New BLIde Plus 00.09.82-A avaiable

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/New BLIde Plus 00.09.82-A avaiable

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#1]
New BLIde Plus version available to BLIde Plus users.
New BLIde version 00.09.82-a changelog:

•Fixed a very important stability issue that could make BLIde mangle your source code files. This bug was introduced by a stability issue on BLIde 00.09.81-A, becouse of BLIde misunderstanding the the file encoding for files without a property byte-order mark. BLIde now assumes a page-code based ANSI encoding.

•Fixed a refreshing issue on the BuildAs combo box of code files.

New BLIde version 00.09.81-a changelog:

•Fixed an encoding compatibility issue with latest MaxIDE on windows. BLIde will now use UTF-7 instead of Unicode as the default text encoding when loading files with special characters and no byte-order mark, as this is how MaxIDE saves files cotaining special characters on Max 1.33 --> This is not true, and has been fixed on 00.09.82

•Fixed an issue that was treating the null char as a string terminator when sending data to the Console Output window from a running file.

•Fixed an issue on the serialization of the compiler options when an unmanaged solution was stored on disk. BLIde could be on a inconsistent state after reading a wrong serialization of a unmanaged solution.

•Fixed an issue that was making BLIde unable to refresh its plugins when they were already running.

•Fixed an issue that was making BLIde unable to run 2 or more instances in a clean way.

•Fixed a "Document not found" unhandled exceptio when a BLIde user was building a BlPi file and the apropiate SDK package was not installed.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#2]
For obvious reasons, updating is MORE than advised.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi Ziggy

The new upload process work great !
Hope I didn't get touched by the stability issue (don't think so... but it was just when I used linux MAxIDE).

Thanks for the support

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the feedback!
If you updated to latest current version, you're safe. This issue was quickly fixed. :D

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hi Ziggy

Did you find the issue with "Embed a IncBin Resource..." in the Manager Solution Explorer ?
Sometime I exclude Resources but they are still virtually present in "my.Resources.data.img." while the new one are missing.
I need to reload My Solution in order to update the Resources Incbin "my" container list.

Although They are correctly updated in the Solution Explorer !
Also : I often add 2 or more resources at time but Always add them with the contextual mouse menu (Embed a IncBin Resource...) directly over the folder (data/img).
I think it's only an updating problem because if I write myself the resource alias (like for example : my.Resources.data.img.roundTarget_png) I can access to that "missing" resource.

If anybody else had this issue please tell me because I'm using the same solution since nearly a year now and wondering if creating a fresh new one would resolve some of these glitch.

Thanks

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#6]
I'm still looking at it, as I want this to be included on the next BLIde update (among another issue). I *think* it ca be something related to the internal database BLIde cache not behaving properly. If you can descrive a detailed step-by-step on how to reproduce this issue, it'll be very very helpfull. :D I hope to have an update available for everybody in some days.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#7]
@Armitage 1982: I've been trying to replicate the issue you describe without success. It'll be fixed in further BLIde versions as soon as I can find a way to replicate and fix it. If you can provide any additional information, it¡ll be very appreciated becouse I supose we're doing things in a different way!
Thanks!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#8]
New BLIde Plus 00.09.84-A update available
[*] Fixed a minor stability issue that was making BLIde display an Out-of-memory message sometimes when saving a BLIde solution as the result of closing BLIde.
[*] Organized and improved the BLIde Properties dialog.
[*] New feature that integrates autocompletion for quotes, parenthesis, etc.
[*] New customizable option to disable new autocompletion options (by default they are enabled).
[*] Improved support for several unicode formats with automatic conversion for the max compiler
[*] Fixed the singleton type template on the BLIde distro.
IMPORTANT: BLIde update won't modify your templates. If you want BLIde to install the new (fixed) templates, delete the Templates folder from inside the BLIde Framework folder, in your "My Documents" folder.
[*] Fixed an issue that could make the BLIde menu toolbar desapear when making some speciffic toolbar movements/docking and undocking operations.
[*] Fixed an issue that could affect the docking engine when the BLIde main window was moved from a screen to another screen with an automated shortcut on some NVidia utilities.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#9]
Ziggy is there any chance that you could include a few more skin choice selections?

