Default audio driver

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Default audio driver

marksibly(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I just noticed that the default audio driver is still "FreeAudio".

I thought this had been changed to "DirectSound" on Win32, as the FreeAudio driver still has that nasty 500ms delay on Vista - but it looks like I was wrong!

So...any objections to the default audio driver being changed to "DirectSound" on Win32, and left at "FreeAudio" on other platforms?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#2]
No objection from me. I would prefer DirectSound was the default (on Win32) in fact.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#3]
No objections.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
No objection.

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#5]
I object ... C-C-Combo Breaker!

Just joking, it's totally fine with me. :-)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#6]
No objection.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
I would prefer a push towards OpenAL, since it pretty much works on everything.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Downside of OpenAL is the external DLL dependency -- making it the default would be a hassle.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#9]
OpenAL here too, I use none of the other drivers as they can be screwy, which is no good at all.

Dabz

GfK(Posted 2009) [#10]
Downside of OpenAL is the external DLL dependency -- making it the default would be a hassle.
You say that, and I kind of agree, but, the fact of the matter is you can't use FreeAudio on Vista (anyone tried Win7 yet?), even DirectSound doesn't work right on some setups (crackly sound).

OpenAL is the only way to go, really. It might be a hassle but it needs doing. The only question mark is whether the onus should be on the Blitz user, or BRL to implement it as default.

But ultimately, why have a default audio engine that simply can't be relied upon?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
But ultimately, why have a default audio engine that simply can't be relied upon?

In my book, having crackly sound on 'some setups' is a better default behaviour than an app not working at all because an inexperienced programmer (or user!) didn't realize that the program also needed a DLL to be present on the destination computer.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#12]
I use Bass for my audio, but my vote would be using OpenAL as the default. No audio at all is better than crackling, unstable audio as far as first impressions go.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#13]
OpenAL has two problems that I have run into (this is coming from extensive tests on a Sound Blaster X-Fi card):

1) It sounds a bit muffled compared to DirectX. I'm not sure why this is, but I can clearly hear a difference between the two with DirectX sounding better. No one else has ever complained, so it must just be my setup.

2) Twice now I've switched between using my on-board audio and my X-Fi. When new drivers are installed, something gets screwed up with OpenAL and the call EnableOpenALAudio() locks my game hard. The only way to fix the problem is to use the Add/Remove Programs option in Windows and remove the OpenAL drivers from there (then reinstalling them if needed). This is certainly a driver issue (not a BlitzMax issue) however it's just another strike against OpenAL as the default Vista/Win7 driver IMO.

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#14]
No objection. I don't care which driver we use as default.

N(Posted 2009) [#15]
I'm putting in a vote for OpenAL as opposed to DirectSound.

popcade(Posted 2009) [#16]
How about some set-and-forget thing like RtAudio?

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtaudio/

And get rid of FreeAudio etc, I'm using REDi's MaxMod2 and is pretty satisfied with it.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#17]
No matter the debate. DirectSound for Vista is better than FreeAudio. So, if the debate is going to wage on, in the meantime until, it is still better to have DirectSound as opposed to FreeAudio for Vista.

And if mark is against having OpenAL, then DirectSound would be better than FreeAudio.