New BLIde Plus version available

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde Plus version available

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
For newcomers, BLIde in an integrated development environment for BlitzMax, for the Windows platform. for more information see here: http://www.blide.org

This is the changelog:
- Added compiler path information in the BLIde about box

- BLIde is a bit smaller, so it launches faster at the JIT

- New About window includes information about components, license, and the BlitzMax changelog

- When the save button or menu item is clicked from a TMP file, it opens the save as dialog (as any other IDE in the world :D)

- Improved SDK inline documentation. Specially usefull when used in conjunction with Microsoft Visual Studio, or any other xml capable IDE.

- Fixed an issue when making drag&drop on a managed solution, when there are lots of files dragged, BLIde won't open them all, just add them to the project tree, and let them ready to be opened by the BLIde user

- New: BLIde editor window can be vertiaclly splitted (in addition to the horizontal splitter)

- Some internal SDK commands now include inline documentation (not all of them yet!)

- Automatic completion list (Ctrl+Enter) now shows also local variables when possible.

- Automatic completion list (Ctrl+Enter) now shows also scope based self info.

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#2]

- Automatic completion list (Ctrl+Enter) now shows also local variables when possible.

- Automatic completion list (Ctrl+Enter) now shows also scope based self info.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

This is absolutely awesome!

Can't you add a paypal donate button to the BLide site or something, for us old lifetime customers that want to show our appreciation? :-)

Thanks again if I didn't mention it before! :-)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#3]
@Mahan: I'm not sure if the scope matching algorithm will work in all possible scopes (it should, be the code is very new, you know what I mean), so if you find any situation when the list is not displaying all items, let me know it! Forgot to mention that it also includes parameters inside method and functions declarations.

I have no donate button, some users that are very grateful jsut purchase additional updates time, even when they have a fulltime license, it's up to you, but anyway, thanks a lot for the possitive feedback!

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#4]
Pure binary gold!

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ziggy, can you make BLIde fix case for local variables?

In other words, if I have:

Local myX:Int

and I type:

myx=5

Can you make the capitalization fix itself after I press enter or leave the line? It does this for functions and stuff, but not for variables.

Of course, if this happens to be in this update which I haven't installed yet, then just ignore me. :)

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
So I'm guessing there will be no more free versions?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#7]
@Plash: Free version will get at last an update per year, or when an important stability bug has to be fixed, or when there's something to change in order to maintain compatibility with the current official plus version.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#8]
Excellent, work!

Wow is it Blide or 1.34 or is the build time blisteringly fast now!?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#9]
@Arowx: BLIde adds thread priority upper than normal to the underlaing BMK process, so it may be faster now. :D

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#10]
..this is very nice..Im going to buy this..but before i do, on how many computers i can have installed it (its just and only for me) ? I have multiple machines im using, with different configs.., but as i said, no share with anyone , its all used by me..

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Naughty Alien:
I have used BLide on 3 of my computers (with different windows versions and hardware) to do performance tests and debugging. I never had a problem technically with doing so.

When you buy BLide single license the text reads "This license is limited to 1 developer." and I have interpreted this as the important part is that you got 1 license for each developer using BLide, not how many installations you've used.

@Ziggy:
You have the final word here of course. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Corum(Posted 2009) [#12]
A very good piece of software but...
... there is no Mac OS love, in this sad world. :-)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#13]
BLIde Plus license allows you to install BLIde:

a.- In one single computer used by several developers (only one developer at the same time)

b.- In several computers used by a single developer. As instance you could install it on your desktop PC and in a Laptop without any problems.

plash(Posted 2009) [#14]
There is also no Linux love in this sad world :( (*points to ATI*).

N(Posted 2009) [#15]
*Points to the TextMate bundle in his signature*

Problem solved, no need for a cumbersome IDE.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#16]
[ironic]
Yes, I love the TextMate bundle intelliprompt, not to talk of its code analyzer, and managed project system. Also, it's great how it integrates a separate module builder, it's integration of dll compilation, it's automatic OS styles activation (without maxgui), it's media files preview, its great integrated debug with stack trace follow, and the incredible customer suport...
[/ironic]
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the TextMate bundle is a very good option for the Mac, but missing some of the features I -personally- would expect on an IDE.

But as I always say, an IDE choice is a very very personal thing. some preffer to code in a sort of notepad and call the compiler from the console... Anyway, I wouldn't considere BLIde a cumbersome IDE, I'm sure people happily using it and paying for it agree... If I just manage to add refactoring to it... (there are still things to add to BLIde!)

N(Posted 2009) [#17]
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the TextMate bundle is a very good option for the Mac, but missing some of the features I -personally- would expect on an IDE.
TextMate isn't an IDE, it's an editor. It has its fair share of issues, but those in your ironic block are not in that list...

Anyway, I wouldn't considere BLIde a cumbersome IDE
I would. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure you put a ton of work into BLIde, but I still think it's an awful IDE. I bought and used Protean and that was a fantastic IDE, and while BLIde resembles Protean visually, it is in no way near as easy or pleasant to use. Using BLIde is like scrubbing one's teeth with a toilet brush wrapped in sandpaper, and it's an altogether unpleasant experience. Maybe you think having a padded features list makes your IDE good, but when most of those features are either repeating themselves, questionable (as something that belongs on a features list), or just not important (how useful is J# highlighting in a BlitzMax IDE?), I don't think you have a strong product.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#18]
Nilium,

If you have a personal preference for an IDE thats fine, but I personally find Blide to be very good... to say its awful is just downright wrong.

