Fun with Fluids

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Fun with Fluids

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just having some fun with BlitzMax...

fluid_test_win32.zip (Win32 - 1.4meg)

Move the mouse around to see stuff.
Hold the mouse-button down to stop adding colour.

Escape to Quit.

Still needs work, but is very smooth on my Mac Mini.

Perturbatio(Posted 2009) [#2]
Works on Wine, looks good :)

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#3]
Smooth on Vista as well. Nice little demo!

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#4]
Fabulous! Where did this come from? Is this open frameworks as well?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nice. :)

Panno(Posted 2009) [#6]
looks cool

_JIM(Posted 2009) [#7]
That is so cooool! O.O

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Very nice -- surprisingly smooth. :-)

Brucey, just one question regarding the fmod dependency: You said at this point it's not possible to seperate it due to the reliance of some other parts of the framework importing it -- but would it be possible to have a 3rd party 'empty' fmodex.dll file that just exposes a bunch of empty functions, so the framework requirements are satisfied but you may not need to be bound to the fmod licensing restrictions?

Or does it actually *use* any of the fmod functionality, even if you forgo any of the sound commands in the framework?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#9]
Open Frameworks looking more and more interesting to my eyes :-D
Nice one !

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
There are a lot more options with the Fluid engine, but I haven't attached them yet - like viscocity, wrapping, and different rendering options.

just one question regarding the fmod dependency: You said at this point it's not possible to seperate it due to the reliance of some other parts of the framework importing it

I've just gone through the framework and abstracted FMOD out of the sound player - which was a bit of a pain in the ...
It means that, unless you want to use the sound player functionality, FMOD is no longer a requirement - and as such, nor is the DLL.
There are no other sound players (using different audio drivers), but in BlitzMax that is not such an issue - as it would be to openFrameworks users - since we have a big choice (and audio framework) already.
So I hope you're happy - because I *hate* coding in C++ :-p

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yay! :-)

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#12]
There are a lot more options with the Fluid engine

Please clarify- is this your own creation, or something we can all eventually have access to via a module?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
something we can all eventually have access to via a module.

plash(Posted 2009) [#14]
Awesome stuff!

byo(Posted 2009) [#15]
This is one of the most amazing visual things I've seen in a Blitzmax application. This framework opens doors to so many places.

As always, thank you for your hard work on all these amazing modules, Brucey.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#16]
What no screen shots/video?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#17]
What no screen shots/video?

Well, I did try pointing my webcam at the screen, and recording a sequence of it, but it didn't come out very well...

Jake L.(Posted 2009) [#18]
Impressive! Reminds me on Plasma Pong.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#19]
This really does look the mutt's nuts. It does make me wonder where you even find the time to *find* all these libraries, let alone wrap them. You, Sir, have discovered some voodoo to cram 36 hours into a day, and I am officially jealous.

Snixx(Posted 2009) [#20]
http://www.memo.tv/ofxmsafluid