Is it possible to display normal mapped objects?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Is it possible to display normal mapped objects?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
Blitzmax doesn't support shaders, right? So does that mean it's not possible to display normal mapped objects in the version of OpenGL it uses? Is is possible to display displacement mapped objects?

I suppose if I had to I could build a dense mesh with a vertex per pixel to accomplish something similiar, but that would be a terrible way to go about it.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#2]
Blitzmax doesn't support shaders, right?

Right.

N(Posted 2009) [#3]
You can use shaders, but not with the current implementation of GLMax2D. You would have to rewrite that to use the programmable pipeline for rendering. If you're using straight OpenGL, you really don't have any limits provided it's OpenGL 2.0 code. I had an update for using the latest version of glew (which provides OpenGL 3.0), but my site is probably going to be down for something like a week, and even then I have to restore it from backup again, so there's nothing I can do about providing that. You'd have to update it yourself if you wanted to use GL 3.0.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#4]
Let me rephrase the question.

I want to display normal/displacement mapped 3D objects in a window.

What's the best/easiest to use 3D lib for BlitzMax which can handle normal/displacement maps and will allow me to easily create some primitives textured with them?

N(Posted 2009) [#5]
Probably Leadwerks.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#6]
Allow me to rephrase the question agian:

What's the best/easiest to use FREE 3D lib for BlitzMax which can handle normal/displacement maps and will allow me to easily create some primitives textured with them?

(I'm broke. I can't afford to spend $150 just to display some 3D primitives.)

Ked(Posted 2009) [#7]
Ninfa3D?

N(Posted 2009) [#8]
What's the best/easiest to use FREE 3D lib for BlitzMax which can handle normal/displacement maps and will allow me to easily create some primitives textured with them?
Learn OpenGL.

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
This thread is like the changing minds of the American 'politicians'..

N(Posted 2009) [#10]
This thread is like the changing minds of the American 'politicians'..
Indeed.

sswift(Posted 2009) [#11]
Ked:
Thanks. That looks interesting. And it apparently uses the Irrlicht engine and there's a couple wrappers for that, so I'll check them both out.

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#12]
LE is only $50 if you order before Monday:
http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85802

markcw(Posted 2009) [#13]
miniB3D extended.

plash(Posted 2009) [#14]
LE probably won't be the engine for you, as you seem to be targeting casual gamers (the Leadwerks Engine requires a rather high-end graphics card).

sswift(Posted 2009) [#15]
Leadwerks:
Sorry Josh, but right now I'm living in poverty. I can barely afford to pay my electricity bill, nevermind spend $50 on a 3D engine.

Plash:
I'm not developing a game, I'm making Seamless Texture Generator 2. (It's the only thing I'm selling right now that's actually making money.)

But yeah, I don't want to target cards which are too high end. I'd like to keep the size of the download down too.

Mark:
I'll look into that.