Jason.

byo(Posted 2009) [#10]
Ziggy: a sugestion. A recent list menu item for the single BMX files without a solution.

A possible bug: Sometimes I close a solution and close BLIde but that solution loads the next time. I found that ir's still there in the Windows registry.

Keep up the good work. :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#11]
@byo: Be sure not to have the start-up mode: "Reopen application and tabs" in the BLIde preferences dialog. with this enabled, BLIde will always reopen latest solution when it is launched.

byo(Posted 2009) [#12]
@ziggy: that option is really nice but even when I closed all solutions the last one is still opening. Wouldn't it be better if BLIde could load the last tabs which have remained open instead of the closed ones? Just a sugestion. :)

If the user closes BLIde with no solutions or tabs opened, next time don't open anything. If the user closes BLIde while there are still opened tabs then open them the next time.

Anyway the joy of programming with Blitzmax is greatly enhanced by your IDE and I couldn't see myself programming any other way right now.

Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just a quick feature request. Would it be possible to add an option which allows the methods etc to be alphabetically sorted in the dropdown list?

So you'd have something like:
Field > Image
Field > X
Field > Y
Method > Banana
Method > Hello
Method > iLikeGiraffes
...and so on

Currently, I'm working on a really large project and its taking me more time than I'm happy with to find functions etc in the list, as they're listed in the order in which they appear in the code.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#14]
@Gfk: Yes. I'll do this for the next update -hope the next, unless I find anything unexpected during the development-. How could I miss this one??!! Thanks, great idea.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#15]
Has anyone had any problems with this one with regard to Anti-Virus products?

Especially Norton and blocking of 'Screen Capture' features?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#16]
@Merx: Feel free to send the setup to the Norton AV services in order for them no analyze it and grant it is safe. and if you do it, please, it would be very appreciated if you could tell what information you get from them. As I'm not a Nornton AV license holder, I can't send it myself.

Jake L.(Posted 2009) [#17]
Thanks! The upgrade process works well. Maybe yout want to show a changelog/version-info during/after update in the future.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#18]
@Jake L.: You can click on the More info... button on the update dialog, to get the change log

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#19]
@Ziggy Got a clean install no AV problems, but about 5 errors trying to run command lines with csc?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#20]
That's a .net cache issue when an update is performed in some machines. This should not happen any more after a BLIde restart.But it may happen again on the next update, at first run. That means the JIT is storing some pre-compiled binaries of BLIde and not noticing they're being updated. When this csc error happens, .net resets the cache for this app, so after a restart of the executable, it should all be fine. I'm trying to avoid this .net behaviour but I've found no documentation on how to arrange it. Just a minor issue, but not very nice looking...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#21]
Hi Ziggy
Thanks for this new update :)

In regard to the new templates, since I did not create any of these at the moment, I have no templates folder whatsoever in "my documents/BLIde Framework".
But I do have removed the one present in the Blide installation folder (and get the new fixed singleton type that I often use).

Great fix about the docking panels :)

I'm not sure à 100% but I think Blide don't save the established Icon in the Publisher Settings (Need to reset it after each update).

Hum, Also My Todo List has completely disappear since the last update (but I'm on a laptop at the moment and not on my dev. desktop pc, don't remember if this is normaly saved on the solution but "I think it is").

Will report more if needer ;)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#22]
Oh yeah !

Would it be possible to add a "Text Style" to recognise Field used inside the current method Type ?

