Is it possible to use DirectInput in Blitzmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Is it possible to use DirectInput in Blitzmax?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm having a problem with mouse input in my game.

Windows appears to enable "pointer precision" by default, and this screws up the movement of the ship in my game. Instead of smoothly accelerating, the ship either barely moves at all, or shoots from one side of the screen to the other.

The reason for this is I'm doing my own physics on the ship, so that when you stop moving the pointer the ship doesn't instantly come to a halt. Disabling the ship physics is not an option, as then moving the ship would feel like a mouse pointer and that's incredibly cheesy.

So, I need another way to read the mouse position that isn't affected by pointer ballistics in Windows. And to do that, I have one of two options.

The first option requires me to be able to read windows messages. But BlitzMax lacks the ability to do this in any easy fashion. Someone seemed to indicate I could manually create another window in order to access these messages, but I've already got two buttoms on the start bar that hang around for a bit after you exit the game, one for graphics mode, and one for handinging windowed mode and windows messages the normal way. I don't need three of them.

The other option is DirectInput. I thought someone said DirectInput was no longer supported by Microsoft, but this does not seem to be the case. So is it possible to read the mouse input with DirectInput in Blitzmax? How might I go about this?