I have an idea...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/I have an idea...

warcrest(Posted 2009) [#1]
First off, I'm not really a programmer, but I am working on a game. It's a solo team kinda thing, but it keeps me occupied. Personally, I'm more into level design and environment props, but that's neither here nor there.

My idea...

Genetica texture generator, Houdini, and World Machine 2 all use a visual, node-based design interface. At first I'm thinking it's a nifyt new fad. Idea not quite formed yet.

Then I started looking around at some of these mindmapper programs they have running around , which use a similar node-based design interface.

Click.

So I searched around, and I found that there seems to be only one thing that comes close to what I'm thinking, and it comes with the paid versions of Visual Studio. (Not sure there, but I haven't found it in the express edition.)

But what about a program with a similar node-based environment that generates BlitzMax and C++ classes. Or at least the framework. I'd do it, but as I said, I'm not a programmer.

Feel free to steal it and do what you will, just remember me when it's done. :D

Ooohh... and make the nodes skinnable. Helps with the visualization and inspiration. You know, artist stuff. :)

You have to admit there's potential in an artist friendly programming environment.

Winni(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yes, there's a lot of potential in science fiction projects. But only when you have NASA-like funding and human resources and don't need to care about the commercial viability...

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#3]
So something like this that I made a while ago, but graphical?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#4]
That sounds remarkably similar to UML modelling, it's a professional design approach whereby you design the object/class structure and the tool generates the class code or from the code creates the diagram, have a look at List of UML tools

warcrest(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ahhhh. Looked for the wrong thing. Yeah, like that, but with BMax support.

I might get a hair up my ass and play with it. It doesn't seem that it should be too difficult to do. Load graphics, snap them together, a few splines, add text, generate code...

Of course, I've been wrong before. :)