No more Closing error on my side for the moment :)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#23]
@Armitage 1982: If you have deleted the a folder from the BLIde installation folder... please... repair your installation! (download the installer from the customer's BLIde website section and install it) becouse you've broken your BLIde installation and I imagine you can make BLIde crash easilly (whenever it has to enable the templates engine). If you don't have a templates folder on the BLIde framework, don't worry, it'll be automaticall created if ever needed.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#24]
To be more precise I did not remove the folder but only the old Singleton class, so I didn't break my Blide install in any way ;)
But thanks for the support.
Unfortunately Didn't had the chance to use it a lot these day.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#25]
I downloaded blide for the first time, when i build modules it tries to rebuild all modules starting with blitz.c

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#26]
You can select the actual modules to build in the advanced module builder but if it's a new module you might have to do a Refresh Module Database first.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#27]
you have to pay to use the advanced module builder, he he

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#28]
I don't know how it is in other IDE but autocompletion about parenthesis is very disturbing when writing formulas.
I'd like to keep that option on for methods or functions but would it be possible to prevent this when you are already inside a parenthesis ?
Try to write that kind of line for ex. :
Vec2(Pos.v.X() - Sin(ang) * (isy + iR), Pos.v.Y() - Cos(ang) * (isy + iR))

Or should I consider to uncheck this feature ?
I know these parenthesis are useless but it's for a clearer view purpose only.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#29]
@Armitage1982: You can disable it on the preferences dialog. Maybe it could be customizable, so you can have this feature for " " but not for ( ). Do you thinkg it may be better this way? Do you thing this may be disabled by default?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#30]
I was used to write parenthesis myself so it's no problem.
I'm willing to adapt myself if it's speeding up code writing but currently I'm more pressing delete key than the ) key.

Separated Autocompletion syntax is a good idea, I would probably disable parenthesis for the moment.
Where this feature for parenthesis is probably useful is on creating methods and functions or when using methods or functions "parameters free".

Hope this help.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#31]
Ziggy,

If I have Startup Mode: Welcome Window enabled, then when I close my solution, I would like the Welcome Window to reappear.

This is a fairly intrusive behavior though, so it should be something that other users agree on, or maybe a separate option.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#32]
New version 00.09.86-a available.
This is the changelog
[*] Fixed a minor stability issue that was making some GDI+ items on the text rendering engine to not be collected fast enough by the GC. This bug could potentially cause some false Out of memory messages.

[*] Improved the symbols autocompletion algorithm

[*] Fixed an issue that was making blide parse worng function pointers on fields of types, when the pointed function was VOID. This issue was only affecting intelliprompt in some very rare situations.

[*] Some improvements to the intelliprompt AST parser.

[*] Improved support for several unicode formats with automatic conversion for the max compiler

[*] Several improvements on the Advanced module builder. It now shows a tree structure and has a threaded building system, so you can let the builder working on the background, and continue coding meanwhile.

[*] Fixed a small serialization issue on unmanaged solutions, that could cause the blideUS file to be sorted diferently after a save operation, making the resulting file very SVN unfriendly.

[*] Internal TextRendering engine updated to QWhale 1.54.3436 revision due some compatibilities with Win7 RC1

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#33]
Hi Ziggy

Thanks for this update.
Nice new Advanced Module Builder :)

Is this version still storing the #Region &HAF Imports files in the main bmx project as an absolute path ?
(like Import "C:\BlitzMax\Projects\Metagolf\bmx\EaseEquations.c")

Cause obviously this causing problem when compiling in other platform and must be manually modified.

Ps: I found that Blide is loading much faster now !?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#34]
@Armitage: Yes BLIde is a bit faster now, depending on your platform, it may be more notorious.
The absolute path to imports is happening becouse the imported file is not in a subfolder of its parent importer. When a file is placed inside a parent subfolder, a relative path is created. Otherwise the path is absolute. I'm working on improving this, and hope to have a more clever solution for the next update.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#35]
Excellent news :)

Now I have put my CPP file in a CPP folder and the path is now local.
Import ".\cpp\EaseEquations.c"

Ps : I suppose that .\ won't make any differences (because include and incbin do "data\img\cube.png").

