Anyone had issues with large fonts in Windows 7?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Anyone had issues with large fonts in Windows 7?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
Specifically, switching to fullscreen mode when running with fonts set to 144 dpi(150%) fails.

I don't know exactly how it fails, because it's another user who's having a problem with their game, but the game runs fine windowed apparently, and switches to fullscreen mode just fine normally, but the minute you enable large fonts, swithcing to fullscreen mode fails.

(And this is when switching before you launch the game, not while it's already launched.)

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'd imagine that a 144pt font (since they're converted to Timages) will take up a colossal amount of memory. So, it's possibly that.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
That's a lot of 256x256 textures :-)

sswift(Posted 2009) [#4]
I said 144dpi, not 144 points.

A 144dpi font isn't 144 pixels tall. Fonts in windows are normally 96dpi. This gets converted to pixels in such a way that on XP and 98 at least, one point equals one pixel, so your 9 point default font size is 9 pixels tall.

But you can change the DPI in windows, and increasing it makes the fonts bigger... which is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect, but that's Microsoft for you.

In short, a 144dpi font should take up only 2.25x more ram than a normal font. (Based on a 150% increase in size on each axis.)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#5]
Doesn't seem to be anything to do with blitz, then. Not enough video/ram to have fonts that big plus play your game?