SUPERSTICT vs STRICT - Optimum code differences?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/SUPERSTICT vs STRICT - Optimum code differences?

EOF(Posted 2009) [#1]
Does SuperStrict create 'better' optimized code than the same code compiled under Strict? Or, is it simply a case of Superstrict ensuring that you "dot the I's and cross the T's"?

The reason I ask is, the main BRL code seems to be entirely STRICT based. Would Superstricting the source make a jot of a difference in terms of memory management, optimizations, or speed?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
As I understand it, it doesn't make any difference to how the code compiles - the options are there simply to eradicate sloppy coding.

I'm not sure what the difference is between Strict and SuperStrict either. I always use Strict.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
From what I could tell, the only difference I've encountered between Strict and SuperStrict is that in SuperStrict mode, if you define a function and you don't specify that it has a return type, but you try to use Return with a parameter, it will tell you you haven't specified a specific return type in the function declaration. Also vice versa, if you define a function that returns a specific type of data, any calls to Return within the function that include a parameter must pass back something of the same type you declared.

This is okay:
Function MyFunction:Float()
   Return
End Function

Function MyFunction2:Float()
   Return RndFloat()
End Function

Function MyFunction3()
   Return
End Function

but this is not okay:
Function MyFunction()
   Return RndFloat()
End Function

Function MyFunction2:Float()
   Return Rand(0,5)
End Function

Both Strict and SuperStrict are there to help with writing the source code and avoiding bugs - ie Strict makes sure you declare your variables before you use them so that you don't accidentally create new ones on the fly when you have a typo. SuperStrict goes the extra step of requiring function return types to be correct.

As far as I know, neither affects the final executable, but they may help compile the code faster.

Jur(Posted 2009) [#4]
In strict you don`t have to declare data type for integers - everything which is declared without data type is automatically integer. The same goes for function return value data type, if none is specified than it is integer.
I don`t know if there are other differences but this one should not affect code optimization (according to logic, but I never heard Mark saying that).

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2009) [#5]
I think one of them (Strict I think) does mean that the compiler can make some basic optimisations.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#6]
The only significant difference between them for me is compile time. some of my apps used to take up to a minute to compile but when someone on the forums finally was more hard headed than me and convinced me to try super strict out, my compile time is now 5-10 seconds for even the longest programs. Also my code is not sloppy anymore so it helps with that.

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#7]
SuperStrict for the win.

N(Posted 2009) [#8]
Far as I know, there's no speed/build time difference between Strict/SuperStrict, but I haven't made a point of testing it. The only time I use SuperStrict instead of Strict these days is when I'm working on one of my hundreds of test-*.bmx files (~/ is getting cluttered..).

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
I don't think SuperStrict speeds anything up, but it surely makes code A LOT easier to go through.
I really wish Mark wrote all the modules in SuperStrict, but alas he did not.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#10]
Strict forces you to declare variables/functions/methods as Local or Global, but does the default-to-Int thing, eg.

a = 20 ' Bad
Local a = 20 ' Fine -- default to Int
Local a:Float = 20.0 ' Fine -- Float

SuperStrict forces you to also declare the type, eg.

a = 20 ' Bad
Local a = 20 ' Bad
Local a:Int = 20 ' Fine

The docs do seem to have disappeared, though!