A little win32 testing please :-)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/A little win32 testing please :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
I wonder if some of you nice Windows folks could try this little app please : cc_win32_test.zip (480kb).
(Escape to quit)

It's running fine here on my virtual XP, but as always, it's better to see these things running on "proper" systems.

Thanks muchly :-)

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Works nicely here.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Cool.

There are two reasonably interesting facts with regards this test app :

1) It was built with GCC 4.3.0 - the current BlitzMax recommended version of MinGW (5.1.x) ships with GCC 3.4.5

2) It is a cross-compile build. The modules and executable were compiled in OS X - not Windows - using a modified version of bmk, amongst other things.

Anyhoo... nice to know it's possible. :-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#4]
works here too. (did post about 30 minutes ago, but my post seems to have gone AWOL....)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#5]
It is a cross-compile build.

Works perfectly -- impressive!

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#6]
Work great with XP SP3

Except I have the "Count =xx" flickering a bit (but I suppose it's normal) and a small disturbing dot is moving all around the fire emitter too.

Don't tell me you wrap some kind of Particles engines as I take weeks to build and setup mine lol !!

More than 200 Emitters and still no slow down.

Tell us your secret please :-)
I'm sure I already saw this particles somewhere... Is this Pyro ??

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#7]
By the way (I didn't see it was about cross-compiling sorry)
Do you think it would be possible to have something from Linux or Windows to get Mac OS Build ???

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#8]
very good, it works

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#9]
Works fine on my Windoze machines.

plash(Posted 2009) [#10]
It would be super awesome if we could do all platforms from Linux (including both processors for Mac) ;P

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
BTW, I hereby nominate Brucey for godhood status. Anybody second the nomination? James (BlitzSupport) has already agreed to fund the creation of the 40' tall bronze Brucey statue.

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
BTW, I hereby nominate Brucey for godhood status. Anybody second the nomination?
I support this nomination :D

Panno(Posted 2009) [#13]
works fine under my xp

TMK(Posted 2009) [#14]
Works great on my Windows Vista! :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#15]

James (BlitzSupport) has already agreed to fund the creation of the 40' tall bronze Brucey statue.

Ah, yes... though it might have to be a 40" statue... or, more realistically, 4"... possibly made out of wooden tea stirrers stolen from my real work (which I happen to know are 5.5"). However, I'm sure something can be arranged one way or another.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#16]
works fine on vista. So maybe the windows version of bmax could come with a compile for mac and linux button and vice versa? that would certainly be useful so I don't have to get some of my mac friends to compile my stuff every time I want a mac build... :p

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#17]
would it be possible to compile for mac from windows?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#18]
would it be possible to compile for mac from windows?

One can dream... Seems unlikely though, since the Blitzmax toolchain on the Mac depends on XCode, and there is no drop-in windows solution for that.

the PC version of blitzmax compiles using MinGW, and there *is* a Mac version of that available that Brucey is taking advantage of here.

Of course, I'd love to be shown wrong here. ;-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#19]
Well... back here on Earth.... :-p

Glad to hear it's working on the various Windows incarnations.

I've decided to roll back the giant leap to gcc 4.3, and return to 3.4.5 - which is what we are all using at the moment anyway. There are too many issues with some of my modules for now (in Windows with that GCC version).

Just been ironing out various niggly problems, but it's all looking pretty solid now.
I've even attacked the IDE, and added some new menus. (Obviously some work only when other things are enabled)

It's only Mac -> Win32.
It might be possible to do Mac -> Linux, but the latest version I've found for Linux is only gcc 4.1.1, which is a bit behind the times as far as Linux builds goes. That, and I don't know how it would work generally with all the third-party dev libraries you usually need)

For WIn32 -> Linux. Same potential issues as above.

For Linux -> Win32. I expect that is quite doable.

For Linux/Win32 -> Mac. I don't think this is currently possible. With the XCode links that xlsior alludes to.

However. Given that OS X is my primary platform, for me, this work is quite useful (both the Win32 cross-compile, and the ability to create Universal (PCC+x86) builds).

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#20]
These flames will make a nice spectrum analyzer for PRP. (j/k) ;o)

Working fine here as well!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#21]
By the way, works here on vista64 as well.

Very nice fire effect, by the way -- I don't suppose you'd want to stick that one in the code archives? :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#22]
Alas, it's not mine... see post #6 for hint.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#23]
I never understood why mac wasn't as open about the way their os works.. it prevents a lot of innovation and progress and makes it seem so mysterious. Maybe if there was an os that was consistent with backward compatibility like mac is and as fast, flexible, and open as windows then everything would be so much simpler when it came to programming stuff that everyone could run

I guess you people back on earth never think of these things :o)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#24]
I never understood why mac wasn't as open about the way their os works

Actually, it's quite a lot more open than Windows, given that the Darwin kernel (the actual OS on which sits the pretty graphical interface) is open-source. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system) )

I suppose the mysteriousness comes from its Unix 3 certification ;-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#25]
Here's one more : cc_win32_test2.zip (318kb).
(Escape to quit)

This one was built entirely on Linux, using a modified Linux MaxIDE, with build options set to :
* Quick
* GUI
* Target Platform - Windows

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#26]
Nice - works well here. Happy to trial this on my ubuntu vm if you like. (And let me know your compiler options and I might add to CE IDE menus for fun...)

degac(Posted 2009) [#27]
test2 works perfectly

Otus(Posted 2009) [#28]
Both work here on WinXP. It'd be cool if we get to try this out soon too.

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#29]
Works a treat here on 64bit Vista too. :)

Grisu(Posted 2009) [#30]
Works!

plash(Posted 2009) [#31]
'Test2' works just as well as the first one :D

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#32]
Works great, Brucey!

puki, you better grab the oil and lube yourself up. You have a job to do for Brucey ;)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#33]
So Brucey, how does the final exe compare with one actually compiled on a Windows box? Do they come out exactly the same?

Matthew Smith(Posted 2009) [#34]
Worked fine on Seven RC 32-bit. Amazing once again Brucey!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#35]
Test2 works perfectly on Vista64 for me.

THe only odd thing was that the zip file also contained a _MACOSX file and an _MACOSX folder with a .cc_win32_test.exe inside of it... But the main demo file itself worked.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#36]
The only odd thing...

Oh. I zipped it up on the Mac (since I have all my sessions running on the same screen at the same time - Mac/Windows (Parallels)/Linux (nxclient) ).

Do they come out exactly the same?

I haven't actually checked that yet :-)
I was more concerned that everything worked to begin with - but now we know that seems to be case, I'll have to start paying more attention.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#37]
Would be mighty amusing if we found the non-win32 compiled version were in some way "better" than the win32 version. bcc shouldn't be any different, but I guess mingw might be, although that too should in theory only be down to using differing versions of mingw...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#38]
For general info, I have the cross-compiler installed in my ubuntu vm and have successfully compiled some (very basic) test apps in Ubunut and run in WinXP. Only problem so far is that win32maxgui apps won't link as they need unicows...so off to investigate that now...

Nice one Brucey!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#39]
Oh... you need the libunicows.a file which is present in the Windows BlitzMax/lib folder.
(I guess that needs to be added to the list of requirements)

have successfully compiled some (very basic) test apps

Good news :-)

Mail me with details of any issues you had following the docs, etc... Ta !

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#40]
Mail sent earlier, hardly any problems really - and I did try moving the unicows.a file (and the others to be safe) to no avail. I am taking a stab in the dark that the linking process is only looking in some "standard" Unix directories for static linked libs, and not the BlitzMax\lib folder itself? (I say this as the Linux BlitzMax install has an empty lib folder...)