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#36]
yes, it should work ok also.

hub(Posted 2009) [#37]
Thanks for the update ziggy.

Is there a way to quickly access to the lastest singles bmx opened files from the menus ? Option like 'recents bmx files' (the same that 'recent solution', or 'open a recent project but for single bmx files).

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#38]
@hub: this functinoality is not available. It'll be done soon.

Kistjes(Posted 2009) [#39]
And again, great work, Ziggy!

Is there a way to quickly access to the lastest singles bmx opened files from the menus ?

A 'New Module' and 'Open Module' option in the file menu would be great, too.
'New Module' would create a bmx file with the common known module header lines.
'Open Module' would open a file browser already focussed on the BlitzMax module folder.

Other things on my wish list:
When creating a new solution, please make the default option "Managed" instead of "More info..."

And in the solution properties 'Strict' is the default compiler option, while 'SuperStrict' is rightfully recommended. Why not make 'SuperStrict' the default?
Just a few minor suggestions.

Greetz from a happy BLIde user ;D

therevills(Posted 2009) [#40]
Hi Ziggy,

Just got around to installing BLide Free on Windows 7 (64-bit)...

To to let you know it looks like there are a couple of issues.

1. Path seems messed up.

My game is in:

C:\Programming\Framework\The Munchies

But when I try to access fullaccess.cpp in:

C:\Programming\Framework\The Munchies\include

using Import "./include/fullaccess.cpp", I get the following error:

Compile Error: File 'C:/Programming/Framework/The Munchies/The Munchies/include/fullaccess.cpp' not found

If I run this in the MaxIDE it works fine...

2. The picklist display sometimes gets messed up:

Cheers!

Chalky(Posted 2009) [#41]
I don't think you need the "./" at the beginning of the path - does Import "include/fullaccess.cpp" cause the same error?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#42]
@therevills: The error you're getting is being notified by the BMK utility -not BLIde- so it seems you're not compiling exactly the same code on maxIDE and on BLIde, otherwise you would get exact results.
In the other hand, the visualization issues on the drop down list, does it happens also in the dropdown list next to this one? And additionally, does it happens always or when you use the scroll bar (that is to say, when redrawing). It seems that the backbuffer is not being cleared on the control draw operation, but it should! I'll investigate to ensure it is not a Win7 bug instead of a BLIde one, as I have also a win7 RC1 installed in my labtop. Additionally, could you tell me wich blide version you're using? --> I see in the screenshot it is BLIde Free Edition.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#43]
Just did some more testing...

If I just load up the single BlitzMax file into BLide and it works fine... yet if I load up the project via the BLideUS file I get the error.

With the picklists (it does happen in both), it only happens when I scroll...

[Edit1]
BTW I just bought BLide :) The download version on your ShareIt page is 00.09.58B and on your BLide site I think the latest one is 00.09.82-a (and the free one was blide-free-00-09-77), maybe you could update your ShareIt download... looking forward to getting my username/password for the updates :)

[Edit2]
Ive just created a new unmanaged solution (since this is an older version it doesnt support BLideUS) in BlidePlus and it now compiles fine... but the picklists still get messed up when I scroll

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#44]
@therevills: I can't reproduce the combo dropdown list issue here, on bot Vista and Windows 7 32 bits. Do you scroll it using the mouse wheel or moving the scroll bar? do you have areo on? Please, as soon as you install latest Plus version, could you confirm it's still happening? and if so, a file or something that reproduces the issue? thanks, and welcome!

therevills(Posted 2009) [#45]
Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for the account details. I have downloaded the latest version of BLidePlus.

I was using the scroll bars and using Aero. If I use the mouse wheel the combos are fine, but if I use the scroll bars I get the messed up text.

If I disable Aero, the combos are fine too (using both the scroll bars and mouse wheel).

