Game crash under Vista

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Game crash under Vista

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi

Today I was able to run my game for the first time on a fresh new Windows Vista (UAC off).

The first problem was because of the resolution screen (I'm using Opengl).
Windows didn't detect anything about this I just discovered that fullscreen mode wasn't available for that resolution.

Then my game launch normally.
The main level load correctly and everything work as intended.

But right in the middle of a new loading level the application freeze, no exception written in my LOG file, no "crash capture".
Then windows finally detect a problem and try to "provide a solution" (and fail of course).

I'm not able right now to give you more informations.
Simply that I'm using LibXML, Max2d OpenGL, CEGUI, Box2D, Locale, regex and that I run a release version of my game.
Strange enough the game is working perfectly over Windows 98, Windows XP/2000, Linux (Ubuntu) and even MacOSX/PPC !
Tomorrow I will try to setup a BlitzMax environment to debug from the inside.

So my question is : Does anybody know if there is specific rules to run BlitzMax game inside Vista 32bits ?
Every drivers are up to date so I don't think it's a laptop problem.

Thanks !

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#2]
Every drivers are up to date so I don't think it's a laptop problem.
It's possible your laptop has a really bad graphics card, particularly if it's low-end, updated drivers or not, unfortunately. So it might help to prove the specs of the laptop as well. Can you try running it in DirectX mode? Low-end Windows graphics cards tend to have better support for DX than OGL..

Pineapple(Posted 2009) [#3]
I have vista 64 bit, and I haven't had anything happen different from on XP. Have never ran it on another OS.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hi Czar
Good point but it's a new Nvidia Geforce 8200M G with latest drivers so it can't be that I think (well I hope so :).

@B+man
Simple question : Is your application fully work under XP ?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#5]
Not that I'm aware of my simple games run fine on 64bit and 32bit and I believe BlitzMAX exe's are only 32bit applications!

I think there is the issue of 64bit Vista running 32bit apps in a different way, e.g. Some kind of virtual space/mode for 32 bit apps!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#6]
What the ??

Today I build my BlitzMax game under Vista in Debug mode to catch the bird and "magically" no crash !

... ?
This build even run correctly under XP so I suppose BlitzMax is telling me that I must update to Vista (or more seriously to Windows 7).

I must admit that I have no clue to solve this mystery. Maybe a new Mingw or FASM ? I used the BlitzMax companion for vista.
Well if my case can help somebody...

grrr I don't like Vista.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#7]
Occasionally it seems like a debug version will work while a release version will not.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#8]
I already step inside this particular case.
But here strangely debug and release work normally.

So false positive I guess.