BlitzMax And Snow Leopard ...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax And Snow Leopard ...

mic_pringle(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

Since Snow Leopard is officially released on Friday (28th) does anyone know whether or not BlitzMax is fully compatible ?

Thanks

-Mioc

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Probably. Maybe.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2009) [#3]
Guess we only have three days to wait until we find out. If the apple blurb is to be believed we may get a speed increase?

N(Posted 2009) [#4]
Should work.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'm guessing probably maybe with a sprinkle of likely... but thats just the prophet in me ;)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#6]
If not Brucey will make it work... ;)

Winni(Posted 2009) [#7]
I will know on Friday. Or whenever my box arrives. But I might not be able to post anything for a couple of days: We're moving to our new house tomorrow, and I do not yet know when Vodafone will install DSL at our new place and my UMTS/3G stick does not find a network there... Anyway, I'm sure the dog will love the garden and hopefully will get along with the neighbor's dog as well.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#8]
Anyway, I'm sure the dog will love the garden and hopefully will get along with the neighbor's dog as well.

Go Gustav!

I see Snow Leopard comes with basic malware detection. A sign of things to come I guess...

therevills(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hey Brucey,

Do you think your method of creating a Universal build will still work with Snow Leopard? (Since Apple have ripped out all (?) the PowerPC stuff)

Currently we have got 10.5 and soon (I hope) wanting to create a Universal build using your cool method.

Cheers!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
If the new XCode can build for PPC then it should still work.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2009) [#11]
Anyone tried it yet?

mic_pringle(Posted 2009) [#12]
@Nigel

I'm off to the Apple shop at lunch so will be trying it this evening. Will post back and let people know either way.

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
I was also considering getting it at lunchtime... but if it doesn't work, I'll suddenly have a lot of spare time on my hands :-p

mic_pringle(Posted 2009) [#14]
@Brucey

You could always purchase it, but hold off on installing it until I post back.

From what I've read though I don't think there should be any compatibility issues with BlitzMax itself as Snow Leopard is just Leopard tarted up and tidied up, with the addition of Grand Central and OpenCL.

I do feel however that any free time you do have may be taken up making sure all your mods build okay, given that some of the libraries you've wrapped may have issues :-)

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#15]
Well, as long as they don't bump up the version of GCC (from 4.0), then everything should work as before.

Otherwise, things tend to get a little hairy...

<EDIT>
Interestingly, the Apple Dev website still shows Leopard as current... and requires lots of money for me to access the Snow Leopard section, which is a bit of a nuisance.
I guess they're just behind...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#16]
I have a copy sitting here on my desk.

However, the nice sales-girl told me that there's no dev tools on the DVD... and I'm not convinced my XCode will play nice with it - and there's still no download available on the website (unless you are an ADC Premier or Select developer) ...

Ack :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#17]
Realising one must take a what sales-person says with a large pinch of salt... I stuck the DVD in the drive, and had a rummage.
There appears to be a copy of XCode 3.2 on board :-)

GCC 4.2 plus continued support for 10.4 builds and Universal...

I suppose I should get my computer set up for an upgrade...

Qube(Posted 2009) [#18]
I'll be holding off upgrading until my first iPhone game is complete. As I'm not as familiar with OS X as I am with Windows issues I'm not changing a thing as it's all working at the moment :)

Be interesting to hear if snow leopard is a simple upgrade and everything just continues to work as expected. Crossed fingers to those taking the plunge.

d-bug(Posted 2009) [#19]
BlitzMax is running quite well on SnowLeopard, as long you don't plan to rebuild all your modules with XCode 3.2 or are using RequestDir, wich is having an issue with an unsupported method, but is still running.
Rebuilding all modules starts with issues in blitz.mod:

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_array.c
/Developer/Blitz/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_array.c:335: error: conflicting types for 'qsort_b'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:319: error: previous declaration of 'qsort_b' was here
Build Error: failed to compile /Developer/Blitz/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_array.c
Process complete

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#20]
Compiling:blitz_array.c

Heh... that's the *first* module that gets compiled. Good start ;-)

... just backed up the box, and currently installing 10.5.8 combo (am currently on 10.5.6 - thought I may as well get my OS X up-to-date first)... then off we'll go to 10.6...

MikeMax(Posted 2009) [#21]
Waiting for other tests before upgrading to SL ... :D

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#22]
Okay... re-building modules... fixing things as I go (if required).

I installed base 10.6 with everything enabled (including Rosetta for PPC runtime support) except for extra languages.
Then I installed XCode.
Then I installed X11 (although this may have already been installed, probably, and I doubt any of y'all use it anyway).

Had to re-enable my Display Profile.

