win 98 or linux?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/win 98 or linux?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi I have an old PC that I wish to use for blitzmax DEV.

The IDE says its not compatible with win98...is there a different compatible version?

If not then what version of linux is good for
old system with <100MB of RAM and has a good installer like Ubuntu (with hard drive partitioner built in).

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Xubuntu

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#3]
I would love to use a variant of Ubuntu because the latest versions automatically install OpenGL drivers.
Xubuntu uses a different front-end but it still needs about 256MB of RAm at least

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
It uses a different front-end but it still needs about 512MB of RAm at least
I am not sure where you get this info, but perhaps you should contact them to update their site to the new info you have provided.

Like their site says, it runs fine on a 128MB system for me.

Since you do not know how much RAM you have (<100MB is not useful as it could be 1 MB, 4MB, 64MB (anything less than 100MB)), it is going to be hard for anybody to help.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#5]
its 96MB

When I used Xubuntu on a system with 256 MB it ran very slowly but when I bought another 512MB it ran fine. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
If you look on the Product Updates page, there's a 1.30 IDE which is meant to be 98 compatible.

I hope you never have to build any modules with your old PC... well, perhaps over-night ;-)

Blueapples(Posted 2009) [#7]
http://www.puppylinux.org/

Perfect for you. Not sure if BM runs on it though. I believe I got it to work but can't recall now.

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#8]
96mb? Forget any Linux with GUI, go for Win98. Although not as stable as Linux, it will run much faster. (Yes, I tested it a lot to come to this conclusion!)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#9]
I tried it on win98 and had some strange errors, then I installed fluxbuntu it works good so far, havent installed the necessary libraries to use blitzmax yet though

markcw(Posted 2009) [#10]
Wow, nice one. Fluxbuntu is cool.

nawi(Posted 2009) [#11]
Install archlinux and xfce, the system is below 100mb of ram.. Although that requires some linux knowledge, but it's easy and there's great WIKIs to configure it. there's alos damn small linux, but I haven't used it.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#12]
Hmm, fluxbuntu is like version 7 of Ubuntu which cant install libx11-dev without complaining of dependency issues. I even updated it to version 8 but then I lost internet connection and browser.

Has anyone used blitzmax on puppylinux or archlinux?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#13]
No idea, just try them out and let us know if it works I guess. You could also use Knoppix and PenDrive.

http://www.knoppix.net/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

nawi(Posted 2009) [#14]
BlitzMax works fine on Archlinux.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#15]
I installed archlinux but I cant get the internet connection working to install a desktop environment. I am asking at their forums for help

nawi(Posted 2009) [#16]
Wired internet connection should work out of the box, WLAN is somewhat trickier in CLI, but should be easy in a desktop environment.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#17]
96mb? Forget any Linux with GUI, go for Win98. Although not as stable as Linux, it will run much faster. (Yes, I tested it a lot to come to this conclusion!)
What did you test it with? I have a 100mhz 486DX4 laptop with 64meg and it runs DSL beautifully, much better (and smaller) than w9x.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#18]
I installed Xubuntu in the end, its the only one that lets me go online

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#19]
They all usually do if you know how ;)

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#20]
Xubuntu was too slow, so I tried Arch again,
its pretty good,