I found protean to be cumbersome personally, and never ended up using it. Each to their own I suppose

N(Posted 2009) [#19]
I found protean to be cumbersome personally, and never ended up using it. Each to their own I suppose
You are a sinner and Santa hates you.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#20]
@Nilum: Thanks.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#21]
Nilium, when did you try BLide the last time? I found it very cumbersome a couple of years ago (?) and quickly uninstalled it. I tried it again some months ago and I found it a lot smoother. It's a good IDE, definately worth buying if you are developing BlitzMax apps on Windows.

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#22]
@Mr Errors Writer Man

I would think (and I'm only guessing here) that the reason Nilium made a TextMate bundle is that he usually uses a Mac when coding :-)

BLide might be possible in parallells but every Windows-app that runs in VM or emulator still lacks the true Mac look and feel when you use a Mac, imho.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#23]
I'm a glorified text editor person myself but maybe I should try out Blide. It sounds good, maybe it will do my coding for me. :D

N(Posted 2009) [#24]
Errors Writer: Tried it last something like two to three months ago. I've installed it (and uninstalled it each time) at various times before that ever since it had a free version, and I can safely say that at no time have I ever looked at it and thought "I want to use this daily." At best, I end up disliking it just a little more because the workflow in BLIde is 100% backwards.

Pending any complete redesigns or retooling of BLIde, I doubt matters will improve.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#25]
@Nilium: Thanks again! You're being very helpful!

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#26]
You are a sinner and Santa hates you.

Probably... I made Santa's Slay after all 8)

Well, as far as I know I've tried each IDE available for BlitzMax development and I settled on Blide and use it every day. Its quick, smooth, and feature rich. Is it perfect... probably not, but then again I've never thought any were perfect. But the fact that ziggy is responsive to questions and feature requests and bug reports makes the product that much better. Its constantly improving as well.

Nilium, I don't know why you have a sudden hate on... if you don't like it... don't use it.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#27]
By the way, a new BLIde FREE edition BETA version is available for anyone wishing to help the BLIde development bug hunting. This is the BETA of what will be the next BLIde Free edition.

Get it here

plash(Posted 2009) [#28]
NOTE: The new beta freaked me out by turning on virtual whitespace, draw line numbers, no longer opening my files again, switched to BLIde's welcome page, things of the such (the old config was not properly ported over).

EDIT: Also the code analyzer was turned back on.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#29]
NOTE: The new beta freaked me out by turning on virtual whitespace, draw line numbers, no longer opening my files again, switched to BLIde's welcome page, things of the such (the old config was not properly ported over).
Its free. Stop complaining!

plash(Posted 2009) [#30]
Its free. Stop complaining!
I know it's free. It's also not really an issue, unless it is not fixed for the non-free version, where the paying peoples will have issues with it as well (probably).

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#31]
Issue does not exist in the pay version.

I think your problem stems for how far apart in the development cycle the free versions are. If I upgraded from a really old pay version to the latest, I would probably see some problems loading the config file (just a guess).

Buy it you cheap Ba$#%@... ;)

plash(Posted 2009) [#32]
Buy it you cheap Ba$#%@... ;)
Doesn't work on Linux.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#33]
Plash: Thanks for "complaining", in fact, that's what I'm expecting, feedback to fix any issued before going non-beta. Plash, could you tell me if, after a restart, your settings are keptor they're lost again? Also, do you have a BLIde Framework folder in your Documents folder? It seems all the preferences were reseted to a default. Can you tell me if there's any Properties.blif file inside the Setting folder of your BLIde Framework folder?
That would be much appreciated!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#34]
Hey Ziggy I just installed the latest BlitzMax and BLIde 00.09.92A. BLIde couldn't find the BlitzMax installation directory, so it asked me to rerun the configuration wizard. Which was not something I wanted to do, so I said no. Then it said it couldn't find the BlitzMax directory with only giving me the option 'ok'. Clicking ok reinitialized the same dialog. I ended up running the configuration wizard again which seemed the only way for me to set the BlitzMax directory.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#35]
@Htbaa: I think this sceneraio (BLitzmax changed location) needs a better approach (to avoid a re-run of the configuration wizard). I'll change this for the next update.

plash(Posted 2009) [#36]
Plash, could you tell me if, after a restart, your settings are keptor they're lost again?
Settings were not lost after a restart.
Can you tell me if there's any Properties.blif file inside the Setting folder of your BLIde Framework folder?
Yes there is.

It seems all the preferences were reseted to a default.
Not all were. The code coloring scheme was left as it was (a custom scheme, in fact), 'tab guides' and 'symbols' were left alone, 'Use complete BlitzMax modules highlighting' was also left alone. There are probably others, but it did reset quite a bit.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#37]
The code coloring scheme was left as it was --> This is handled by another file... mmm, that's weird... I'll install 0.9.77 and then the beta to replicate and fix it in the BETA.

Please, any BETA issue, coment it here: http://www.blide.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 or in my email (mail in profile).

Sokurah(Posted 2009) [#38]
Well, I want to have my say too. :)

I had to try a few GUI's for BM before I found one I liked, and that was BLIde. I remember thinking "HOLY SHIT" when I saw the interface for the first time (I like simplicity and this just shouts "TOO MUCH!") but for some reason it just clicked with me. Sure, I don't use half the functions but it's really nice the way it is.

