Debugstop from IDE?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Debugstop from IDE?

Drackbolt(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just out of curiosity (haven't seen this discussed before), if I remember correctly Blitz3d once allowed you to start a debugstop from the IDE at any time. I found that very useful since I could step into the program even when I fell into something crazy like an infinite loop.
I've never seen a reasonable way to do this with BlitzMax. Plenty of ways to catch debug info but also requiring a lot of extra code lying around or polling I/O inside every loop to detect a debugstop call. Can anyone explain that change? Anyone know of a way to recreate this functionality?

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#2]
To my knowledge, the official appstub (that handles debugging for your blitz executable) doesn't allow for this but I remember Brucey was working on a network appstub that was capable of 'DebugStop on the fly'. So I guess, Brucey's the man you're after. :-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#3]
Yes, I had a rummage around in appstub once before and thought that I "almost" got it working, before my knowledge of C and interaction with C failed me.

While the IDE can send info to the running debug app, the bit of the appstub that talks to the debugger only runs once in debug mode. So you can try to tell it to stop, but it won't listen.

It must be possible, and I always thought it to be a rather obvious and seemingly solvable gap. Of course, once you get an appstub running that is listening all the time, it could also be asked to report changes to variables on the fly too...

Drackbolt(Posted 2009) [#4]
Glad to hear other people have thought about this. I never questioned it too much before because BlitzMax was such a huge step from Blitz3d, but recently I've seen a few crashes that made me miss that ability.
Heck, and if somehow we could change var values in a debugstop? Talk about a perfect programming environment... But I'd settle for the "anytime" debugstop.