Windows vista / 7 Tip and tweaks

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Windows vista / 7 Tip and tweaks

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi im currently working on XP pro and ubuntu linux at the moment and don't have a machine with vista. Although my laptop did come with vista it ran it so badly i uninstalled it.

My question is, I know there are a number of tweaks and work round that are need to get some features working on vista, what should i look out for if i want to make sure everything works in vista.

For example what problems are made by the UAC etc.

it would be great to get a list up somewhere with all the tweaks to get thinks working well in all the operating systems in one place.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#2]
If you're talking about how to get blitzmax working on Vista and windows 7, the best way to prevent issues is not installing it on program files. If you install it on c:\blitzmax as instance, UAC won't be preventing you to build modules, samples etc.
also, it is a great idea to have a development folder on the documents folder, and make your exes there, so they don't get virtualized. Also, if you're planning on deploying an application, test then your application inside program files and see how does it work with virtualization.
A good idea, when deploying is to embed a manifest file with the apropriate permissions, or program it in a way it handle properly files.
If you're thinking also about how to get some ides working nice on vista and windows 7, here's the 'tweaks' list for vista when using BLIde: http://www.blide.org/index.php?section=systemspecs (scroll to the bottom).

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks, some good tips

of coarse i will have to reinstall vista at some point to test my games but its good to know what to expect when i do, or one of the people playing my game.