Currently I'm using v00.09.77a, which has it's problems with it's "predictive dictionary" and will often not give me the choices I need when writing a line - usually with types were it won't show the fields that goes with the type. Damn annoying - it wasn't there in the previous version I used, but I can live with it (well, I can upgrade and see if it's gotten better now) but I love the interface. Well done Ziggy.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#39]
@Sokura:Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#40]
I just restarted BLIde after a power outage. My PC had reconnected to the router (wireless) but the router had not re-established its connection to the DSL carrier, so, no internet.

I got a massive notification box at startup, containing this:
New BLIde version <html>
<head>
<title>OpenDNS</title>
</head>

<body id="mainbody" onLoad="testforbanner();" style="margin: 0px;">
<script language="JavaScript">
function testforbanner() {
var width;
var height;
var x = 0;
var isbanner = false;
var bannersizes = new Array(16)
bannersizes[0] = '300x250';
bannersizes[1] = '250x250';
bannersizes[2] = '240x400';
bannersizes[3] = '336x280';
bannersizes[4] = '180x150';
bannersizes[5] = '468x60';
bannersizes[6] = '234x60';
bannersizes[7] = '88x31';
bannersizes[8] = '120x90';
bannersizes[9] = '120x60';
bannersizes[10] = '120x240';
bannersizes[11] = '125x125';
bannersizes[12] = '728x90';
bannersizes[13] = '160x600';
bannersizes[14] = '120x600';
bannersizes[16] = '300x600';
bannersizes[17] = '300x125';
bannersizes[18] = '530x300';
bannersizes[19] = '190x200';
bannersizes[20] = '470x250';
if(typeof(window.innerHeight) == 'number') {
height = window.innerHeight;
width = window.innerWidth;
} else if(typeof(document.body.offsetHeight) == 'number') {
height = document.body.offsetHeight;
width = document.body.offsetWidth;
};
for (x=0; x<bannersizes.length; x++) {
if(bannersizes[x] == width + 'x' + height) {
isbanner = true;
};
};
if(isbanner || width < 100 || height < 100) {
window.location = '/b' + 'anner.php?w=' + width + '&h=' + height + '**possibly sensitive url edited out**';
} else {
var mainbody = document.getElementById('mainbody');
mainbody.style.margin = '0px';
mainbody.scroll = 'no';
mainbody.innerHTML = '<iframe frameborder="0" src="**possibly sensitive url edited out**" width="100%" height="100%"></iframe>';
};
};
</script>
<noscript>
<iframe frameborder="0" src="**possibly sensitive url edited out**" width="100%" height="100%"></iframe>
</noscript>
</body>
</html>
available.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#41]
This is a notification from the HTML view of the BLIde inernal browser. I think you may be looking at the BLIde forums there, or any other BLIde page and a script error was reported (a connection failure could cause this) I will disable this notifications on next BLIde update, it sohuld not be showing. Thanks for the info!

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#42]
@ziggy:
There is a small issue (far too small to be called a bug):

When using custom fonts in BLIde the "Line number margin" of the editor (you know the left area that shows line numbers) is not adjusted for the font/text width in a "font-agnostic" way.

I usually use the "BitStream Vera Mono"-font when programming because I find it easy to read, and when i use fontsize > 12 I only see part of the rightmost digit (of the linenumber)

As said it's just a minor detail, but if it's easy and fast to correct it would be nice.

That said I'm very very pleased with the extended automatic-list (intellisence) functionality. It is a real joy to use BLIde these days (even more than before).

As suggested by someone else before, BRL + ziggy should seriously consider a BlitzMax + BLIde bundle. BlitzMax by itself after fresh install has a "cool but basement-coder" feel to it with the default MaxIDE, but together with BLIde, BlitzMax feels like a professional product on par with NetBeans(with java) or Visual Studio. (just my personal opinion)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#43]
@Mahan: Thanks for the possitive feedback. I'll be looking for the line-number font sizing for the next update (I hope to have a fix before next update is released).

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#44]
New BLIde Plus version available 00.09.93-a
changelog:
Improved the context-based intelligent auto list functionality. It's much more precise now (ctrl + Space)

BLIde no longer uses the windows registry to store any setting. (Old registry entries will be automatically removed)

BLIde can now be linked with your online account, so you can see the remaining updates time of your account (in days)

Solved an issue that was making the unmanaged solution tree refresh after a canceled node text edit, causing the whole tree contents to refresh and flicker

Added the classical F2 and Enter functionality to solution explorer navigation

Fixed an issue that was making local variables to not provide a valid intelliprompt memberlist in some situations

Fixed an issue that was making BLIde integrated html browser to display messageboxes informing of script errors on pages being displayed

Fixed a small visual issue that was making a member list pop-up to disapear sometimes when pressing backspace inside a function or method call with parameters information

Fixed a bug that was making BLIde not display properly the UAC and file permission status on the about box

Fixed an issue that was making BLIde fail to relocate the BlitzMax compiler when BlitzMax setup location changes

Fixed a small coherency issue. Welcome page was sometimes called welcome window.

