Myst

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Myst

Lukasha(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi.

We're going to make a Myst-like game ( style of Myst I ), as lots of people tried.
Currently we are modelling the different worlds, which will take
a huge amount of time, although they're all designed.
Though we won't start to write the code in the near future,
it would help us, if someone of you knew an engine/functions or just tips
to write games like that easier ( in BlitzMax ).

Feel free to answer to my e-mail:
Lukas_Hauprich@...

Thank you.

degac(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi
If I remember correctly, Myst was a mix of pre-rendered images and small quick-time video (or something like).
Technically speaking at the moment I don't know what BlitzMax can use to 'render' movie (or little animation).
And a game like that - generally - is quite 'wide' in term of MB of data to download (Myst was on one CD - one of the 'new' media of the time...)
Before starting to make tons of animations/backdrops and so on I suggest you to think better all the implications.

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#3]
Maybe it could be a job for Brucey's open frameworks module?

Cheers
Charlie

Lukasha(Posted 2009) [#4]
@degac
We don't want to render images or animation in BlitzMax. But yes, we're going to use
pre-rendered images and quicktime animation. We're using Blender for rendering, and
we only want to write the game itself in BlitzMax.

But thank you for your reply!!

Volker(Posted 2009) [#5]
Truevision3D 6.5 contains TVMedia,
".. a full featured multimedia library, designed to give you easy control over audio and video playback within your applications"
And there is a wrapper for it.
I don't know how it exactly fits your needings.
http://www.truevision3d.com/page-16-media-development-with-tvmedia
A version for testing is available. Windows only.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#6]
Technically speaking at the moment I don't know what BlitzMax can use to 'render' movie (or little animation).

Pantson's Theora mod can play video in blitzmax... Only downside is that it currently doesn't support built-in sound yet. There are converters for MPEG/AVI to Theora.

Lukasha(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thank you for your ideas so far. I'll try them out.
But keep on brainstorming!!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Oh -- there's also an MPEG module, but it's GPL which would mean that your application itself would also need to be released under the GPL if you choose to include it.