BlitzMax latest version?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Programming/BlitzMax latest version?

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#1]
I don't come by these forums everyday- in fact, I may go a week or so between visits. This means I sometimes miss when important info is given to us. So, can someone fill me in on what is happening...

- The SVN dev version was removed some time ago. Is it coming back, or will the old updating function return? For the past 4 years I've grown pretty accustom to updating BlitzMax between major releases and I would hope some method of updating will still be offered.

- I originally downloaded BlitzMax132a, and then I think I downloaded BlitzMax132b when I heard about it, but now I see BlitzMax132rc2 for download. Is "rc2" different than "b"? Is there a change log somewhere?

- Oh, and what happened to Mark's worklog?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
SVN. Is it coming back?

Very unlikely.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#3]
If you make the decision not to visit the forums, it is rather unfair to pop in and ask for updates on what you missed. It would be easier to search the forums for the necessary info, or visit the forums more often.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
- The SVN version probably won't be back. He's opted to replace it with release candidates in future. At least that way bug reports will be easier to manage as there won't be a hundred different versions out there depending on what day everybody last updated.

- I don't know if RC2 is different to B, so I just installed it anyway to be sure.

- Mark's worklog disappeared long ago. It probably caused more work/questions/complaints/arguments than it was worth.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#5]
It probably caused more work/questions/complaints/arguments than it was worth.
That is the understatement of the year :(

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Is "rc2" different than "b"? Is there a change log somewhere?

Probably the same, marksibly just changed the naming convention at that point. Yes and no, yes for the version no for the build/rc.

DIJ(Posted 2009) [#7]
I thought it went like this: -
a = Alpha
b = Beta
rc = Release Candidate (with numbers rc1, rc2)

Then you get the final version.

Tachyon(Posted 2009) [#8]
I thought it went like this: -
a = Alpha
b = Beta
rc = Release Candidate (with numbers rc1, rc2)

Ahh! Of course. Thank you for clarifying- I mean, at least that makes the most sense.

If you make the decision not to visit the forums, it is rather unfair to pop in and ask for updates on what you missed. It would be easier to search the forums for the necessary info, or visit the forums more often.

Fair enough. Then I wish I didn't have to search for critical information on a product I base my livelihood on. If Mark isn't going to keep a worklog, he should at least post important news like "No more SVN" and "1.32 RC2 now available, changelog below" in a place where we can easily keep abreast on news.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#9]
I for one have been visiting the forums regularly but still find it hard to keep up so this thread is a nice summary, thanks for starting it.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#10]
I for one have been visiting the forums regularly but still find it hard to keep up so this thread is a nice summary, thanks for starting it.

So true.

It would be nice to have release notes included in the downloads section or something...the releases seem overly rushed and unorganized for such a commercial product. I check a good amount of the forum sections here daily and I still find myself out of the loop occasionally on what is going on.

A good example is people are STILL just discovering "oh, max3d was released? SINCE WHEN?!". Normally that's unacceptable...but luckily blitz community isn't a riot haven, but abnormally friendly to the general public compared to most development communities. (Seriously, don't bother arguing that...this community is great compared to any other i've seen)

But unfortunately it becomes a community job to pick up the mess left over and put it together for everyone else out of the loop.

This is just my harsh, semi-complimenting opinion. It really isn't that big of a deal, but I think it is an issue that could use some working on.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
IMHO, official news should ALWAYS be stickied. Doesn't seem to happen much here :/