When the save button is pressen on a temporary file, BLIde will display a Save as dialog.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#45]
Is there a discount option yet for licence renewals? Apparently mine ran out a few days ago. :(

I'm not entirely happy with ShareIt trying to screw me for 19% sales tax when VAT in the UK is only 15%.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#46]
@Gfk: You can purchase additional updates time here: http://www.blide.org/?section=buynow (scroll to the bottom).
I also don't like paying a 19% of vat, as here in Spain it is the 16%, but you always pay the VAT of the country where you're buyng, and Share-it are from Germany. There's nothing I can do regarding this, I'm sorry.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#47]
Ah, didn't spot the renewal discount, thanks! Probly snap one of those up next week.

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#48]
Thanks for the solution navigator improvement!
Checking out now.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#49]
Latests update to version 00.09.94-a
Fixed several visualization artifacts on TreeView controls. (thanks to Gfk)

Fixed flickering on some BLIde components.

Fixed a bug that was making the BLIde text auto-format to treat wrong numbers expressed with scientiffic exponential notation.

Fixed a bug that was showing font assignment issues per-editor window, instead of showing them per-font, when the color schema was being customized.

Optimized drastically AST updating, so foldable regions are updated and detected a lot faster on a non priority thread.

Fixed: Trying to resize two split layouts that were already below minimum size could result in an exception.

Fixed: An exception could occur shortly after deserializing layout, after serializing a specific set of windows.

Fixed: It was possible to drag a floating window such that its resulting titlebar was inaccessible.

Fixed: An ellipsis would be shown on a document tab but the document was not closable, and the document had the focus, when some BLIde skins were selected.

Fixed: Maximums are now enforced when dragging a large docked window around in a narrow container so that windows do not become inaccessible.

This is a stability update, so it is recommended to update BLIde.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#50]
*hugs his debug window*

zambani(Posted 2009) [#51]
ziggy, you be the man!
The scientiffic exponential notation fix is a life saver for my next project. Good job.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#52]
Thanks a lot for this update.
I'm still a bit reluctant to use the parse and format document features because last time I did it for my whole project (near 6 months) some string between quotations were modified. Don't know if it's still the same now but I remember I had hard time to guess were the problem was.
Is auto-format related to that features I like much yet ?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#53]
One nice feature I really would like to see one day in Blide is an option to sort alphabetically every Functions, Methods and Fields (from the list Selector or directly reorganize from the file but I think the first option would be easier to switch on/off).

Also, when I choose a Methods or a Functions from that "object list selector" (on the top right) the focus stick inside.
It's annoying because just after that I often use my mouse-wheel to jump into the code but since the focus is still inside the list selection I wrongly jump from methods to methods (I don't remember having to click inside the edit window before today strangely...).

Hope you understand.
Thanks to read this request :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#54]
@Armitage 1982: I'll add a focus change on next BLIde update when the combo boxes are used to 'jump' to a speciffic function, method, etc. Additionally, I'm very interested to know wich was the issue you was getting with text formating on that 6 months ago version. I don't remember any bug report regarding this, so it would be great if you could provide more information in order for me to fix anything (if there's anything to fix there!)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#55]
Of course Ziggy :)

I will do some tests soon with a backup project to reproduce this bug (if bug there is obviously ;).

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#56]
Hi ziggy,

Have emailed you re: 00.09.94.A folding bug, where the end of a folding region has been corrupted.

[edit]
I have tracked the problem down to my first If statement in the problem region (see screenshot attached to my email):
If fList[ZOrder[k]].Visible Then
which causes the end of a folding region to be missed. Changing it to:
If fList[ZOrder[k]].Visible=True Then
resolves the issue - hope that helps...

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#57]
There's a small issue when parsing [ and ] inside a if sentence. This has been fixed for the next BLIde update. Thanks Chalky!

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#58]
Hello, I have a couple of wishlist features (sorry if they exist already) -

Could you add a shortcut to add/remove a DebugStop to a line? (And insert it in a new line above if necessary) It can be tiresome to type out Debugstop each time and comment them out!

Could it be possible to filter the debug window that lists variable info? In particular I'd like to filter out constants, because they appear at the top and just get in the way (I have a lot of constants in my current project). Chances are I know what the constants are anyway :P Ability to hide/remove certain variables I'm not interested in could be useful, as could setting up watches on certain variables I'd like highlighted.

Global variables that are part of a type, don't seem to show up in the debug window.

Thanks.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#59]
Could you add a shortcut to add/remove a DebugStop to a line? (And insert it in a new line above if necessary) It can be tiresome to type out Debugstop each time and comment them out!

That's Ctrl+D
Could it be possible to filter the debug window that lists variable info? In particular I'd like to filter out constants, because they appear at the top and just get in the way (I have a lot of constants in my current project). Chances are I know what the constants are anyway :P Ability to hide/remove certain variables I'm not interested in could be useful, as could setting up watches on certain variables I'd like highlighted.

That's something that 'could' be added in the future. Not an easy thing to do but I could take a look to it.

Global variables that are part of a type, don't seem to show up in the debug window.

That's becouse BlitzMax internal debuger does not provide information to debug globals inside types. Nothing I can do here I'm afraid!

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#60]
That's something that 'could' be added in the future. Not an easy thing to do but I could take a look to it.
Isn't it just as simple as filtering through the output from the debugger, before turning it into a tree? :D At least please get rid of the consts!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#61]
Czar Flavius: Yes, but the debuger info is not sincronic, the data manipulation of this involves threading and at the end, everytime I have to touch the debugger, I need to drink a pile of coffe and spend a whole day... :D I'm not saying not to do it, just I need to finish some issues first (I'm fixing a couple of issues on the bmx lexer and AST system and it's a bit complicated all in all).