Ive just realised what was happening in the code issue, when I created an unmanaged project I didnt know that it created a folder for the project, thats why it had two Munchies folders! Doh!!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#46]
If I disable Aero, the combos are fine too
It seems like a win7 issue to me. My installation of Win7 is not reproducing it, I've checked the dropdown list drawing code, and the backbuffer is properly cleared at every redraw operation, so it should not display this way. I'll add an additional security background drawing to next update, hoping that it fixes it for you.
when I created an unmanaged project I didnt know that it created a folder for the project

Yes, it creates a folder to make it easier to bring the whole project from one computer to another. Most IDEs do it this way :D

therevills(Posted 2009) [#47]
Yes, it creates a folder to make it easier to bring the whole project from one computer to another. Most IDEs do it this way :D

This is good of new projects, but I like the old way for importing current/old projects...

Is there a preference I can select, which enables wrapping on the search options? (eg it starts from the cursor and goes down, but then it starts from the top of the file)

Also could we have it when you select a variable it hightlights all instances of the variable?

Thanks!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#48]
Is there a preference I can select, which enables wrapping on the search options?
What do you mean? you can expand the options in the search dialog to set them as you please.

Also could we have it when you select a variable it hightlights all instances of the variable?
this can't be done without refactoring, and BLIde does not have refactoring (yet). Imagine an scenario where several types have a field named Position. It would have to be clever enought to highlite only the field "Position" of the current class and also derived classes that have not overloaded this field, and diferenciate this from non-related classes... Everything at runtime... I hope you can imagine how complex this analysis is. this is something I'm working on, but don't expect to see it on a near future as it needs a complete rewrite of the AST system, wich is something very complex and very low-level in the BLIde internal API. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, just not yet.

therevills(Posted 2009) [#49]
What do you mean? you can expand the options in the search dialog to set them as you please.

Yes, but it would be useful instead of just search down or up that it would wrap around the file again.
I think that you have recently changed it to be always set to search from Cursor instead of the Entire Scope... is there an option to always set it to Entire Scope?

this can't be done without refactoring

Maybe not the variables, just words. For example if you select the word "Local" by double clicking BLide would hightlight all instances of that word. Have you seen Notepad++, its something like how that works:

You see the darker green highlighted text, thats the one I've selected and Notepad++ has found all the other instances of it. I think this would be a great feature in BLide.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#50]
I'll take a look to see if this could be added easilly (I don't think it should be much complicated)

therevills(Posted 2009) [#51]
I'll take a look to see if this could be added easilly (I don't think it should be much complicated)

That would be great! I find this feature very useful in tools like Notepad++, PLSQL Developer and Eclipse (although in Eclipse its more complex).

Any thoughts on the Search function?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#52]
Any thoughts on the Search function?

Yes, the whole search engine is going to be redesigned so there will not be any more a "Search" inside the file, and a separete "Search" in all files. but this will come a bit later.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#53]
Hi people!
New BLIde version 00-09-87-A is available.

This is a brief changelog:
[*] Fixed an issue with the managed solution explorer, that was making BLIde unable to handle properly incbined media.

[*] Improved the way BLIde handles included files on managed solutions. Now BLIde will store relative paths whenever possible.

[*] Fixed several issues with the BLIde debugger. It has been changed in many ways. More info here .

[*] Several improvements on the internal BLIde text renderer. Now it can make word-cuztomized hilighting (a la untraedit).

[*] BLIde Layout has been revised, and improved in many ways. It is now more 'proprotional' and looks better

[*] Several optimizations to make BLIde smaller, so it is also faster at the JIT process.

[*] BLIde default value for 'enable system themes' on the Publisher is now 'enabled'

[*] BLIde default value for compression level on the publisher is now 'medium'

[*] BLIde default solution layout has been changed, and the console is now outside the tabbed documents container.

[*] Fixed a bug on the internal BLIde debug, that could make a secondary thread enter a infinite loop, when requesting an object dump to the application being debuged and the BlitzMax debuger was not providing a valid answer.

