The story behind Private and Public?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/The story behind Private and Public?

Tibit(Posted 2009) [#1]
Why is is that Private and Public doesn't work with Types? Seems like such an simple thing (though nothing ever is). Anyhow it would be really handy, both when making modules and especially, as I'm doing now, coding using IntelliSense.

Anyone who knows the story?

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
Why is is that Private and Public doesn't work with Types?

It doesn't?

N(Posted 2009) [#3]
It doesn't?
I should suspect he is trying to do something like encapsulation and hide certain fields and/or methods. In such a context, e.g., within types, it doesn't work.

Strict

Type Foo
  Private

Field m_a:Int

Public

Method a:Int()
    Return m_a
  End Method
End Type

Above will not compile.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#4]
I should suspect he is trying to do something like encapsulation and hide certain fields and/or methods. In such a context, e.g., within types, it doesn't work.

Oh, well I was thinking wrapping an entire type as private. :)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
That for sure would be a nice feature. I know my game would crash if quite a few "private" variables within types were modified manually.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#6]
When using an ide like BLIde you can add a block like this:
Rem
bbdoc: DO NOT TOUCH THIS
End Rem
Field m_ptr:Byte Ptr

That way when you're using intellisense it'll show up, reminding you not to touch it :-).

matibee(Posted 2009) [#7]
This can't be a new idea (maybe even part of the reason for private in the first place), but I just did a test with a public type that has it's member data locked up in a private type and it works well.

SuperStrict 

Module foo.privatetypes 

Private 

Type fooPrivate
	Field iX:Int
	Field iY:Int

Function Create:fooPrivate( iX:Int, iY:Int )
		Local n:fooPrivate = New fooPrivate
		n.iX = iX
		n.iY = iY
		Return n
	End Function 
End Type 

Public 

Type fooPublic
	Field foo:fooPrivate

Method SetX( iX:Int )
		foo.iX = iX
	End method

Method GetX:Int ()
		Return foo.iX
	End Method 

Method SetY( iY:Int )
		foo.iY = iY
	End Method

Method GetY:Int ()
		Return foo.iY
	End Method 

Function Create:fooPublic ( iX:Int, iY:Int )
		Local n:fooPublic = New fooPublic
		n.foo = fooPrivate.Create( iX, iY )
		Return n
	End Function 
End Type 

SuperStrict 

Import foo.privateTypes

Local pvt:fooPublic = fooPublic.Create( 200, 100 )

pvt.foo.iX = 20 ' will not compile!

Print pvt.GetX()
Print pvt.GetY()

pvt.SetX( 1 )
pvt.SetY( 99 )

Print pvt.GetX()
Print pvt.GetY()

I'm not a fan of Getters and Setters blindly replacing public members but they are useful if they are doing more than in this example (bounds checking etc).

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#8]
@matibee: This is how the fontmachine module is done to encapsulate public and private members and it works like a charm. It is like making a wraper, creating an public 'interface' for the private member.

N(Posted 2009) [#9]
While that is a solution, it's a hacky solution. I'd prefer not to have to use hacks to do something.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#10]
@Nillum: Of course.

Tibit(Posted 2009) [#11]
@Htbaa, hehe yeah that's a creative work-around^^

@matibee, yeah. I have thought about re-factoring some more sensitive code to work like that.

Like said, its a bit hacky. For a module it could work pretty good, especially if it is an non-opensource module. Users are only going to be aware of the variables/fields/methods you tell them about, but when it comes to opensource, private would be nice and (especially with the help of intellisense) make the code cleaner, since non-public stuff would not show up.

What do you think the original reason for it to not work "as expected"? Anything that could be "fixed"?

Blueapples(Posted 2009) [#12]
Just put an underscore at the beginning of any member that you intend to be private and anyone crazy enough to change it can deal with the consequences. Problem solved. Note that this is how Python works and it doesn't seem to cause them any problems at all.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#13]
Even in languages that do support private or protected fields lots of people prefix them with an underscore. I do so as well. It's very easy to recognize.