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#62]
New update available for BLIde Plus (00-09-95-A)
Improved drastically BLIde compatibility with windows biger fonts configuration.

Re-organized the File and Tools menu, so it is much more standard (VS-Like)

Changed the BLIde Solution ICON to another one (looking better).

Fixed several issues with folding node calculation for complex IF sentences that involved object casting

Fixed several issues with folding nodes when arays inside arrays were involved

Fixed an issue with $ symbol on intelliprompt when BLIde was setup to not auto-correct spacing style.

Fixed a bug that was showing font assignment issues per-editor window, instead of showing them per-font, when the color schema was being customized

ESC key now disables the parameter hint info when coding (in case you want to take a look to code behind the quickinfo tip).

Fixed an issue that was making the code area selection combos to leave the focus outside the editor window

Fixed an issue on intelliprompt that was making BLIde lose member's list for locals when special unary operators where in use, in the same code-scope.

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#63]
Thanks ziggy - Blide just keeps getting better and better. Now if only that pesky "Do you want to close this solution before closing Blide?" prompt immediately after a save ( I always save prior to exiting Blide or loading another solution) could be got rid of (after seemingly have been reintroduced - I'm sure this was fixed in a previous release?) it would be nigh on perfect... :o)

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#64]
Sweet!

Thanks for the updates ziggy!

Any news on the "Find in files" improvements?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#65]
@_JIM: It'll come soon. I've been a bit bussy with solving some GDI issues (I hate that) and that's been a bit delayed, but I hope to get something improved soon!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#66]
Thanks for the fix on the selection combos focus ;)
Top IDE ever !

Kistjes(Posted 2009) [#67]
Thanks for the updates.

BLIde rules!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#68]
Hey Ziggy, since the latest update BLIde regularly crashes when the debugger catches access to a Null object. BLIde just freezes and I have to call in the task manager to kill it.

Edit: Another extremely annoying thing is that when I add a new blank file to my solution, and when the solution manager auto hides, I first to click on some other file tab before I can make the solution manager open when clicking on the sidebar button. Please please please fix this.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#69]
@Htbaa: Can you please provide a small code sample that replicates the debuging issue so I can fix it?
The more obvious test:
Local Myvar:TList
Myvar.AddFirst("Hello!")
seems to not replicate the issue!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#70]
A reason why it's happening might be that I'm using the TimelineFX module. I tried loading an effect that doesn't exist, whilst also having the editor open with the effects library loaded. Not sure if that has something to do with it, might be that the file is being locked and BLIde is waiting for it to be released?

Past week the same sort of thing happened. So it might be just that. Need to verify it though.

But please take a look at the other issue I'm having. It didn't happen in other releases. Haven't tested it in the previous release because didn't use that one.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#71]
I *think* I've got a fix for this other issue you're experiencing. I can send you a replacement build in order for you to confirm it's already fixed. Is it ok if I send you a new EXE? Can I use the email in your profile?
This bug is difficult to 'fix' or ensure as it may be caused by the history of docking and undocking and layout you may be using, but I managed to replicate it and solve it here.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#72]
Sure you can mail it to me.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#73]
Ziggy - remember the "grey box of doom" bug with the debug window? Its back!

Except this time its in the module tree view in Advanced Module Builder.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#74]
Gfk: F***k!!! I will provide a fix I know what's causing it...

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#75]
I really like BLIDE, I wish I could easily jump from region to region though. In the dropdown list I can jump from declared variables to images to types to functions, but why not regions?

PS I love BLIDE!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#76]
BLIde Plus update available:
BLIde version 00.09.96-a change log:
- Improved items description on the compiler options panel

- Some of the icons of the application have been redesigned to look a bit better

- Several stability improvements on the Code Analyzer

- Fixed an issue that could leave the BLIde docking schema in a unconsistant state

- Narrowed a drawing issue on combo boxes when working with some 64 bits configurations of Windows 7

- Improved the BLIde updater tool, and added a security layer to the autentication system

- Added a more detailed protocol error information when a BLIde update process fails

- Fixed an error that could block the auto-updating functionality of the code section combo boxes of an editor window, after a very concrete set of movements in the code.

- Improved the 'outline at definition level' routine

- Fixed a visualization issue on combo-boxes scrolling when the combos are inside a tabbed document, and the focus is set to a tree control just from a code window with long source code, and the source code is being reparsed while the focus is changing.

As always, to install the update, launch BLIde (if configuration is set to check for updates at start-up wich is default). Otherwise go to Help / Check for updates, or go to the customer's section of the BLIde website.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#77]
I can't seem to get to your site. There were problems yesterday, too.

I'm getting ping replies from the server but HTTP requests seem to be falling on deaf ears?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#78]
There's a problem with the server DNS then, as I can see and operate in the website, but just checked I can't get any reponse when I perform a Ping to the site, or to the name server of the site, or even to the ip of the nameserver of the site. I've done a request to the BLIde hosting service in order for them to fix it as soon as possible (not much more I can do). They usually fix those isues quickly, I'll post it here whenever it's running again.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#79]
Work fine for me now :)
I really like the visual improvements.
Good work Ziggy !

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#80]
Would it be possible to enlarge the combobox listing Functions, Methods and objects please ?
By the way thanks a lot for the docking panel fix no more problem with that anymore !

