Audio channels

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Audio channels

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does anybody know how many audio channels do the different BlitzMax audio drivers support? I haven't found any documentation about this!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
I think its hardware dependent?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#3]
No, it's software dependant. When using OpenAL,some audio channels can be passed to the hardware (if the hardware supports it) but this is only when using OpenAL, and the rest of the channels will go software (AFAIK).
Does anybody knows it? I'm writting the audio part of my game in a way it never uses more than a given number of channels, to prevent channels being replaced...

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#4]
As workaround: Can't you create a test program that creates more channels until it crashes or you get an error message?

In the end everything depends on the hardware.
I wouldn't use more than 32 channels for maximum compatibility.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#5]
@Grisu: Thanks, that's what I've done, but I would like to know if there's any real information about this. I mean, I can use 32 channels on my computer wich is a dual 2 core 2.8 with 4 gBytes of ram... I have no idea what will happen on other people's computer... ?

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#6]
I only use fmod, so I don't have these issues.

I have googled around and found this in a forum:

#If you select DirectSound3D for the device:
* If DirectSound3D supports more than 31 sources, OpenAL assumes it's lying and clamps it to 31.
* If DirectSound3D supports less than or equal to 15 sources, OpenAL falls back on software mode, but allows you to use 16 devices.
# If you select DirectSound, you automatically get 32 sources.
# If you select WaveOut, you automatically get 32 sources.

Mark should know more about this.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks! That's more or less what I was looking for. It seems that using 15 channels is going to be a non issue even on old hardware if this information is correct, so... I'll take this as a minimum.