WIKI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/WIKI

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#1]
It's Shame we don't have a wiki anymore!!!

Previous attempts have all faded away because none of us want to worry about domain registration, hosting, wiki management, upgrade of the wiki and the costs involved.

Shall we create a BlitzMax Wiki on Wikia.com? I'm happy to do it if no-one else wants to, but I need to see if anyone else actually wants one and will help populate it.

We can worry about one thing... Content and Blitzmax. (Two things then.. lol)

Who's with me on this?

...and please, if there is one already; why don't we know about it?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
The main issue I think, is a distinct lack of drive and coordination.

It's all very well someone coming along and offering to set something up and get it started, but after 5 minutes they've usually got fed up of having to do everything themselves, and it dies a quiet death.

I was all for helping with the first one. But when it went away (fairly quickly) it didn't seem like much point investing much time in the next. Which appears to be justified, as the last 2 (or 3) have lasted just as long.

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#4]
@Plash
Yeah, I've seen the wikibooks, but the problem with that is Search. You get all sorts of rubbish from it, not simply the subject you are working on.

@Brucey
Same with me. Adding stuff to a Wiki that doesn't last 5 minutes is soul destroying. Thats the main reason why I suggested Wikia.com, it's likely to hang around long after we have gone.

I'm and editor for 2 Game-related Wikis on there and an admin for another. It doesn't have to be a single person running it, you can nominate those people who put time and effort into it.

I believe there are some backups from the old ones kicking about. I could get those restored onto Wikia if we chose to go ahead.

(Would also be nice to have some docs and examples for your modules all in one place)

plash(Posted 2009) [#5]
(Would also be nice to have some docs and examples for your modules all in one place)
I don't think that's the way to go, at least not entirely.
You could have a few examples for third-party modules and maybe some information, but I would leave the documentation to the developer/manager of the project (just linking off to their site or suggesting other ways to get to the docs).

I believe there are some backups from the old ones kicking about. I could get those restored onto Wikia if we chose to go ahead.
How extensive is the backup? Depending on what layout/formatting/style we might want to change it to, it might be better off as a blank slate.

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#6]
@Plash: True, I agree with that.

I have no idea what state the backups are in...

Anyway. I just created a Wikia for blitzmax, so If anyone wants to use it, or help me organise it's layout then I'd appreciate the help.

http://blitzmax.wikia.com

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#7]
Main page is now up on the WIKI

@Plash: Sorry, I have moved your front page to the Blitzmax page for the moment whilst I sort out a front page that can manage a lot of data....

Thareh(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'd love to help out with content :)
Gonna add some stuff later!

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
@Scaremonger: No problem. Check my talk page, I want to go over a few of the specifics on formatting and layout.

Blueapples(Posted 2009) [#10]
I can't understand why you would want to use an ad filled piece of garbage like wikia when a perfectly good MediaWiki based project already exists on WikiBooks (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/BlitzMax). Don't let the "books" part fool you - it's just a wiki.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#11]
Another BlitzMax Wiki? Will this one die too?

Old ones which are now dead:

http://www.blitzwiki.org/
http://www.blitzmax.org/

Im sure there was another one as well...

Hope this one works out... or as BlueApples suggested use the WikiBooks Blitz one...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#12]
I vote we have 3 wikis... people like choice :-)

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#13]
@Thareh: Come on over and join in...

@Blueapples: Currently; there are no ads on the new Blitzmax wiki and as I said earlier: Wikibooks is great as long as you don't want to search for something. Try searching for "array" on wikibooks and you'll see what I mean...

@Therevills: Yep. I've used and added stuff to both of those, but Blitzmax users come and go... Wikia is not run by a user, it's there for all of us.

@Brucey: Go for it man... Competition is always a good thing :)

WIKI SO FAR
=============
* Front page layout is done.
* Plash has done lots of work on the module pages.
* I've started working on the Language with Arrays but won't get much done today cos I'm going to the pub :)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#14]
Currently; there are no ads on the new Blitzmax wiki

Well, that's funny, because when I go there it's full of ads. Mostly very red "Virgin Media" ads.

It looks terrible - with ads splattered all over.
But hey, each to their own.

jsp(Posted 2009) [#15]
It looks terrible - with ads splattered all over.

Yep, and it's also localized...

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
Well, that's funny, because when I go there it's full of ads. Mostly very red "Virgin Media" ads.
Strange.. When I go there with AdBlock off, the only thing I see is an ad to 'Vim Tips', another Wikia article.

jsp(Posted 2009) [#17]
Well, I see always a top banner, always on the left some more ads and depending on the content something on the right or in the middle. Not very funny.

plash(Posted 2009) [#18]
Well, I see always a top banner, always on the left some more ads and depending on the content something on the right or in the middle. Not very funny.
That's rather unacceptable.

Better search + ads vs. using Google for searching - ads.. I think Wikibooks is the winner.

Blueapples(Posted 2009) [#19]

Try searching for "array" on wikibooks and you'll see what I mean...

Click "search this book" on the left under toolbox...

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&cof=&domains=en.wikibooks.org%2Fwiki%2FBlitzMax&q=array&btnG=Search&sitesearch=en.wikibooks.org%2Fwiki%2FBlitzMax

Scaremonger(Posted 2009) [#20]
I don't get any adverts at all (See below for possible reason), but if you are all suffering with them; then forget it... No point...

and @Blueapples - Thanks. I hadn't seen that before. Makes a whole difference...

PS..
For those of you plagued by adverts try this. Basically you put this in your system "hosts" file and it prevents you from downloading them.