FIrst multi-threaded app

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/FIrst multi-threaded app

JoshK(Posted 2009) [#1]
Here is my first multi-threaded app written in BlitzMax 1.32. It's a .dds batch converter with lots of cool options like mask correction and faded mipmaps. Thanks to Benjamin Rössig for his help with the threading stuff. Source is included.

About a 60% improvement in performance was seen on a quad core when threading was used. Gains were much more significant as the number of threads was increased. I ended up using a number of threads equal to the CPU core count times 8.

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi Leadworks, wow that's some increase in speed, is there a simple way to check the Core/HyperThread count?

Do you think a game could take advantage of this e.g. Thread each for Input, AI, Graphics, Sound?

Arowx(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hi Leadworks I checked your code nice one so the call to GetSystemInfo returns the number of CPU's!

Brazilian Joe(Posted 2009) [#4]
[EDIT] Posted to the wrong thread. I think the website mixed up my post, as I had different tabs opened. But it could have been humand error indeed.... Posted on Safari 4.0.2

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#5]
So you were using 32 threads. Nice coding btw. I'm trying to get my head around threads and this is helping out immensely. Thanks.