The upgrade bricked Little Snitch and NXClient. I've updated LS to the latest beta, so I feel a little less naked now :-p
My NXClient (which I use to open Linux (from another machine) on my Mac desktop, is quite dead. Looks like I'll need to wait for an update. Back to chair swivelling I suppose.

oooh. build fails on my curses module. "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type". Gotta love these newer GCCs... so much more macho in their coding standards :-p

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#23]
Only 25 mins to fix that one... fun fun :-)

N(Posted 2009) [#24]
I'm jealous. My copy doesn't arrive until Sept. 1st (hopefully, although working out shipping addresses for these apartments is a nightmare).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#25]
Apart from the issues mentioned by d-bug the standard BlitzMax install is building and running fine on 10.6.

I've posted a report on the dev forum with fixes, so hopefully Mark can sneak them in before the next release :-)

Surprisingly, both wxMax and QtMax apps build and run without requiring "library" rebuilds. Which is a bit of a relief.

On a general kind of note, I haven't really noticed much change with 10.6. Some apps appear to open quicker (like Terminal, which just pops up), and I think GCC is working faster, but it could all be in my mind. My Eudora emailer still works, fortunately (it's a PPC app!).

Anything else interesting I should know about in 10.6?

N(Posted 2009) [#26]
I believe I'd read that you could have split terminal windows (e.g., two visible terminals to a window or something of that nature). Any idea if that works, or if it was just a rumor? Aside from that, most of the interesting changes won't really be noticeable, I don't think. E.g., OpenCL and Grand Central Dispatch are both under the hood sort of things that I don't think any (non-Apple, anyway) apps are likely to use right now...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#27]
Any idea if that works?

Oooh. There's a little button above the scrollbar which splits it. Very cool :-)
That'll save me scrolling back and forth looking for things!

I've been reading some of the dev docs for GCD, which is all about using dispatch queues rather than threads. Sounds like it might be fun to play with, although I don't think it will sit well with BlitzMax's posix thread implementation.
I don't have a new-enough gfx card to play with OpenCL... ho hum :-p

d-bug(Posted 2009) [#28]
Anything else interesting I should know about in 10.6?

I've found an interesting new feature in the QuickTime Player: Screencasts! I didn't read anywhere about it. Go away iShowU and hello QTP!

To my surprise nearby anything was working without issues. iStats Menus, Linkinus and 1Password are the great exceptions. Linkinus has to be downgraded to work again, wich is a bit... strange?! -.-

Something wich really strikes my nerves: You have to restart preferences to get Growl-Pane running. Not that I often change my Growl settings, but...

MikeMax(Posted 2009) [#29]
for conclusion ... (i'm not sure to understand everything ...)

is Blitzmax 1.33 (and minib3d) working well in Snow Leopard ?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#30]
is Blitzmax 1.33 working well in Snow Leopard ?

Other than the build and runtime issue that d-bug mentioned, it appears to work fine.

The next version (1.34) has been patched and will work with Snow Leopard. It should be out quite soon, I think.

You have to restart preferences to get Growl-Pane running

Oh? I haven't looked in there yet, although I have seen some console messages (using the Console utility) which implies Growl needs an update to fix some stuff - it's possibly related to the issues you've had with it.

MikeMax(Posted 2009) [#31]

The next version (1.34) has been patched and will work with Snow Leopard. It should be out quite soon, I think.

Yeah ! good news :D

Thx Brucey :)

Panno(Posted 2009) [#32]
hopefully it run also with older osx as 10.6 fter the update

MikeMax(Posted 2009) [#33]
i've updated to SL .... almost everything is working well ... but blitzmax compilation doesn't work (same error in 32bits boot mode) :

Compiling:3DVO.bmx
sh: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Users/mike/Desktop/3DVO/.bmx/3DVO.bmx.gui.debug.mt.macos.x86.s
Process complete

sniiiiiiirf (i have to install xCode 3.2 i think) ;)

Can't wait for the 1.34 patch ! :D .. soon ?

MikeMax(Posted 2009) [#34]
after reinstalling XCode 3.2 (on the SL DVD), BlitzMax Compilation works ! (i don't have tried to rebuild all modules on d-bug recommendations)

Waiting for the 1.34 version ... :)

mic_pringle(Posted 2009) [#35]
@All

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread, but it seems the only thing that's broken for me is my USB modem drivers, hence the lack of posting over the weekend.

Anyhow, it seems Brucey has done a pretty solid job of testing things out. Hopefully 1.34 will be out soon with Brucey's patches and SL will play nicely with BlitzMax.

In the meantime, I'm hoping Three's tech support can sort out a patch for my drivers !!!

-Mic

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#36]
Problems with 3G? ;-)

I could do with a new NXClient... ho hum.