Ludum Dare competition shopping list...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Ludum Dare competition shopping list...

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi there I'm going for the Ludum Dare compeition this weekend and would like to make a better showing than my last attempt so I'm shopping for free modules and code that will help...

The Rules for Ludum Dare are that any source used must be Freely available...

Last time I threw together a simple sprite object and then built a basic game on BlitzMax's collision system it worked but...

I would like to do better so if you were shopping for components specifically for the ludum dare 48hr compo what would you use?

I'm thinking a more data driven approach but what do you think...

Ludum Dare

And I'm going to write up my experience in an article for the next issue of BlitzMAX!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hmm no problem after being amazed by the what TimeLineFX can do and knowing from experience that a good collision detection is needed I'm going to try and mash together TimeLineFX and Box2D, not sure if it will even be possible but it would be cool!

And if you don't know something is impossible you have a better chance of doing it, or as Han Solo would say 'Don't tell me the odds!' ;o)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
Try the new community framework?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#4]
OK going to use the framework as a base!

Would really like to addin timelinefx's particle system and single surface rendering and box2d physics would be cool!

Still one step at a time!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hmm well what happended...

Stayed up to late then found out at 4am (GMT) that the theme was "Caverns" fell asleep with no game concept to fill the cavernous theme!

First day brainstormed the Cavern and decided to fill it with a fun game I would like to make of course RTS is the way to go in any 48hr compo! ;o)

Started working on the basic game concept in an art package (this could have been my first mistake!)

By the end of day one I had cobbled together from previous LD entries a basic start screen and tilemap in the game screen with a level layout!

Spent time working on the intro/menu screen

Hmm well to cut a long story short managed to get two unit's to fight and move autominously and even a carrier loaded with blue troops to appear but did not manage to include the landing craft, bunkers, doors, interiors and red troops set out in a static defence format..

Oh yeah user control of blue troops, knew I had forgotten something!

Still great fun and I it's a game I really want to finish!

You can track my diet (lot's of food shots, it is actully an aspect of the competition you get marked on!) and progress shot's or lack of here

I would highly recommend it as it's great fun!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#6]
Check out 'superflats' entry I think he did used BlitzMAX and completed a game ...

Here