[*] Removed the helpful hints panel from the BLIde main window. Those hints are now displayed on the welcome page.

[*] Some fixes on the internal BLIde instellisense parser.

[*] Added a window that displays the debug information being sent to BLIde by the application being debugged

[*] Status bar has been unified to all documents being edited or webpages being shown inside the html/help document tab

[*] The option to disable the autolearning engine has been removed as BLIde is now fast enough to handle autolearn properly on all situations

As always, to update, just check for updates from the BLIde HELP menu.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#54]
I have a question.

I paid for a BLIde licence with 6 months of updates. If I need to reinstall my PC at any point after that, will I still be able to get the latest version that was available before my entitlement to updates ended?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#55]
Incredible !
With this version, blide's looking complete like never before :)

Thanks for the requested fix.
Very nice ;)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#56]
@Gfk: I keep some of the setups (not all of them) so if that happens, and you've lost your blide setup, tell me and I'll send you the nearest update to your updates expiration day. Anyway, I would recommend everybody to keep a copy of the setups, just imagine I lose my backups! (It's difficult as I'm very careful on this, but you know...)

@Armitage 1982: Thanks! That's very encouraging :D

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#57]
Luckily you have remote backups right? :-).

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#58]
@Htbaa: yes, I have remote backups, additional backups on my laptop, and also some backups on my skydrive. Anyway, better to keep a copy of any piece of software you purchase just in case!

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#59]
I always do! Can't live without backups :-).

GfK(Posted 2009) [#60]
I would recommend everybody to keep a copy of the setups, just imagine I lose my backups!
I used to, but I hadn't bothered since BLIde was updated to download and install updates by itself.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#61]
Reporting : Incbin data fix working

Quick question : What was autolearning exactly again ??

Thanks

AlexO(Posted 2009) [#62]
Heya ziggy,
do you have an rss feed for your blide ide blog?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#63]
@Armitage 1982: Autolearning is the process that BLIde takes in the backgound to build its internal data-base at realtime, while you're coding. In older versions, where this process was requering much more CPU than on current one, there was a button to disable this on BLIde. Now, being everything properly distributed on low priority threads, this button had no sense, so I removed it to keep the IDE as simple as possible.

@AlexO: Yes! I've got a RSS feed in the BLIde IDE development blog. It was not shown in the page, this is the feed url: http://blideide.wordpress.com/feed/ Anyway, I've added it to the blog menu. thanks for letting me know it was missing!

GfK(Posted 2009) [#64]
You should register www.pimpmyblide.com

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#65]
Lol I like that! ;-)

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#66]
@Gfk: should I ask what does it mean? :P

GfK(Posted 2009) [#67]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimp_my_ride

:D

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#68]
ah ok! that's funny hehehe. We here call it tuning :)

H&K(Posted 2009) [#69]
Hi,

Long time since I asked for this, but maybe you have the knowlage/ability to fix it.

Could you please change the way tab desides how much one "Chr" space is.

To refresh your memory in the original Blide builds a tab at 6 chr spaces would be 6*width of space. So if space was 10 pixels wide, you would get a tab at 60,120,180 etc pixels.
Then when you changed to the new engine/edit package, the nature of tab changed, since then it hasnt tabed to the absolute width of space, but has counted how many chrs have gone b4, then added space widths to make a mltiple of the requested tab.
So if I have "WW" in a non mono font and the w is (for example) 15 pixels wide, then the first tab is at 15*2+10*4 (70) pixels in
whereas if I have "ii" and the i is (for example) 5 pixels wide, the the tab is at 5*2+10*4 (50) pixels in

I know its a thing of minor importance, but please have you a better idea now how to fix it.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#70]
@H&K: If you want to keep tabbing aligned in the middle of text, you will need a monospace font, that's something I will not change in the inmediate future, as it would mean a rewrite of lots of areas of the text renderer and it is a bit unviable. I'm sorry for this, but It would mean a rewrite of all the spacing on the text rendering and also, the addition of several calculations that would make the rendering slowlier.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#71]
I have never considered a non foxed width font as my programming font. It is nice to have everything line up.

