BlitzMaxCoder.com magazine submissions?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMaxCoder.com magazine submissions?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#1]
A site dedicated to BlitzMax developers!

What would you like to see in the new BlitzMaxCoder magazine/website?

Do you have something you are proud of and would like to show to the BlitzMax world?

So far things on the list to include...

News - Anything new and interesting...

Programming - Generally how to get the best out of BlitzMax
Tutorials
Demo Code
Tips and Tricks

How To Articles - Things that take BlitzMax to the next level
Utilities
Tools
3D integration
Networking
Module construction

Interviews - People doing good things...

Competitions - Can you raise your game?

Reviews - Games/Tools/Utils...

Anything else you would like to see?

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hosting for demos/games some people put up some good examples on the blitzcoder site.

Tutorials/articles

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
News like in the old blitz newsletters

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'd be happy to contribute some of my mathsy articles if you want.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#5]
Tutorial - Yes I was thinking of beginner/inermediate/advanced tutorials, but what would you like to see?

Hosting - Possible but may depend on bandwidth limits.

@Imaginary Human - News definitly but could you be more specific or provide a link?

@Warpy - excellent I know I could use help with the maths sometimes any areas you would like to cover? Do you have anything for the first issue?

I was thinking of including a programming competition what do you think?

REQUESTS...

Game For Review? - Would anyone like to submit a BlitzMax game for review or even better provide a review of a BlitzMax game (not your own though!)

Interview? - I'm calling out for a developer with at least one title out there who would like to be interviewed about their development experience?

Making of Postmortem? - Would you like to provide a Gamasutra like postmortem of your most recent project, what went right and what went wrong?

Competition? - Could you provide a prize for a programming competition? Or ideas on what competitions would interest you?

Articles? - Would you like to contribute or see articles about games development/programming in general what topic interest you?

Anything else you can think of?

Alessandro(Posted 2009) [#6]
Take a look to AUM magazine for 3D Game studio:

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/aum.php

byo(Posted 2009) [#7]
Games, lots of games. A showcase with categories like Demos, Complete Games separated by genre (adventure, RPG, FPS, etc.).

This and the source code for some of these games would attract lots of game makers.

And maybe a special section about all these 3D engines. I see there is a whole lotta engines around for Blitzmax but little use of them. Maybe it's because people don't know how stable they, what they can do or where to start.

Blitzmax is powerful so we could show how powerful it really is. There are lots of games from Blitzcoder which I'd love to download and play again. :)

Alessandro(Posted 2009) [#8]
@Marx, did you do graphics in your site (blitzmaxcoder.com)?
Welcome screen (work in progress) is amazing!

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#9]
If you are going to do this (and i would like it if you did) you should have a clear goal:

Either your primary target is new/potential Blitzmax users or the existing userbase.

It makes a big difference, the existing users know the handful of websites which have blitzmaxcode scattered. You would have to come up with new and advanced material and it would raise the bar for newcommers.

The Assari ( http://www.2dgamecreators.com/tutorials/gameprogramming/index.html ) code could use a revival. That would be an excellent startingpoint when your target is new/potential Blitzmax users.
Andy_mc's youtube blitzbasic tutorials covering platformgame creation could be easy converted to Blitzmax and would be a good multi-mag tutorial.
Germany has a very active userbase. They have excellent games and code and i bet there's someone that would volunteer to do translation to and from german for the magazine (i'm dutch, my german is so-so).
The magazine could be a bridge between the language devided communities.

Also i think you should keep to Blitzmax, that's where the future is for newcommers.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#10]
@Alessandro Yes I did the graphics but the design was derived from an illustrator tutorial!

@Philip7 Well it only started as an idea to provide BlitzMax with a 'good looking' easy to access information point or Magazine but mainly it's to provide something back...

@Philip7 So Core Goal - Online PDF Magazine to be released at least monthly but if potentially bi-weekly when content allows.

A supporting website with features that people want and a place to store older articles in an easy to access format!

@Philip7 great tutorial links, is there a link to the german blitzmax forums or someone who frequents both?

Philip7(Posted 2009) [#11]
The german Blitzforum is here: http://www.blitzforum.de/forum/index.php

The user that could start the ball rolling is BladeRunner, he's the moderator (atleast of the BMax part) of the forum.
I just browse the forum for code there, i haven't ever posted a message there so they don't know me.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#12]
BRL used to do newsletters which they made available on the homepage once a month or so, There is a website somewhere on the net I saw which has all of the newsletters gathered together for easy access. They had news and articles and interviews and reports on what just got released in the community, etc.

_33(Posted 2009) [#13]
articles on how to integrate 3D in BlitzMax, a tutorial for use with miniB3d and possibly an article about Leadwerk's Engine.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#14]
This looks promising, however things like this take alot of support from the original owner, so many sites like this fail because the owner gets bored, expected to make money, don't have the time, yada, yada, yada. Will keep an eye on this and see if it grows or stalls. Good luck!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#15]
@MGE Well I am hoping to tap into the best the blitzmax and it's game development community has to offer and just present it in a nice wrapper so It will be only as good as we can make it!

andy_mc(Posted 2009) [#16]
It would be a good idea to go through the tutorial and code sections on this site and ask the authors if you can use their material on the blitzmaxcoder site.
Some developer interviews would be good
mention a few games that have made it commercially written in bmax, like Grey Aliens bigFishGames titles.
Also lots of links to related sites (developer sites that us bmax, leadworks 3d engine, etc...)

There is the question of the forum. Blitzcoder had a forum which often mirrored the discussions here. But then you didn't need a licence to join the blitzcoder forums so some people there were probably using pirated version of bmax, which obviously we don't want to encourage. Although I'm sure half the people who watch my b3d youtube tuts don't have a legal copy.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#17]
@andy_mc Yep, I have been e-mailing a few people now including your good self, I have contacted Grey Aliens (but I think he's on holiday based on his twitter feed)...

Come on guys I know we have a great community here if you can help with articles, tips, news, games please contact me!?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#18]
The place holder image that you have at your site right now, it would help if you were showing the `actual site` how it would be laid out and what ig might look like, even if there isn't currently much content.

That said I probably will work on the article you requested.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#19]
Well I'm keeping it simple to start with the core being the magazine, then branching out from there so even with the magazine the initial site will be very minimal to begin with...

Your right I could do a sketchup or skeleton of what the site could look like for feedback though, but busy with the magazine at the moment!

I've nearly got enought content for a first issue, still working on the cover art but have a basic layout/format sorted.

@ImaginaryHuman thank you that would be great!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed so far or has said they will!

If you have a game/application/utilty that you would like to let people know about then let me know!

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#20]
STOP PRESS - Last minute Exclusive...!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#21]
You could interview Brucey about the 64bit compiler addon he has almost finished.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#22]
Haw :-p

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#23]
*snickers*

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#24]
GaryV not quite but close ;o)