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#81]
@ziggy - thanks for the 9-96-A update!

Would it be possible to make the Publisher auto-detect the root program so that the message "Publish is only supported for root programs" is never displayed? It seems odd that Blide does this automatically but the Publisher does not despite being called from within Blide.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#82]
For anybody who was having problems (which might have been just me) - site's working again now.

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#83]
Thanks for update!
Could you explain how to use "Debugger" & "Preprocesser" Addon Style in add-ons manager? I think it might be useful, but it's not mentioned in Doc.
Another question, I found closing a project is slower than loading it, why is that?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#84]
Tommo: Closing a project may be slower becouse all the resources that are created when the project was loaded have to be free and, in this case, it has to be done at closing time in a single thread (as oposed to loading a project), additionally it involves releasing a lot of windows handles and GDI stuff wich is slow by design. I will make some optimizations on this area for the next release, but not sure if it will represent a very big change, and there are some os speciffic areas where optimization is not quite possible. I promiss to take a look and try to improve performace there.
Thanks for the feedback.
To the preprocessor stuff, if you're going the addon way, you may just create an exe preprocessor that gets the file to be pre-processed as a parameter and it'll be executed when requested from the addons menu.
Making a BLIde Plugin is quite more integrated and elegant. there's a bit of documentation about this on the BLIde website, but a lot more to come soon!

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#85]
Thanks for your information!
:)

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#86]
Sorry to bother again.
There use to be two symbol combos on the titlebar, it was a nice tool, but it seems gone in new version.
I understand this makes the editor looks more clean. In my opinion, it's more efficient than "Local shortcut" which is always so "crowded".

This is not a request, just a feedback. :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#87]
@Tommo: You mean two combos you can drop down to get the list of current types, functions, etc? They you should be there still for BMX files...

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#88]
That's strange...
It's how the title bar looks like on my machine.

Only "Build" combo list is there.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#89]
@Tommo: That's weird, can you provide OS version and if it's 32 or 64 bits?

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#90]
WinXP 32 sp2 Chinese Version

.NetFramework 3.5

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#91]
I'll send you an email in a while in order for you to tell me if it fixes the issue.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#92]
Are there any useful preprocessors around for Blitz? What do they add?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#93]
@Gfk: Any problem accesing the BLIde website has been solved by my side (tested and confirmed) if you're still unable to access the site, you can try to access this mirror site: http://blide.dreamhosters.com and if it is still inaccesible to you, you should better check your DNS server.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#94]
New BLIde Forum available on the BLIde website ( http://blide.org/forum )
Users of the old BLIde forum will have to make a password request, as everything has been ported to the new forum EXCEPT user's passowrd becouse of encriptation and security.
The reasons for this change are that the new forum is operated directly by me, and not hosted in any third party service so, additionally it is ad-free and has a bunch of nice features, such as allowing attachements to the posts, allow topic subscription so you can optionally get an email if somebody answers your post, etc.
Also, in the future, BLIde Free Edition will be available directly from the new BLIde forums.

In order to port your old BLIde community user to the new one, all you have to do is request a new password here: http://www.blide.org/forum/ucp.php?mode=sendpassword

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#95]
New BLIde Plus version 00.09.97-a available
changelog:
[*] BLIde Plus now can handle several BlitzMax setups in a single BLIde installation. You can even have a list of pre-configured Blitzmax setups, and switch from one to another very easilly. This new tool is available in the Tools menu of BLIde.

[*] Improved BLIde loading time and optimized BLIde executable size.

[*] Part of the text rendering engine loading has been parallelized (Dual core needed to notice really the change).

[*] Fixed an issue that could make it impossible to load a solution (BLIde would hung) when the solution had a very speciffic files structure.

[*] Added a workarraound to fix a GDI+ issue on Microsoft .net GDI+ implementation for the .net framework when it is executed on a 64 bits edition of Windows 7 (many many thanks to Muttley)

[*] Fixed an issue that could make the drop down combo boxes on an editor window to disapear under very rare circumstances.

[*] Fixed an issue that was making impossible to case correct a file directly from the managed solution explorer.

[*] Fixed a wrong GDI+ transformation matrix that is affecting only some control renderers under Windows 7 64 bits

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#96]
Yeah, the combo boxes are back now. :)
Multiple BlitzMax setup should be useful for BRL hackers.

Thank you very much for the fast fix!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#97]
Updating !
Nice to see a fix for the drop down combo boxes.
I got it 4 times yesterday ^^

Thanks

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#98]
Multiple BlitzMax setup should be useful for BRL hackers.
Or for people with a dev version of Max and the regular version, or people making their own appstub in a separated setup... :D It can be very sueful for advanced users, and it was requested a few times before! :D
Thanks for the feedback!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#99]
I catch this problem again :(
No drop down combo boxes.
No idea where it comes.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#100]
What were you dong? Any ideas? I haven't seen this problem here so I'm sure we're doing different things.

Can I send you a test build for you to tell me if it's gone?

EDIT: Fix sent to you by email. Please confirm it works ok also on your machine, so I can make an official update for this small issue.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#101]
The fix seems to work fine:)
Nothing to say except that I found that comboboxit too small.
Isn't there any option to add more visible entries ?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#102]
@Armitage 1982:Cool! May I ask wich is your computer architecture? (Processor and OS version) as it seems it was caused by a small sync issue between threads and I'm a bit curious... :D

therevills(Posted 2009) [#103]
Hi Ziggy,

Is your site (logon/update) working fine?

