Loading progress...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Loading progress...

orgos(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi people, i have problem to implement a loading feature.

I have my process to load resources, thats consist in a couple of lines reading the resources, imgs, sounds, and fonts.

I update my progress bar on each loaded resources, but now i want to make another load screen with some dinamics animations.

So i want to have a real progress of my loads and in the same screen while loading have a sprites animations.

What can be the best way to implement it?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
You need to load your resources in a separate thread, whilst running the loading animation or whatever in the main thread until the 'loading' thread ends.

Apparently graphics contexts are not thread-safe so you shouldn't do it the other way around, i.e. don't load graphics in the main thread and run the loading anim in a sub thread.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#3]
Assuming you have the latest version of BlitzMax installed, check \samples\threads\background_loading.bmx for an example.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
Assuming you have the latest version of BlitzMax installed, check \samples\threads\background_loading.bmx for an example.
I didn't understand that bit of code last time you told me about it. Its a cracking bit of code, now that I understand Tmaps!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#5]
Looking at it again, that code was really confusing, given it was only meant to be a simple example. I tried to make it too generic when I should have just hard-coded a bunch of global filenames.

I've just done a quick hack-job to make it work with simple arrays of pixmaps/images/filenames -- save this into the \samples\threads folder and run:

This should make the basic loading process easier to follow anyway.

orgos(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thanks for all the answers, thanks BlitzSupport for the example.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#7]
So how would you implement a simple int loading counter in this example?

orgos(Posted 2009) [#8]
If you have the amount of resources to load in a global variable and you update that when you load each resource you can make a int loader or percent loader if you want to have more realistic progress bar.