H&K(Posted 2009) [#72]
lol.

Thats the point Task, in the original Blide builds it DID all line up evenwith a non fixed width font. Because the Tab was based on ONLY the width of the space. Whereas now its based on the width of the preceding letters.

@ Ziggy, ok lots of work aint gonna happen etc.
I know this is the same question, BUT every other IDE/ WP seems to accept that a tab is a fixed number of pixels, yet Blide seems to recaluclate the tab each tab. Im gonna take you word that its harder to do the other way, but it seems to me moveing to a multiple of 32 pixels (say) is easyer than calculating the width of up to 5 chrs (if tab 6) and adding the space width

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#73]
Sure, but it isn't just the tabs that line up. Many more things line up nicely when you use a fixed width font.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#74]
Im gonna take you word that its harder to do the other way, but it seems to me moveing to a multiple of 32 pixels (say) is easyer than calculating the width of up to 5 chrs (if tab 6) and adding the space width

It's harder becouse you have to calculate and round the offset of the previous text, that implies a calculation per letter of the width, wich is slower than a single extrapolation. And it is harder becouse it affects quite a lot of things on the BLIde internals I would preffer not to change. Is there a reason not to use a monospace font for coding? there are very nice ones like the consolas or all this fonts

H&K(Posted 2009) [#75]
It's harder becouse you have to calculate and round the offset of the previous text
I dissagree, the tabs would be at absolute position, (that is they are not 6 space from the end of the text, but rather a multiple of 6 space from the begining of the line). The calculations need to be done once when the tab width is set, and are then valid for every line of the source. Whereas atm Blide needs to calculate the tabs position for each tab, based on the chrs b4 it.

Is there a reason not to use a monospace font for coding?
Not at all, since Blide stopped doing the tabs the way all other IDEs do it (about two years ago), Ive been using anonymous. Its just Id like to use a different one, which isnt mono. And when the change happened you said you didnt know how to do the tabs the other way, which is a fair enough reason and why I havent bothered you that much about it.

Whereas now you are saying that it would simply be a lot more calculations, which leads me to think that you have missunderstood the request, because as said above an absolute tab would always be at (for example) 30,60,90,120 pixels (tab 6)
(int (Cursor_pos/30)+1)*30 or TabPos[int (cursor_pos/30)+1]
atm
Cursor_pos+(6-(Chr_number mod 6))*5

Dont get me wrong, Blide makes BMax usable, and I am definatly going to continue supporting it, its just that because it used to do tabs the other way its more annoying than if it had always been this way.

@Task, depends on how much you use tab really

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#76]
&H&K:
Whereas now you are saying that it would simply be a lot more calculations, which leads me to think that you have missunderstood the request, because as said above an absolute tab would always be at (for example) 30,60,90,120 pixels (tab 6)
(int (Cursor_pos/30)+1)*30 or TabPos[int (cursor_pos/30)+1]
Unless you want to ensure you're not overwriting previous text in the same line. that's the additional calculation! also this would affect al the 'wordatpos' api, the mouseover-word calculations etc etc.

don't get me wrong, I agree it would be nice to have this sorted somehow. The thing is that I think it is not proportional. The amount of work involved in comparison to the rather small beneffit, I think I should better focus development on other areas at this moment. I will take a look to it in the future, but I can't ensure when, and this change would mean a new big beta-testing phase of months with the additional corrections and fixes.

Xaron(Posted 2009) [#77]
I don't know if this was asked before but is there a way to replace tabs with spaces? I mean the tabsize to format the code. Almost every IDE has this feature and I don't like it to have different results in every IDE or viewer because of different tab sizes. Using spaces instead of tabs would solve that. Thanks!

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#78]
Yes, you can define the tab size (default to 4 spaces) on the preferences dialog of BLIde.

