Zune HD Development

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/Zune HD Development

Cartman(Posted 2009) [#1]
So Microsoft announced their new Zune HD yesterday. It should be coming out in the fall.

Since it seems that MS is looking to cash in on the Apple Ap Store success, they may be opening up development of games for the new Zune. With this in mind, this may be the time for us to look at creating a library for BlitzMax so that we can port our games to this platform. It may be an easier approach than trying to get on the iPhone and we would be getting into the market just when it begins to take off instead of trying to play catchup with the iPhone.

What do people think? I know this is early but if we plan now and get some support from Mark we might be able to get on this gravy train if it solidifies.

And let's please not start a war over which is a better device.

GW(Posted 2009) [#2]
Is there any mention of a zune sdk? I think it will be .Net only.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#3]
I think it will be .Net only.

It's long past time that BlitzMax jumped on the CLI bandwagon in any case. I'd be all over a BlitzMax .Net and I suspect a lot of others would too, even more so if it enabled Zune development.

GW(Posted 2009) [#4]
wasn't someone making a Bmax port for .net? I remember reading the worklogs..

Cartman(Posted 2009) [#5]
No mention of a Zune sdk yet, but I'm sure they will be looking to cash in on the App Store success so I expect they will have something before the end of year.

SpaceAce(Posted 2009) [#6]

t's long past time that BlitzMax jumped on the CLI bandwagon in any case. I'd be all over a BlitzMax .Net and I suspect a lot of others would too, even more so if it enabled Zune development.

That... That would be just swell.

SpaceAce

Matthew Smith(Posted 2009) [#7]
The last update to XNA (v3?) allows programmers to create games for current Zune hardware. As noted I would expect .Net to be the development language.

N(Posted 2009) [#8]
I'd be all over a BlitzMax .Net and I suspect a lot of others would too, even more so if it enabled Zune development
Would certainly be a nice alternative, I'd hope such a thing wouldn't just completely replace the native executables though, considering .NET really sucks when you use Mono (tons of complaints about it, but that's neither here nor there since I doubt the people for CLI would care about non-Windows users).

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#9]
Oh no, it certainly shouldn't replace native binaries. As you say, it should be an alternative.

EOF(Posted 2009) [#10]
They don't appear to be very ambitious with this device regards gaming. First, they say, "We want to be MAJOR players in the handheld games market"

From there on things just don't sound too promising:

"The device in going to be a US launch only"
“We don’t have any announcements about hardware for Europe at this point"

“Gaming is a big opportunity for us. We’re not announcing the specifics around our gaming plans for Zune HD right now"

Why not right now? They just don't seem that optimistic about it's gaming abilities
And, why no european release? I'm out

As a side note how come "Marketplace" does not 'fit' on the screen. Doh!

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#11]
Why not right now? They just don't seem that optimistic about it's gaming abilities

That seems a pretty bizarre conclusion to draw. I'm not about to announce the specifics of my game plans, but I don't see how that would give anyone cause to think I'm lacking optimism. Professionals and businesses don't release information now, now, now because it's fun, they do what makes the most business sense.