Ive just installed Windows 7 Retail and either Ive forgotten what email/password I used or somethings wrong at your end - could you please check?

Thanks!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#104]
Yes
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01Ghz with nForce4 Controllers
512x2 Dual Geil Ram
NVidia GeForce 7600 GS
Windows XP SP3

therevills(Posted 2009) [#105]
Yes?

Can you get the latest update Armitage?

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#106]
Mine is updating just fine.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#107]
The site is working ok here. Make a password request in order to be sure you're not using a wrong password, and then login to the customer's section to get latest update, and check your updates period has not expired (in case your license is not a lifetime license)

If you're having problems accessing the site, the url: http://blide.dreamhosters.com is a mirror site, just in case, but it should be working!
Also, be sure to have cookies enabled. If all this is not enough, please send me your account details, so I'll check there's not any issue in the website database (wich would be very strange, but you know...)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#108]
False alarm...

Ive got too many emails/passwords and managed to get it to work... :)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#109]
BTW Ziggy, do you remember the issue I had with the combos not displaying correctly in the RC1? I now dont get this :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#110]
@therevills: I know it :D , it's been fixed with the unvaluable help of Muttley. It was in fact a bug on Windows 7 64 bits, in the .net GDI+ implementation running under windows 7 64 bits. The graphics context for the combos being drawed was created by the OS with a sort of unrequested transformation matrix applied to it. So reseting the -came from nowhere- transformation matrix and graphics context to a default status, did solve it! I supose we can expect to get an update from Microsoft fixing this too, but meanwhile we have a workarraound on BLIde.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#111]
The Publish or "..." buttons in the solution properties are heavily rendered and sometimes popup over the opengl context, it's really nothing, but I know software that completely destroying the openGL context like WhiteSmoke, for example.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#112]
@Armitage 1982: That has to be a driver issue, as those buttons are drawn using only GDI+ architecture, so if the OpenGL context is being affected (Z-ordering) it means the OpenGL context is not properly isolated. It's usually an OS or Driver issue, and there's not much I can do here apart from changing the controls to plain not-animated ones, wich is something that could be easilly done but will make BLIde lose a bit of its 'identity'. May I ask what architecture are you running BLIde one? Os, Processor, Video cards, etc.? I'm curious.
Also, amb I right to assume the combo boxes issue is definitivelly fixed? I'll release a maintenace update very soon... (that also increases the dropdownlist items count when the combo boxes are expanded, as you suggested!)
:D

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#113]
Also, amb I right to assume the combo boxes issue is definitivelly fixed? I'll release a maintenace update very soon... (that also increases the dropdownlist items count when the combo boxes are expanded, as you suggested!)

Definatly !

That has to be a driver issue, as those buttons are drawn using only GDI+ architecture, so if the OpenGL context is being affected (Z-ordering) it means the OpenGL context is not properly isolated. It's usually an OS or Driver issue, and there's not much I can do here apart from changing the controls to plain not-animated ones, wich is something that could be easilly done but will make BLIde lose a bit of its 'identity'. May I ask what architecture are you running BLIde one? Os, Processor, Video cards, etc.? I'm curious.

About the OpenGL context isolation, I have no idea.
You are probably right.

I'm nearly sure my Os or Driver isn't responsible, need to test this glitch on my laptop.

I must admit it is not that uncommon to see rendering glitch because of the desktop or program presence in the background.
Wondering what I can do for this.

I'm Cls() each frame use Flip without any parameters and use the GLMax2DDriver() driver with 60hz.
This happens in window as well as fullscreen mode.

Forgot to "lock/unlock" something while playingwith openGl low level maybe ?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.01Ghz with nForce4 Controllers
512x2 Dual Geil Ram
NVidia GeForce 7600 GS
Windows XP SP3

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#114]
I'm nearly sure my Os or Driver isn't responsible, need to test this glitch on my laptop.

I must admit it is not that uncommon to see rendering glitch because of the desktop or program presence in the background.
Wondering what I can do for this.Not really, it means the GDI+ Flip (wich is done by Microsoft

Not really, The components rendering using GDI+ is performed by the OS, so if it is displaying (with wrong Z-order) the control, there's not much I can do (Except from disabling the rendering when BLIde is not the active Application).

Ok, I'll test this too with Windows XP SP3, as I've been trying to replicate it here under Vista with aereo On without success. Anything I need to do specifically to see this glitching?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#115]
Ok... new update... This time, this is the fastest BLIde version ever. As it implements a new Install Time Compilation utility on the Update and Setup, so all the JIT operations are avoided at any BLIde launch.
Also integrates some small fixes.
BLIde version 00.09.98-a change log:

[*] Faster BLIde ever. BLIde now integrates a Install-Time Compilation system, based on NGen, (instead of using the default JIT compiler) so BLIde launches and operates faster than ever before. This removes all the previously requiered JIT operations. It's still .net but now converted to pure native binaries at install time.

[*] Several internal optimizations on memory management that make BLIde have a smaller memory footprint.

[*] Fixed an issue in the Welcome page that was making it possible to load another application in the middle of a debug session, leaving the BLIde debug session in an inconsistant state.

[*] Improved: LUA parser now integrates highlighting for operators (thanks to Tommo for changing and sharing the LUA parser XML regex source).

[*] Improved: Internal Editor scrolling is now performed directly by to OS, instead of being performed by the internal BLIde text renderer.