This thread refers to an old version of BLIde. Current BLIde thread is this one .

Xaron(Posted 2009) [#79]
Thanks ziggy, but I did not mean the tab size itself but the replacement of a tab with spaces. So if you have a tab size of 4 it should be possible to replace it with 4 spaces. That way the source looks always identically no matter which IDE is in use. But this is only a minor issue. ;)

Muttley(Posted 2009) [#80]
@Xaron: A million-and-one source code format wars say this isn't minor. ;)

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#81]
@Muttley: I was involved in such wars when I was younger. Now I never engage in such energy/time-wasting activity. Generally I just try to write source somewhat similar to how the lib-authors wrote it, and if someone complains I tell them: "Use a code-beautifier and render the code however you want to look at it."

Just a tip on how to not waste time with the less-productive-but-more-talkative members of a team :-)

Xaron(Posted 2009) [#82]
Mahan, even if you work in a team it's important to have similar coding style guides. This might not be an issue for Blitzmax as there are not that many IDEs for it but it's a real issue in other languages. And it can become really funny if you start mixing spaces and tabs, believe me...

That's the reason there should be an option to replace tabs with spaces.

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#83]
@Xaron:

... even if you work in a team it's important to have similar coding style guides.

This is a subjective claim. Especially when you mention "spaces and tabs" further down.

Besides there are solutions to these perceived problems:

In one project where I participated as a developer we simply added a code beautifier into the build servers build-script so it automatically "re-beautified" all code that was submitted to the code revision repository.

My main point was about time and energy wasting though. I've been participating in quite a few projects both as lead programmer and also as a developer, and I would never accept any arguments or wars over spaces or tabs. At the times I was the lead dev, when consultants joined the project and they asked for the code standards I simply said: Look at the language manufacturers lib-code. Follow that, and you'll be fine.

If the company or organization that has ordered the development want some kind of standardized documentation (like JavaDoc etc.) it's a simple matter of passing the instruction to all devs.

Short version: In my world wars over code format is pure time-waste and a sign of poor leadership in a project. I tend to always try to be pragmatic :-)

edit: spelling

edit: The time in the distant past when I was in a code-style war, that I referred to in the earlier post, was when I was 17 years old on my first job, and the (imbecile) argument was over 2 or 3 spaces indent. I'm ashamed of this and it will not happen to me again :-)

Xaron(Posted 2009) [#84]
Well if I need a tool to "rebeautify" code then something went really wrong. I don't see it as "code format war" I just might want to use different editors (which can use different tab sizes) and therefor I'd love to see that feature to replace tabs with spaces.

You can define what you want as soon as someone mixes (unintentionally) spaces with tabs another one might get problems. To be honest I come more from the C++ section where a lot of different editors out there might make this problem more a problem than here for BMax.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#85]
I guess it depends on how you view it being a problem.

There is a problem with using spaces instead of tabs. If you use spaces, then everybody else is stuck using your idea of indentation. I like my tabs pacing set to 1 space. I hate huge indentations that push blocks of code halfway across the screen (or more).

But, you might like 4 spaces for your indentations. When you open one of my source files, you are going to get 1 space indentations and be hard to read for you, and when I open your file I am going to get 4 space indentation and I am going to hate it.

But, if tabs are used, everybody will see what they expect when they open the file, no matter who wrote it.

Tabs make sense, you just have to make sure you actually use them.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#86]
Woop - *purchase* Another 6 months of updates :)

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#87]
Small issue with altering editor font.

I get a message box saying certain fonts don't support regular style. That's all fine, except it does that for every single window open (I get around 12-15 message boxes of that message).

Can you maybe have blide do a check on the fonts prior to the loop where it attempts to set the font in each window?

Time

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#88]
@Retimer: Thanks! I wasn't aware of this. It'll be fixed for the next update.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#89]

It's probobly not a common occurance since default/common fonts don't raise the error, so I do appreciate the fix.