Realistic Polygon Collision Detection and Response

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Realistic Polygon Collision Detection and Response

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I have been struggling for a while with polygon to polygon collision detection and response. Does anyone know where I could find some useful bmax code to do this or even how to do this... I have seen many websites attempt to explain stuff like how to detect collision and how to respond to them but they all give examples in c and use calculus and weird symbols. I guess what I basically need is a Polygon Collision Repsonse for Idiots book. lol...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#2]
Maybe break it down to collisions between triangles?

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/GDI-plus/PolygonCollision.aspx

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#4]
for the collision part, there is a library in the code archives also my asteroids game with source has a real polygon colision type. It is in my filefront page pointed by my signature link if you use it make shure you create your poligon segments in a clock wise direction. The responce part is something I have been strugleing with also. I got so frustrated looking for a simple tutorial that I gave up on it. if you find something to help you, I hope you share it :).
I found some good code about 3 years ago searching the internet but a year ago when I was looking for it to use, I couldn't find them maybe because I couldn't remember what tags I used.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
hey skully, I have seen that page countless times to no avail but thanks anyway.

IH, thats a good idea.. maybe worth looking into but I really am looking for collision response more than detecting them.

Thanks jesse, dling now :)

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#6]
Nate hows the VerletMax coming?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
well its pretty good. There isnt much to say about its production except Ive tweaked the insides a lot and commented a lot of stuff to make it more understandable... but I still struggle with polygon collisions. Until christmas I will be taking a break from physics to figure out networking and get good at it. Then I can combine the two which is my ultimate goal.

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#8]
Cool, cool. I had started a 2d verlet physics engine a few years ago. Tried to find one of my game-like demos on the net, but it seems to be gone. I think it was when blitzcoder was still up, so :/.

Anyway, just getting back to it, had been discouraged with the 2d physics after loosing my code, and seeing all the recent games using it like Little big planet, trine, etc...

Started rewriting mine from scratch this weekend, so we may have to do some idea swapping here in a while.

xMicky(Posted 2009) [#9]
I find this a nice post:

Looking for rotated, scaled box collisions

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thanks xMicky. I will give it a test to see if its faster than what I have but I already have a decent way of finding collisions, I just cant figure out how to give a good response... :/

Oh, yeah, its really hard and frusturating to write things over again..and idea swapping is good, and basically what got me started on writing verlet physics. And the good thing is there is one right way to do it but so many other ways, so it should lead to some interesting idea swapping. Feel free to shoot me an email if u like.