[*] Improved: Enabled horizontal scrolling from trackpads and supporting mice in addition to regular scrolling.

[*] Improved: Scrollbars in the editor window will auto-hide when they're not needed, leaving a much more clean and optimized layout.

[*] Fixed an issue that could make the code selection combo boxes hide.

[*] Improved: horizontal scollbars are now adaptative to reflect the maximum line length on the edited document.

[*] Fixed: The go to BLIde forum button now points to the new forum url.

Hope you find it useful.

Tommo(Posted 2009) [#116]
It's really much faster than previous version, maybe 2x faster I guess...
Nice job! :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#117]
Improved: horizontal scollbars are now adaptative to reflect the maximum line length on the edited document
YAY! That's bugged me forever but I didn't consider it worth mentioning. :D

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#118]
Forgot to mention also that now BLIde remembers it's location, window status and window size between runs... I'm getting sometimes x2 or even x3 speed increase at launch time. Yay!

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#119]
Nice, it does start up a lot faster now.

AlexO(Posted 2009) [#120]
Awesome update, crazy fast start up time!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#121]
So much faster !!
Incredible :D

Hope it is still as stable as before, I am in a crucial phase of release :)

Ohhh and the big comboboxes are back youpiiie !

Thanks a lot.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#122]
@Armitage 1982: Yes it is exactly as stable as before, as all the optimizations have been done in the way .net handles compilation, and not in the way BLIde executes. As a .net application, the executable is compiled (by default) at each run. When a type is requested by the application, the type is compiled, so BLIde was compiling itself while it was being used. That allows BLIde to take proffit of the specific hardware it is being run on always (and act like a native 64 bits application on 64 bits windows, and as a native 32 bits application on 32 bits windows, etc.)
This kind of runtime self compilation can give the application a very great performance when all the application has been compiled. But at launch time, the application is still compiling a lot of areas while launching the whole engine, and that can cause a slow application launch time.
While BLIde has been optimized in many ways to make this launch process as fast as possible, there has always been the need of JIT compilation, becouse of the nature of .net binaries. And that's how BLIde has been working until 00.09.97 versions.
In current version, the BLIde setup utility integrates a Install Time Compilation system, that adds a complete BLIde compilation when BLIde is installed so BLIde is still compiled for the native architecture it's going to be run on, but removing all the need of a run-time compilation, as BLIde.exe and all its .net DLLs have been converted to native binaries during the install process, internally using the NGen utility (native image generator) from the Microsoft .net tools.

You can read more about JIT and Install Time compilation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ht8ecch6.aspx

GfK(Posted 2009) [#123]
O_O

Load time is IMMENSELY quick now! Even faster than MaxIDE.

There's a problem though - when I open a new source file in an unmanaged project, the drop-box which should contain a list of all Types in the current file, is empty. It sometimes does contain the correct list of types, but usually its just blank.

I'm using Windows 7, and its a big project with (I think) 108 source files, if it matters.

[edit] BTW, this forum should have its own BLIde section.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#124]
when I open a new source file in an unmanaged project, the drop-box which should contain a list of all Types in the current file, is empty.

What do you mean by 'open a new' source file? You mean open a source code file that is in the project tree, but not opened as a tabbed document? or creating a new bmx file? or importing for the first time an already existing bmx file? I'm using the whole irrlitch engine (about 300 500 source code files mixing bmx with c and c++ files) to replicate this here, but I can't so I supose we're doing it differently.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#125]
Yep - opening a file by double-clicking in the solution explorer (files that I've had open many times before). If the files are already open when I load the solution, then the dropbox works fine. Its almost like it doesn't refresh itself when I open a file from solution explorer.

As its really difficult to navigate around my code without it working properly, I've temporarily gone back to 0.97 and everything's working fine in that.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#126]
@Gfk: I've found it and fixed it. I can send you fixed version if you don't want to wait for the next update. It was a very silly focus issue that was only happening when the parser was bussy and focus change (from the explorer to the editor window) was a bit delayed. That should not happen any more in next update. I really wish any bug was as easy to fix as this little one.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#127]
Well, if you want to send it over I'll try it and confirm its fixed?

[edit] Its fixed. :)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#128]
I have an improvement suggestion.

In the 'Find in Files' dialog (which I use extensively), could it be changed to a listview showing the full path to the file (for consistency I have several called 'game.bmx' in different folders), and also, if possible, could it be made to show which function/method/whatever that line of code is in?

therevills(Posted 2009) [#129]
Nice fast load up now Ziggy!

Could you please consider the two following suggestions:

* Option to disable the fade in effect when opening a project
* Option to Stop a Running Program via Pressing Escape if BLide is in focus

Thanks!

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#130]
We are using BLIDE at BFG now. I used Protean years ago for my BlitzBasic games, then made 4 BMax games in the default IDE.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#131]
@Grey Alien: I hope you enjoy using it! I really like knowing a game or application was coded using BLIde, so I'll stay tuned for your next release!

@Gfk: I will be re-designing the whole find and replace functionality on BLIde (find in files and regular "find and replace" will be a single tool with the functionality of both). I hope to have this available on BLIde 00.10.00 wich will come in a month or so if everything goes as planned. I will add additional information fields there (such as file location on disk) and maybe the AST node of the location where the text was found.

@therevills: The fade in/out effect will be customizable on the next BLIde release.