I'm sure because some of the images are way too big (example image size for the bad ones 6600x5500, 36+ million pixels is gonna be a pain to scale...)

Is there another module or other method I can try using. The main issue it preserving transparency in the scale, otherwise I would just draw them scaled and then grab from the back buffer...

Quality is not a huge concern, I just need something smoother than what ResizePixmap provides but that preserves the alpha channel.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Do you need to do it inside a blitz application, or could you just use a graphics app?

ima747(Posted 2009) [#3]
In blitz since the content can be user altered. FreeImage would be perfect but it dies.

skidracer(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm sure because some of the images are way too big (example image size for the bad ones 6600x5500, 36+ million pixels is gonna be a pain to scale...)

Most users I hope would simply report this as a bug for the benefit of others that may follow.

The fact MaxIDE doesn't simply take you to the line in question so you can quote that is also a problem perhaps.

Volker(Posted 2009) [#5]
Bruceys Magick module?
I do not find scale or resize atm, but there is
"minify: Reduces image by integral size. " and "zoom"
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=87257

ima747(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks volker, I may look into that for some other reasons.

After much much digging it turns out I was causing the crash not brucy's module (not surprising to me since I've never had any of brucy's mod's be anything but flawless...) So I'm back on track now. Thanks for the responses.