DX9 module

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/DX9 module

GfK(Posted 2009) [#1]
http://code.google.com/p/max2ddx9/downloads/list

Is anybody using this? It it complete/safe?

I'm asking because I wouldn't mind using it, except in the last thread about it from months ago there were a number of issues raised but there's no mention of version numbers anywhere, so I don't know if those problems were ever fixed.

Also the SVN repository appears to be empty as I was going to download the version from there.

Another question - is it possible to stop it from dumping debug info? That stuff's handy but I don't really want it all the time.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
it seems safe, you could comment out the debuglog statements
it adds about 5FPS to my game compared to d3d7

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
...didn't Muttley have a DX9 module? Is that complete and stable?

[edit] Never mind - it seems to be the same one as part of a 'framework'.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#4]
I've been using the DX9 driver for a game I'm writing and sometimes I get unhandled exceptions but haven't spent the time needed to investigate them as the program is in a very pre-alpha status (when using OpenGL or DX7 those exceptions doesn't throw). I just mention this becouse I would not use the DX9 driver of BlitzMax for any comercial application without making first a very deep beta testing solving any possible anoyance or small bug. Other than that, the driver seems to work very good and it is fast.

GW(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ive been using it for a while as well. I get an extra 5-10% performance over dx7. There is a also a nasty crash on my computers when using primitive drawing operations (rect,oval) that other people can't seem to duplicate. I replaced those ops with sprites and haven't had any trouble since. I'm calling it good.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have it in my game as a throw back in case dx7,ogl doesn't work but I would never use it as a primary driver, especially in a first run scenario.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#7]
I always wondered if DX9 was faster and more interesting to use than OpenGL? Because you lose the ability to cross platform your game, which is the main feature of BlitzMax no ?
Sorry if it's a bit out of the subject.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ah well, that's evidence enough for me. Guess I'll have to wait til the DX7 bug is fixed.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
I always wondered if DX9 was faster and more interesting to use than OpenGL? Because you lose the ability to cross platform your game, which is the main feature of BlitzMax no ?

DirectX and OpenGL are two competing similar-but-different 3D acceleration technologies. Most 3D cards support both, but performance may vary.

for years, DirectX has been the #1 choice under Windows, since Microsoft was pushing it big and you could pretty much expect it to work on all PC's (unlike OpenGL, since many of the older 3D cards didn't support hardware acceleration for OpenGL)
Since more games used DirectX than OpenGL, it in turn reinforced that cards were created with the focus on directX performance first, and OpenGL second.

More recently the system performance seems to have equalized a bit, but performance will vary depending on your computer, video card, and video drivers. On some PC's OpenGL will be faster, on others DirectX will be faster.

You pretty much have to use OpenGL if you want to write cross-platform games, since DirectX only exists under Microsoft Windows.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#10]
Because you lose the ability to cross platform your game, which is the main feature of BlitzMax no ?

Well no, you don't lose cross platform just by using the DX9 driver. It's entirely possible to use DX9 on Windows and OpenGL on other platforms without writing any platform specific code. Big name games engines like Unity and Ogre (can) do the same thing.

GW(Posted 2009) [#11]
I should mention that on all of my computers (6 of then all types of vid hardware) opengl is always about 30% faster.
imo, The dx9 module is very stable for my uses.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#12]
No problems for me with the DX9 driver at all. Tested on at least 8 computers, all ran fine.

But on my game I do check for OS and DX keys in the registry (if on Windows, of course) and if DX9 isn't installed, or if videomode <= 1024x768 and OS <=Win98, then I set DX7 as the default driver.

On Vista (maybe win7 too?), I would try as much as possible to stay away from DX7; it's poorly supported by current drivers and I can only see it getting worse in the future :(